Thoughts on punishment for those who abuse animals?

Shortie

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
I am a huge animal lover myself having grown up with cats, dogs, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, budgies, cockatiels, the list goes on and since getting older, I have also had my own cat and my kids have had guinea pigs as well.

Something I always hate to see is animal abuse and as much as I know that there are punishments for animal abuse, I also feel that in most cases, some animal abuse does either get ignored or not punished enough.

What are your thoughts on animal abuse? Do you feel more needs to be done to try and prevent and stop it?

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Yes. We have a political party called Party of the animals.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am a huge animal lover myself having grown up with cats, dogs, rabbits, hamsters, gerbils, budgies, cockatiels, the list goes on and since getting older, I have also had my own cat and my kids have had guinea pigs as well.

Something I always hate to see is animal abuse and as much as I know that there are punishments for animal abuse, I also feel that in most cases, some animal abuse does either get ignored or not punished enough.

What are your thoughts on animal abuse? Do you feel more needs to be done to try and prevent and stop it?
I can't give a blanket answer to that question, but it does seem as though animal abusers are often given rather light sentences if and when their activities even make it to a judge or magistrate.

In order to test my reply there, I then Googled the question about any such offender and his or her sentencing, if any.

The first news story that showed up described a woman who had kept nearly 100 cats and kittens in "inhumane" conditions such that some of them then had to be put to sleep. She pled guilty but gave no explanation for her actions. With the agreement of the prosecution, she was sentenced by the judge to probation and unspecified community service.

Last edited:

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Theist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Any self-proclaimed "animal lover" should be a vegan, otherwise they are a hypocrite. The fact that they randomly choose which animals are for eating and what animals are for companionship seems like a pretty absurd concept to me.

Whenever I try to argue with my relatives about the absurdity of purchasing bags of minced animal flesh from the store ("cat food") to feed other animals (the cats) while calling yourself an animal lover, I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Any self-proclaimed "animal lover" should be a vegan, otherwise they are a hypocrite.
No. There is no direct connection there between raising animals for food (in prescribed conditions, of course) and simply torturing or starving animals. What's more, there is no doubt that the Bible authorizes the eating of animals.

The fact that they randomly choose which animals are for eating and what animals are for companionship seems like a pretty absurd concept to me.
Is it purely random? Offhand, I'd consider cattle and snails to be poor candidates for companionship or for hunting purposes, etc. while other animals are universally considered to be better choices.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Any self-proclaimed "animal lover" should be a vegan, otherwise they are a hypocrite. The fact that they randomly choose which animals are for eating and what animals are for companionship seems like a pretty absurd concept to me.

Whenever I try to argue with my relatives about the absurdity of purchasing bags of minced animal flesh from the store ("cat food") to feed other animals (the cats) while calling yourself an animal lover, I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.
It's waste from the meat what they give to cats. But I do think it's crazy that someone gets a punishment for treating a dog bad, but putting all these chickens together with no space, oh thats fine cause it's cheap.
Killing the male chicks immediately, evil. Good that they forbid that now. They do lock places that really abuse them, but yes it's very double.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

There is certainly 'animal abuse' which should be addressed and punished. But as with all 'rights activists' they swing the pendulum to far the other way.

Lees

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

A lot depends on how you define animal abuse.

In some places it's considered abuse to leave an animal alone for more than a couple of hours. In others you can leave a dog chained outside for days at a time as long as you give it food and water.

As with so much else it's a matter of degree.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Theist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Is it purely random? Offhand, I'd consider cattle and snails to be poor candidates for companionship or for hunting purposes, etc. while other animals are universally considered to be better choices.
Why do the animals that are not fit for companionship must be used as food for those that are fit? It's absurd to call yourself an "animal lover" and choose as companionship animals carnivorous species that require other animals' flesh as nourishment. If you only care about the wellbeing of certain species (such as cats), fine, call yourself a "cat lover", but not an "animal lover".

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I'm not sure there's a lot about selection of animals for companionship that's random. Yes, some people prefer dogs, cats, rabbits etc. Not very many people decide to keep peacocks, rhinoceroses or emus as domestic pets. There may be a reason for this.

As for which animals are good to eat I suppose that's a question of how easy it is to raise an animal, how good the meat is and how much of it there is. There's more meat on a cow than a squirrel, for example. And cows don't run up trees to escape the way squirrels do.

Probably because cats require meat. Would you prefer someone fed their cat a diet that didn't meet its needs?

Ammi

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
The Lord wants us to treat animals humanely. If I catch a fish to keep, I don't let it suffocate on the ground, I kill it quickly. There are those who value animals equally to or of even more worth than people. This is demonic. If someone abuses animals, then perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to have any.
I have no qualms shooting a deer. I was raised on deer and moose my father shot. People who have spent their whole lives in cities can lose touch with reality. Don't hurt the animal, but it's fine to castrate your little boys. Some people should not be allowed to have children.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
-

Last edited:

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Theist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The fact that some animals are easier to raise as pets than others shouldn't automatically make the ones that are not easier to raise as pets eligible to be used as food.

