Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Suffering teaches us things, we grow in that wisdom and God can use that suffering to trust in Him more, strengthening our faith.

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
~
Discussions relative to the book of Job are sometimes prefaced by the comment
"Why The Righteous Suffer" and that's okay as far as it goes.

But I noticed a glaring lack of sympathy throughout the story. Even Job's wife was
compassion-challenged. Much of the dialogue revolves around fault-finding rather
than pity. A large percentage of the tale is spent Job-bashing.

I've heard tell of folks born with defective amygdalae which has the effect of
making it very easy for them to criticize, while at the same time nigh unto impossible
for them to feel empathy, i.e. to commiserate. I rather suspect Job's so-called
friends were in that category.
_

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Why did God allow the suffering of Job?

Important to note that the book of (Job) is the oldest in the Bible. It deals with a time before there was any written revelation from God. Mankind had a minimal knowledge of God in the Creation and in the heavens.

What man did know was that obedience brings blessing and approval from God and disobedience brings cursing and judgement from God. And suffering is certainly identified as a product of cursing and judgement. Thus if one is seen as suffering under terrible conditions they quickly come to the conclusion that this one has sinned and God is bringing judgement upon him. Thus Job's friends, and they were his friends, could only conclude that Job had sinned against God.

Job alone knew, however, that he had not sinned against God. Thus he could not understand why God brought on him this suffering. And the only answer God gave him in the end, was "who are you to question me". (Job 38-41) God didn't go into any explanation about His discussion with Satan concerning Job. And unless Job is the writer of the book of (Job), we don't know that he ever knew.

So because suffering does come with God's judgement, it doesn't always mean it is from God's judgement. God has chosen suffering as a learning tool for His people. The experience of it pushes us closer to God. It pushes our faith in God that He is in control. It literally forces our turning to Him for deliverance. And, though at the time we don't see it, we grow and mature in the faith.

I am convinced that Job, as good and righteous a man that he was, if this suffering had occurred upon one of his friends and not himself, he would have come to the same conclusion that his friends did about him. But now he new better. And so do we because it is recorded in the book of (Job).

Lees

believer07

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As tough as it, suffering does cause us to grow. Its up to us if that growth brings us closer to God or pushes us further away. Always choose to grow closer to God. :)

Top Bottom