Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I know an elder among Jehovah's witnesses and, naturally enough, for him God's covenant name is of paramount importance. He uses "Jehovah" as the way to spell and pronounce God's name. That spelling is mistaken but it isn't hugely important to me that their chosen spelling isn't quite right; after all, we spell the Lord's name as "Jesus" and we know that is not quite right too.

But for the elder from Jehovah's witnesses "Jehovah" has a very specific meaning. It is explained like this:
(Je·hoʹvah) [the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha·wahʹ (become); meaning “He Causes to Become”].​
The personal name of God. (Isa 42:8; 54:5) Though Scripturally designated by such descriptive titles as “God,” “Sovereign Lord,” “Creator,” “Father,” “the Almighty,” and “the Most High,” his personality and attributes—who and what he is—are fully summed up and expressed only in this personal name.—Ps 83:18. [Insight on the Scriptures]​
Catholics present a different derivation and meaning.
Jahveh (Yahweh) is one of the archaic Hebrew nouns, such as Jacob, Joseph, Israel, etc. (cf. Ewald, "Lehrbuch der hebr. Sprache", 7th ed., 1863, p. 664), derived from the third person imperfect in such a way as to attribute to a person or a thing the action of the quality expressed by the verb after the manner of a verbal adjective or a participle. Furst has collected most of these nouns, and calls the form forma participialis imperfectiva. As the Divine name is an imperfect form of the archaic Hebrew verb "to be", Jahveh means "He Who is", Whose characteristic note consists in being, or The Being simply.​
Here we are confronted with the question, whether Jahveh is the imperfect hiphil or the imperfect qal . Calmet and Le Clere believe that the Divine name is a hiphil form; hence it signifies, according to Schrader (Die Keilinschriften und das Alte Testament, 2nd ed., p. 25), He Who brings into existence, the Creator; and according to Lagarde (Psalterium Hieronymi, 153), He Who causes to arrive, Who realises His promises, the God Providence. But this opinion is not in keeping with Exodus 3:14 , nor is there any trace in Hebrew of a hiphil form of the verb meaning "to be"; moreover, this hiphil form is supplied in the cognate languages by the pi'el form, except in Syriac where the hiphil is rare and of late occurrence.​
...​
Since then the Hebrew imperfect is admittedly not to be considered as a future, and since the nature of the language does not force us to see in it the expression of transition or of becoming, and since, moreover, early tradition is quite fixed and the absolute character of the verb hayah has induced even the most ardent patrons of its historical sense to admit in the texts a description of God's nature , the rules of hermeneutics urge us to take the expressions in Exodus 3:13-15 , for what they are worth. Jahveh is He Who Is, i.e., His nature is best characterised by Being, if indeed it must be designated by a personal proper name distinct from the term God (Revue biblique, 1893, p. 338). The scholastic theories as to the depth of meaning latent in Yahveh (Yahweh) rest, therefore, on a solid foundation. Finite beings are defined by their essence : God can be defined only by being, pure and simple, nothing less and nothing more; not be abstract being common to everything, and characteristic of nothing in particular, but by concrete being, absolute being, the ocean of all substantial being, independent of any cause, incapable of change, exceeding all duration, because He is infinite : "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, . . . who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty" ( Revelation 1:8 ). Cf. St. Thomas, I, qu. xiii, a. 14; Franzelin, "De Deo Uno" (3rd ed., 1883, thesis XXIII, pp. 279-86. [Catholic Encyclopedia]​
So Jehovah's witnesses see the name as meaning "He causes to become" and Catholics see the meaning of the name as "He who is".

Any thoughts?

John Steed

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That is just a lot of the names He has. Including also but of course, not limited to Lord, Savior, Christ, Everlasting God, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, etc. Existing, cause to become, and to come to pass. Lord has many names!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That is just a lot of the names He has. Including also but of course, not limited to Lord, Savior, Christ, Everlasting God, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, etc. Existing, cause to become, and to come to pass. Lord has many names!
Many titles, I agree, but many names? Not so much.
Isaiah 42:8 I am YHWH, that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to graven images.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Many titles, I agree, but many names? Not so much.
Isaiah 42:8 I am YHWH, that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to graven images.