People who call themselves "animal lovers" shouldn't raise carnivorous animals.

And there are some arbitrary laws that make it illegal to raise as pets some animals that are completely harmless and easy to care for. For example: capybaras are a lot less dangerous to humans than some dog breeds that are legal to own, but capybaras are banned in many countries and US states.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The fact that some animals are easier to raise as pets than others shouldn't automatically make the ones that are not easier to raise as pets eligible to be used as food.
They're all eligible for being used as food. That wasn't the point.
And there are some arbitrary laws that make it illegal to raise as pets some animals that are completely harmless and easy to care for. For example: capybaras are a lot less dangerous to humans than some dog breeds that are legal to own, but capybaras are banned in many countries and US states.
Well, that's government for ya. It doesn't prove anything, one way or the other, about which species make good pets, etc.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Says who?

Besides, it's not as simple as "hard to raise as pets = used as food". The Koreans eat dogs. Armadillos aren't great pets and aren't widely eaten as food.

People who call themselves "animal lovers" shouldn't raise carnivorous animals.

Says who?

Can't I love cats without someone else's permission?

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything but, you know, okay I guess.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Why do the animals that are not fit for companionship must be used as food for those that are fit? It's absurd to call yourself an "animal lover" and choose as companionship animals carnivorous species that require other animals' flesh as nourishment. If you only care about the wellbeing of certain species (such as cats), fine, call yourself a "cat lover", but not an "animal lover".

What an idiotic statement. You, as most 'animal lovers' live in a dream world. Why don't you protest the animals killing other animals to eat. Apparently the animals are not animal lovers. They don't care one way or the other. They care only for their stomach.

What animals have you ate in your life time? Go ahead...lie to me.

Lees

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Theist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Can't I love cats without someone else's permission?
You can love cats and call yourself a "cat lover", but if you feed your cats meat bought from the store, which you know is created by killing other animals, you are not an animal lover. You are a "cat lover", "dog lover" and whatever other animal species you choose to love "lover", but not an animal lover.

Apparently the animals are not animal lovers. They don't care one way or the other. They care only for their stomach.
Indeed. I know of no animal that calls itself an "animal lover". They're inferior creatures, which means that we have a responsibility to protect them, because with power comes responsibility. That's what angels, who are superior to us, do in regards to us.

What animals have you ate in your life time? Go ahead...lie to me.
I don't call myself an animal lover, but I strive to eat as little meat as possible. Life circumstances, such as being disabled, prevent me from being a vegan.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You can love cats and call yourself a "cat lover", but if you feed your cats meat bought from the store, which you know is created by killing other animals, you are not an animal lover. You are a "cat lover", "dog lover" and whatever other animal species you choose to love "lover", but not an animal lover.
Okay. But the problem may lie with the term "Animal Lover" which is a loaded term like many others that are in use these days and have become "fightin' words."
I don't call myself an animal lover, but I strive to eat as little meat as possible.
and that's your choice. If others choose to eat animal flesh, there's nothing wrong with them doing that, SUBJECT TO other considerations such as conditions under which animals are raised for food, which species we're talking about, and etc. But the idea that people who eat meat are somehow immoral or something along those lines is going too far. As noted, humans have always eaten meat and Our Lord himself helped some of them do it!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

So what if I love cats, dogs, squirrels, hamsters, gerbils, snakes, birds, horses, turtles, millipedes and armadillos while accepting that chicken remains are ground up and made into cat food? Do I get to call myself an animal lover? And who gets to decide what I can call myself?

Indeed. I know of no animal that calls itself an "animal lover". They're inferior creatures, which means that we have a responsibility to protect them, because with power comes responsibility. That's what angels, who are superior to us, do in regards to us.

Why do we have to protect them? We kill some animals to protect others. We kill some animals to protect crops. We kill other animals to protect ourselves. This idea that a lesser being must be protected at all costs is absurd. Since an insect is an inferior creature to a bird, should we protect the precious insects from the nasty birds trying to eat them? Should we protect mice from cats? It's hard to see how that's very loving to the bird or the cat, both of which are simply trying to eat.

I don't call myself an animal lover, but I strive to eat as little meat as possible. Life circumstances, such as being disabled, prevent me from being a vegan.

If you choose not to eat meat that's all well and good, and a decision you have the absolute right to make. You don't have the absolute right to tell anyone else that they shouldn't eat meat in order to satisfy your curious ideas of what animals are more deserving than others.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Should we protect mice from cats? It's hard to see how that's very loving to the bird or the cat, both of which are simply trying to eat.
When I was a student living with other students it was such a mess that we got mice, so one got a cat to get rid of the mice and I was in my room and heard them screaming downstairs. They were all looking at how he was playing with a mouse and gonna catch it after torturing it to death. So I went downstairs, took the cat and locked him in my room. LOL that guy was so mad. Have to protect the cute little mousies.

Top Bottom