What do you think about Jude quoting Enoch?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
When someone uses words that are hardly ever used by the general yeomanry, then they’re not helping to effulge much light on the colloquy, but instead just makes them appear to be obfuscating their knavishness with intellectual patois.
Did you mean pathios instead of patois?
While the english letters seem similar.
The definititions are separated by and far from greek to french.

Linguististics youngin

Rashi is a traitor to yhdh and attempted to ally the french with israel
"Yeomanry"

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
When someone uses words that are hardly ever used by the general yeomanry, then they’re not helping to effulge much light on the colloquy, but instead just makes them appear to be obfuscating their knavishness with intellectual patois.

Or maybe they just don't operate in exactly the same way you do. Maybe they just have a larger vocabulary than you do.

If you talk with a group of philosophers and then talk with a group of dockers you'll probably find they use very different language. You don't really get to complain about terms of reference if you reason with someone and don't like the words they use. If you ask a question to a group of people you'll probably find, as it would appear you did, that some use words you find easy and some use words you find difficult. Hence the advice to look in a dictionary, rather than making your own assumptions about what words are in common use.

For what it's worth, nobody else was complaining about the vocabulary being used. So perhaps the words you claim are so seldom used are just words you don't happen to know, in which case the suggestion to look in a dictionary takes on a new relevance.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Or maybe they just don't operate in exactly the same way you do. Maybe they just have a larger vocabulary than you do.

If you talk with a group of philosophers and then talk with a group of dockers you'll probably find they use very different language. You don't really get to complain about terms of reference if you reason with someone and don't like the words they use. If you ask a question to a group of people you'll probably find, as it would appear you did, that some use words you find easy and some use words you find difficult. Hence the advice to look in a dictionary, rather than making your own assumptions about what words are in common use.

For what it's worth, nobody else was complaining about the vocabulary being used. So perhaps the words you claim are so seldom used are just words you don't happen to know, in which case the suggestion to look in a dictionary takes on a new relevance.
Docker is very specific.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Do you know the name of a swords edge?

Last edited:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Do you know the name of a swords edge?
No I don't.

do you know the name of a shoe strings end?

You know the little plastic thingies?
;)

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No I don't.

do you know the name of a shoe strings end?

You know the little plastic thingies?
;)
Tie ends?

My question was pointing to hebrew name meanings in the first 10 generations in the line of seth.

To which has relevance to the op.
So please refrain from mockery.

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Tie ends?

My question was pointing to hebrew name meanings in the first 10 generations in the line of seth.

To which has relevance to the op.
So please refrain from mockery.

How was I suppose to know what you meant? Your question was about an edge of a sword, since my reply I have gathered more clues..

A Hebrew word for "swords edge" that is also the name of one of first 10 descendents of Seth.

Okay I give up. Who's name means 'edge of a sword' and how does it relate to Jude quoting Enoch?

I at least know it's not Enoch/Henoch who's name I believe means "inauguration" ...if im not mistaken

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
How was I suppose to know what you meant? Your question was about an edge of a sword, since my reply I have gathered more clues..

A Hebrew word for "swords edge" that is also the name of one of first 10 descendents of Seth.

Okay I give up. Who's name means 'edge of a sword' and how does it relate to Jude quoting Enoch?

I at least know it's not Enoch/Henoch who's name I believe means "inauguration" ...if im not mistaken
Chanoch means dedicated. Like chanocha.
And as the 7th in lineage from seth is likened to shabbat.

Last edited:

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Anybody here even read the book of Enoch?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Anybody here even read the book of Enoch?
I have read the convoluted nonsense and found that it is a work from around the 1700s at earliest revolving around a macabre dogma similar to the theatrical peice called dante's inferno.

That has nothing to do with yair mentioning enoch.

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I have read the convoluted nonsense and found that it is a work from around the 1700s at earliest revolving around a macabre dogma similar to the theatrical peice called dante's inferno.
You compare it to Dante's Inferno so I assume you read them both, I find that a bit ironic since these two books in which you have read so thoroughly as to make it your point, you find such hatred for.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
You compare it to Dante's Inferno so I assume you read them both, I find that a bit ironic since these two books in which you have read so thoroughly as to make it your point, you find such hatred for.
Scoffing at nonsense is far from hatred.
It's a principle I learned at an early age in my education.
You ever wonder why western english curriculum demands the study of fiction alongside mythos?
Instead of focusing on the language in a functional manner.

