Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
OK, I'm now at this gym where showing-off and being critical isn't allowed. It's basically a reaction to "gym idiots", you know the type - the ones pushing people around, making fun of people, and showing off their bodies 24/7! Anyhow, when I say that this gym is anti-bullying - it's for sure. It's written everywhere on their gym, different slogans and stuff.

OK, well, I have mixed feelings about this. I mean, does that make the place soft? Well, at least we can say this is a private company. They're not trying to force an agenda on the public sector - something, as we see on college campuses - which often causes an "opposite of what's intended backlash".

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't do gyms! I hate being around sweaty people. LOL I think the only time I really worked out in a gym was when we lived in an apartment for 2 months and the gym was part of the perks so I used it and then when I went on a cruise I wanted to workout. But I got hit on on day one on the cruise and never went back to the gym.

So I'm not sure the mentality of people at the normal gyms and I do like the idea where people can just go workout without being bothered by anyone else. I think fat people are pretty much aware that they're fat and don't need anyone reminding them about it as they try to better their bodies.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
I don't do gyms! I hate being around sweaty people. LOL I think the only time I really worked out in a gym was when we lived in an apartment for 2 months and the gym was part of the perks so I used it and then when I went on a cruise I wanted to workout. But I got hit on on day one on the cruise and never went back to the gym.

So I'm not sure the mentality of people at the normal gyms and I do like the idea where people can just go workout without being bothered by anyone else. I think fat people are pretty much aware that they're fat and don't need anyone reminding them about it as they try to better their bodies.

I don't mind other's smell, but I always bathe before going - and where clean clothes. Also, clean my upper area after the cardio part (the 1st section of the visit). Anyway, I never approve of fat shaming - unless it's people who are incredibly fat - but that wouldn't be mocking them, only giving advice.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't mind other's smell, but I always bathe before going - and where clean clothes. Also, clean my upper area after the cardio part (the 1st section of the visit). Anyway, I never approve of fat shaming - unless it's people who are incredibly fat - but that wouldn't be mocking them, only giving advice.

You clean your equipment after use, right? :poke: LOL I've actually seen men just walk away...Oh I forgot to mention I've worked out in hotel gyms too. They're almost always in use though.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
OK, I'm now at this gym where showing-off and being critical isn't allowed. It's basically a reaction to "gym idiots", you know the type - the ones pushing people around, making fun of people, and showing off their bodies 24/7! Anyhow, when I say that this gym is anti-bullying - it's for sure. It's written everywhere on their gym, different slogans and stuff.

OK, well, I have mixed feelings about this. I mean, does that make the place soft? Well, at least we can say this is a private company. They're not trying to force an agenda on the public sector - something, as we see on college campuses - which often causes an "opposite of what's intended backlash".

I liked your post - mainly because I like your cute little avatar :)

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I'm assuming your at the "judgment free zone" which is the same chain of gyms that I use. That particular group of gym really minimizes the staff's responsibility to teach people how to use the equipment in the right way. That can lead to injury. There are classes, but they aren't mandatory. I see people misusing the equipment all the time.
I sometimes have to wipe down the machine before as well as after I use it because the person before me didn't clean it when they were done.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Even if someone is incredibly fat there's nothing to be gained by shaming them. The guy puffing and panting after walking 100 yards on the treadmill at 1mph with no incline is still ahead of the guy sitting on the couch. If someone is so morbidly obese they could lose half their body weight and still be morbidly obese then what they really need is encouragement to keep going, even though their efforts look pretty pathetic when compared to others in the same gym. The crucial thing is to compare what they can do now to what they could do last month, not compare what they can do to what someone else can do. As one gym instructor said to me about the surplus padding aroud the middle, it didn't appear overnight and it won't disappear overnight.

Personally I wouldn't shower before going to the gym - there's not much point getting cleaned up to then do something that gets me hot and sweaty and needing to clean up again. It is pretty gross if people don't wipe down equipment after using it.

