Lanman87

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
At baptism?

38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

When we believe/come to faith?

13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit Eph 1:13
2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Gal 3:2
14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith. Gal 3:14

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'd lean toward "Baptism." But IN ANY CASE, it's before faith arose in us because "no one can say 'Jesus is Lord' without the Holy Spirit." Or as we proclaim in the ancient ecumenical Creed, "We believe in the Holy Spirit - the Lord and Giver of Life."

Lanman87

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'd lean toward "Baptism." But IN ANY CASE, it's before faith arose in us because "no one can say 'Jesus is Lord' without the Holy Spirit." Or as we proclaim in the ancient ecumenical Creed, "We believe in the Holy Spirit - the Lord and Giver of Life."

So what do you do with people who have come to faith and have not yet been baptized? Would you tell someone who has professed faith that they are "regenerate" or "Saved" even though, for whatever reason, (maybe a class for new Christians or to plan for family to be at the baptism) they have not yet been baptized?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So what do you do with people who have come to faith and have not yet been baptized?

God is not limited to Baptism. While I believe that the Holy Spirit can work via Baptism, He can work otherwise, too. The usual example is the thief on the cross, who expresses faith but obviously was never baptized. Or even Abraham who is praised in Hebrews for his faith but was never baptized. But just because some have faith and were not previously baptized does not prove that God thus cannot work via baptism.... it only suggests He can work in other ways, too.

Would you tell someone who has professed faith that they are "regenerate" or "Saved" even though, for whatever reason, (maybe a class for new Christians or to plan for family to be at the baptism) they have not yet been baptized?

Of course.

Last edited:

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I came to faith somewhere in Sept/Oct of 1984 but was not baptized until February of 1985. I don't think one can have saving faith apart from the operation of the Holy Spirit. What is "the gift of the Holy Spirit" in Acts 2:38? Is it not the indwelling of the Spirit in the believer? But if the believer already received that indwelling before baptism, then what is baptism for him? Does any adult come to baptism before receiving faith? I don't think so unless they are a hypocrite just making show.

Lanman87

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I came to faith somewhere in Sept/Oct of 1984 but was not baptized until February of 1985. I don't think one can have saving faith apart from the operation of the Holy Spirit. What is "the gift of the Holy Spirit" in Acts 2:38? Is it not the indwelling of the Spirit in the believer? But if the believer already received that indwelling before baptism, then what is baptism for him? Does any adult come to baptism before receiving faith? I don't think so unless they are a hypocrite just making show.

For those of us who come from a tradition that is credo-baptist the idea that Baptism is the cause of the Holy Spirit indwelling a person is foreign to us.

The normative experience is that we preach the gospel, a person responds to the Gospel in faith (which is a result of the Holy Spirit at work to convert and bring someone to faith), and then they are baptized as a sign and seal of the conversion and to be formally joined in full fellowship with the local church.

In our tradition, personal faith is a work of the Holy Spirit and is Holy Spirit indwells and seals the one who has come to faith.

I'm trying to reconcile my tradition with the idea that The Holy Spirit is given at water baptism instead of conversion.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm trying to reconcile my tradition with the idea that The Holy Spirit is given at water baptism instead of conversion.

Those of us with the traditional view don't see this as "either/or". Conversion is always the work of the Holy Spirit (ALONE, EXCLUSIVELY) but that the Holy Spirit typically works through means.

There is a series of 12 posts HERE: Lutheran Perspective on Baptism

Each of these posts relates to the others (none meant to be in isolation) but note especially posts 6,7,10 and 12.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
For those of us who come from a tradition that is credo-baptist the idea that Baptism is the cause of the Holy Spirit indwelling a person is foreign to us.

That's the impression I had after reading that post.

However, the Holy Ghost does come to most Christians at the time of their baptism. When I say "most" I'm thinking of the conventional, historic, and majority view within Christendom, whether it's Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, or Protestantism.

As for those Christians of another tradition who won't baptize anyone until he's had a personal conversion experience acceptable to the church leaders, the Holy Ghost may well have come to such a person prior to Baptism.

In other words, there is the norm...and then there are also some exceptions.

If a church delays the baptism of a child, that is to be understood in much the same way as we understand "Baptism of Desire" and Baptism of Blood," which are other exceptions.

The first concerns the person who, because of some very unusual conditions, wants to be baptized and does believe but outside forces make it impossible, is considered to have been baptized in effect. And the second exception refers to the case of a person who, having accepted the Lord as Savior, is killed for it before baptism is possible.

Last edited:

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
I think Acts is more about the saved living in OT Israel entering the New Covenant. In the OT the Spirit was with the few believers. But now IN each believer since Pentecost.

“Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.” John 14:17 (KJV 1900)

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
At baptism?

38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38

When we believe/come to faith?

13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit Eph 1:13
2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Gal 3:2
14 so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith. Gal 3:14
When I was forgiven ,I was washed clean.
Aug 31,1998

prism

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Galatians 3:2 (KJV) This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

This rhetorical question is answered with "the hearing of faith".

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit you must have or you would not believe. It proves that Christ died for you else you could not believe, It proves he did not die for any who perish in unbelief. Jesus said of you, “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” John 6:37 (KJV 1900)

Last edited:

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Everyone who has recieved the holy ghost knows the exact moment they recieved it. The apostles never forgot the day they recieved.
I recieved the holy ghost Aug 31 1998.it was on a Monday around noon and I had been to the library earlier that day. I was in my bedroom nealing on the floor praying when I recieved it. I was asking to be forgiven of my sins and asking to be saved. Then I felt the spirit complely cover me. I could feel the spirit inside of me. I remember feeling like a child like I had not felt since i was a small child and I was covered with goose bumps from head to toe.
It was the happiest day of my life and nothing like it. I still feel the spirit when I testify of Christ but nothing like that first day. And it is a day I will never forget.

Last edited:
Top Bottom