I think he meant many titles.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Within the general context of the Exodus narrative, I see the emphasis on the name of God resting in His reality… I AM … I EXIST … I AM ETERNALLY UNCHANGING … the GOD who really is as contrasted to the many mute idols that are not GOD.

I think the polemic of Genesis 1 emphasizes the same reality … there is GOD (and nothing else like Him) and there are all of the myths that need to be swept aside.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
יהוה means Lord in Hebrew but the word Lord in hebrew derives from the Midian word for Love.
..And God said to Moses, “I am what I am.” And He said, “Thus shall you say to the Israelites, ‘Ehyeh (I-Am) sent me to you.’”
Ehyeh is I AM in English and is a first person singular imperfected aspect term for "I am I was I will be" and "the ever existing one..", Ehyeh sounds a lot like Yahwey, YHWH comes from the Latin alphabet and just like IHS stands for Iisoús (Jesus), YHWH is added with vowels and pronounced as Yahwey and Jehovah, "J" basically evolved from "G" due to Greek and Latin confusion with "I" 😵💫 thus for the greek Iisoús (Jesus) in the Latin alphabet became IHS, so they added a tail onto the I to distinguish the two pronunciations for "I", giving us "J" 🙁.. (h)ey-sus/G-sus = Jesus)

so its a 360, from the first person singular Ehyeh (I AM) to YHWH (Lord) to Yahwey (God) to Jehovah (Lord God) = I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD = JESUS, the I AM, EVERLASTING, ALPHA AND OMEGA, WHO IS AND WAS AND IS TO COME

God is Love
Love the Lord your God :)

Joshua1Eight

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Yes
I could be wrong but I think it means God

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes

Prepared

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
I know an elder among Jehovah's witnesses and, naturally enough, for him God's covenant name is of paramount importance. He uses "Jehovah" as the way to spell and pronounce God's name. That spelling is mistaken but it isn't hugely important to me that their chosen spelling isn't quite right; after all, we spell the Lord's name as "Jesus" and we know that is not quite right too.

But for the elder from Jehovah's witnesses "Jehovah" has a very specific meaning. It is explained like this:
(Je·hoʹvah) [the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha·wahʹ (become); meaning “He Causes to Become”].​
The personal name of God. (Isa 42:8; 54:5) Though Scripturally designated by such descriptive titles as “God,” “Sovereign Lord,” “Creator,” “Father,” “the Almighty,” and “the Most High,” his personality and attributes—who and what he is—are fully summed up and expressed only in this personal name.—Ps 83:18. [Insight on the Scriptures]​
Catholics present a different derivation and meaning.
Jahveh (Yahweh) is one of the archaic Hebrew nouns, such as Jacob, Joseph, Israel, etc. (cf. Ewald, "Lehrbuch der hebr. Sprache", 7th ed., 1863, p. 664), derived from the third person imperfect in such a way as to attribute to a person or a thing the action of the quality expressed by the verb after the manner of a verbal adjective or a participle. Furst has collected most of these nouns, and calls the form forma participialis imperfectiva. As the Divine name is an imperfect form of the archaic Hebrew verb "to be", Jahveh means "He Who is", Whose characteristic note consists in being, or The Being simply.​
Here we are confronted with the question, whether Jahveh is the imperfect hiphil or the imperfect qal . Calmet and Le Clere believe that the Divine name is a hiphil form; hence it signifies, according to Schrader (Die Keilinschriften und das Alte Testament, 2nd ed., p. 25), He Who brings into existence, the Creator; and according to Lagarde (Psalterium Hieronymi, 153), He Who causes to arrive, Who realises His promises, the God Providence. But this opinion is not in keeping with Exodus 3:14 , nor is there any trace in Hebrew of a hiphil form of the verb meaning "to be"; moreover, this hiphil form is supplied in the cognate languages by the pi'el form, except in Syriac where the hiphil is rare and of late occurrence.​
...​
Since then the Hebrew imperfect is admittedly not to be considered as a future, and since the nature of the language does not force us to see in it the expression of transition or of becoming, and since, moreover, early tradition is quite fixed and the absolute character of the verb hayah has induced even the most ardent patrons of its historical sense to admit in the texts a description of God's nature , the rules of hermeneutics urge us to take the expressions in Exodus 3:13-15 , for what they are worth. Jahveh is He Who Is, i.e., His nature is best characterised by Being, if indeed it must be designated by a personal proper name distinct from the term God (Revue biblique, 1893, p. 338). The scholastic theories as to the depth of meaning latent in Yahveh (Yahweh) rest, therefore, on a solid foundation. Finite beings are defined by their essence : God can be defined only by being, pure and simple, nothing less and nothing more; not be abstract being common to everything, and characteristic of nothing in particular, but by concrete being, absolute being, the ocean of all substantial being, independent of any cause, incapable of change, exceeding all duration, because He is infinite : "Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, . . . who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty" ( Revelation 1:8 ). Cf. St. Thomas, I, qu. xiii, a. 14; Franzelin, "De Deo Uno" (3rd ed., 1883, thesis XXIII, pp. 279-86. [Catholic Encyclopedia]​
So Jehovah's witnesses see the name as meaning "He causes to become" and Catholics see the meaning of the name as "He who is".

