Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Were children required to get vaccinations in the 1960's? I don't remember these heated debates about it before. Parents are begging other parents to get their kids vaccinated. What is your opinion?

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We were vaccinated in the 60s. There were not as many back then as there are now. As I was a child then, I do not know for sure if we were required to have them. In the 80s and 90s, when my children were young, they were required for school. Around this time is when there became more vaccines. Since the turn of the century, there seemed to be a rise in antivaccers. Many of the reasons are not based on scientific fact. The vaccine question seems to be based more on emotion in my opinion.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Since the turn of the century, there seemed to be a rise in antivaccers. Many of the reasons are not based on scientific fact. The vaccine question seems to be based more on emotion in my opinion.

I suspect a large part of the issue is that individuals can see the world around them and can't see a larger collection of data. If you know someone personally whose child became a bit of an oddball right after getting a specific vaccine it's only natural that you'll be suspicious of the vaccine. If your own child suffered something right after vaccination you'll naturally be hesitant to give your next child the same vaccine.

The trouble with such a limited pool of data is that it's impossible to know whether the vaccine was a direct cause of the issue, an indirect cause, or totally unrelated - we just see an apparent side-effect closely following a potential trigger event.

The scientific community, in theory at least, has a collection of far more data points that can be used to help determine whether there is a causal link between the two, also looking to rule out placebo effects. I remember reading an article about the testing of the covid vaccine that indicated the "soft side effects" (the ones that were self-reported and largely subjective, such as aches and soreness at the injection site) were very common but occurred almost as often with the placebo as with the actual vaccine.

That then turns the entire situation into a matter of whether people trust the scientific community to tell them the truth and the whole truth. Probably the biggest problem with the covid situation is that this trust has been damaged, potentially beyond repair. When people lose trust in the scientific/medical establishment it becomes very difficult to persuade them to do much of anything.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Were children required to get vaccinations in the 1960's? I don't remember these heated debates about it before. Parents are begging other parents to get their kids vaccinated. What is your opinion?
In the Netherlands the strict reformed never let their kids get vaccinated, because they believed sickness came from God and it was only a problem in those places where they lived/live. It's still the same. It doesn't bother the others, who live elsewhere, so there are not many complaints and I think there are not as many anymore now. In the 60s kids stayed at home with mom. Now they all go to childcare and it's irritating when they make other kids sick.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Back then, in the U.S., people still had a some what trust in their government.

That has long since gone.

Lees

Top Bottom