Heheh I can only imagine what an apartment lease written in mythos style would sound like.
Probably like a Disney princess story.
You're free once a prince finds and changes you

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Scoffing at nonsense is far from hatred.
It's a principle I learned at an early age in my education.
You ever wonder why western english curriculum demands the study of fiction alongside mythos?
Instead focusing on the language in a functional manner.
I can't speak for the entire book of Enoch but the majority text is described as being apocalyptic from early on, well before the 1700s.

The question remains, did Jude quote the prophecy of Enoch from divine scripture or from uninspired non prophetic writings?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I can't speak for the entire book of Enoch but the majority text is described as being apocalyptic from early on, well before the 1700s.

The question remains, did Jude quote the prophecy of Enoch from divine scripture or from uninspired non prophetic writings?
Those that have not tasted death, exercise judgement.

[ Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,]
Deuteronomy 33:2

Last edited:

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

That has nothing to do with yair mentioning enoch.

1700?
Then how did Tertullian know about it?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Those that have not tasted death, exercise judgement.

[ Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,]
Deuteronomy 33:2

Glad you agree its prophetic and Jude is quoting Enoch, not Deuteronomy, thus it's prophetic scripture

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Again I did not quote those passages. That is just another one of your pitiful attempts to divert attention.

Again I quoted 1 Cor. 15:29-34. Here Paul simply says "'Do not be deceived: "'Bad company ruins good morals.'" That's it. He does NOT, as you falsely claimed, "made it clear that he was quoting someone else’s literature, not the Bible." Thus your statement is completely false.

Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? Why are we tin danger every hour? I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day! What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.

Here we have a clear example of Paul quoting a non-Scriptural source (bold red) together with (in fact right next to) Scripture (bold blue).

You said "Paul made it clear that he was quoting someone else’s literature, not the Bible." Nowhere in the above passage does Paul make "it clear he was quoting someone else’s literature." Thus your claim is blatantly false. I have done exactly what I set out to do, just as I did when I proved Jude did not quote Enoch "word-for-word verbatim" as you erroneously declared.

When did Menander ever say “Bad company corrupts good morals”?

And when does Paul specifically say that he’s quoting someone in this passage?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Again I did not quote those passages. That is just another one of your pitiful attempts to divert attention.

Again I quoted 1 Cor. 15:29-34. Here Paul simply says "'Do not be deceived: "'Bad company ruins good morals.'" That's it. He does NOT, as you falsely claimed, "made it clear that he was quoting someone else’s literature, not the Bible." Thus your statement is completely false.

Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? Why are we tin danger every hour? I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day! What do I gain if, humanly speaking, I fought with beasts at Ephesus? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.” Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame.

Here we have a clear example of Paul quoting a non-Scriptural source (bold red) together with (in fact right next to) Scripture (bold blue).

You said "Paul made it clear that he was quoting someone else’s literature, not the Bible." Nowhere in the above passage does Paul make "it clear he was quoting someone else’s literature." Thus your claim is blatantly false. I have done exactly what I set out to do, just as I did when I proved Jude did not quote Enoch "word-for-word verbatim" as you erroneously declared.

Jude specifies that he’s quoting Enoch.
Paul never specifies that he’s quoting Menander.

Jude indicates that he’s quoting the scriptures.
Paul never indicates that he’s quoting the scriptures.

Your comparison is nonsense.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Paul never specified that he’s quoting Menander. Why must we assume that he is?

Because the phrase “Bad company corrupts good character” is found nowhere in the Old Testament, but is found in a play written by Menander.

If we must assume that Paul is quoting Menander simply because his words sound similar, then by that same logic we must also assume that Matthew quoted Judith.

Matthew used the phrase “like sheep without a shepherd”.

That phrase is found nowhere in the Old Testament. But is IS found in the book of Judith.

"Then I will lead you through Judea to Jerusalem, and I will set your throne in her midst. You will drive them out like sheep without a shepherd, and not even a dog will growl at you. This was predicted to me and announced to me, and I was sent to tell you.”
-Judith 11:19 (CEB)

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd."
-Matthew 9:36 (NIV)

By your very own logic that you use to say that Paul is quoting Menander, we must also assume that Matthew is quoting Judith.

If we must assume that Paul is quoting Menander simply because his words sound similar to something Menander said, then by that same logic we must assume that Matthew is quoting the book of Judith, simply because his words sound similar to something the book of Judith said.

Top Bottom