Any thoughts?
It's really hard to find ancient Hebrew definition.
One scholar says that when Moses first asked God who he was in the burning bush the English translation was I Am that I Am.

For me YHWH means the self existing one

Before he was called YHWH he was called El or Elohim - by the king and high priest of Salem, Melchizedek seemingly of the Canaanites - and when Abraham begin to worship Him. In which Salem also was renamed Jerusalem.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
YHWH is defined in scripture as Jesus Christ in the NT. How so? The Septuagint translates YHWH as Lord. This is the OT Bible the early Church used. So when they read it, and saw YHWH translated as Lord, it confirmed Jesus is Lord (YHWH). Also, Granville Sharp's rule translates some obscure verses this way. “as we wait for the happy fulfillment of our hope in the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.He gave himself for us to set us free from every kind of lawlessness and to purify for himself a people who are truly his, who are eager to do good.” Titus 2:13–14 (NET)

“Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:” 2 Peter 1:1 (ESV)

“Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)

“and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they were all drinking from the spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ.” (1 Corinthians 10:4)

The critical apparatus from Nestle Alund #27 and #28 also confirm these translations.

Here's more if you are interested.

kurios greek for Jehovah

“And God spoke to Moses and said to him, “I am the Lord (kurios).” Exodus 6:2 (LES = Septuagint)

“God spoke to Moses and said to him, “I am the LORD [YHWH].” Exodus 6:2 (ESV)

“but Paul chose Silas and departed, having been commended by the brothers to the grace of the Lord.” Acts 15:40 (ESV)

“And Paul chose Silas, and departed, being recommended by the brethren unto the grace of God.” Acts 15:40 (KJV 1900)

So again we see God and Lord used interchangeably. Also in 2 Peter 2:1 and 2 Peter 2:11.

The Greek word kurios is equivalent to the Hebrew word Yahweh or Jehovah when speaking of Jesus. This is the divine name for God. Jesus Christ is designated as the Lord in many New Testament references. This is the consistent truth of Scripture - Jesus is Yahweh or Jehovah.

kurios = Jehovah in Exodus 6:2 in the LXX. Translated Lord 3,151 times in the NT as upper case Lord = Jehovah.

Nestle-Aland

“Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.” Jude 5 (ESV)

“Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; And let him be your fear, and let him be your dread. And he shall be for a sanctuary; But for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, For a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, And be snared, and be taken.” Isaiah 8:13–15 (KJV 1900)

“Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.” 1 Corinthians 10:9 (KJV 1900)

Top Bottom