Showing off is a curious thing because it's so hard to define. The person prancing around might be an obvious show-off but the person lifting weights in a very precise manner, watching the mirror closely, maybe simply be working on their technique even if they do have a ripped physique and look like they are just showing off how much they can lift.

vince284

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
In all my years I have belonged to gyms of all types. I must be blind to show-offs and bullies. I also don’t notice people that are overweight or struggling with their health in the gym. I have liked all the gyms for different reasons and disliked them all too. Of course cleanliness comes to mind first. But, I have never been to a judgement free promoting gym, I had never heard of them until the TV commercials. We have several in my area and they look nice as I drive past, but because of health reasons I don’t go to any gym now. It’s not worth the cost since right now I’m limited and I can do everything I need to at home.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Gyms tend to attract a lot of people who think they're superior. Not sure it attracts more than other places.

Well, not sure if homophobia is justified at gyms. I guess somewhat - I suppose if you thought some guy was looking at you - especially in the showers.

Anyway, a good rule of thumb in such places is to avoid gawking at people, don't wear revealing shorts (you know what I mean), bathe or wash before and after the cardio part, generally mind your own business.

Last edited:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Gyms tend to attract a lot of people who think they're superior. Not sure it attracts more than other places.

Maybe I've just avoided those types. I'm sure there are some at gyms who are all about the image, but then isn't the purpose of going to the gym to become a better, healthier version of you? Going to the gym results in a benefit that everybody can see - nobody can see from the outside who is a genius and who is a dunce but it's pretty obvious at a glance who is fat and who is ripped.

Well, not sure if homophobia is justified at gyms. I guess somewhat - I suppose if you thought some guy was looking at you - especially in the showers.

I'm not sure what homophobia has to do with anything. I don't see it as justiified in any circumstances. Reacting badly to someone giving you the eye in the showers isn't homophobia any more than a woman taking exception to a guy gawking at her is misandry.

Anyway, a good rule of thumb in such places is to avoid gawking at people, don't wear revealing shorts (you know what I mean), bathe or wash before and after the cardio part, generally mind your own business.

Anything too revealing is going to attract attention, whether wanted or unwanted. Guys in revealing shorts, girls in particularly tight clothes, whatever - you can't really do something that shows off your body and then complain if people look at what you're showing. Minding your own business is usually good advice in almost any setting.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think this is a universal "unwritten" rule - taken quite seriously.

Truth is, typically, there are all kinds of "body types" at a fitness center - everyone from 13 to 93 - in nearly every physical condition imaginable, including disabled. It is a steadfast rule that - AT A MINIMUM - nothing negative is EVER said or remotely implied about anyone, hey, no matter what, they are HERE and they are DOING something about it. But it's okay to be supportive (but even that needs to be carefully worded).

THAT said, it is certain there is "showing off" and "checking out each other" at times going on.... But then that goes on in LOTS of places, lol

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Gyms are into pointless body worship. In fact, so much it seems like it would be a den of sexual harassment. Well, certainly bullying is going on.

Of course, the cultural right praises bullying is the un-softening of society. However, a gym throwing bullies out - I guess a crime against natural selection - is, oh wait - a thousand times better! :Nooo:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Gyms are into pointless body worship. In fact, so much it seems like it would be a den of sexual harassment. Well, certainly bullying is going on.

Of course, the cultural right praises bullying is the un-softening of society. However, a gym throwing bullies out - I guess a crime against natural selection - is, oh wait - a thousand times better! :Nooo:

Huh?

I guess I've never been to the gyms you're talking about. At the gym I used to go to the clientele included everyone from the bodybuilder to the guy who made me look skinny (and I was pushing 300lb at the time) who wobbled his way through short distances on the treadmill while pouring sweat. In time he, like me, lost weight but neither of us was interested in looking like Arnie, we just wanted to lose a bit of flab.

Top Bottom