The Doctrine of Limited Atonement Now in a Debate Approved Area.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
@1689Dave
This attempt on the part of a few radical Calvinists (more to pin up double predestination than Limited Atonement) simply ignores all the MANY clear, obvious, undeniable, VERBATIM Scriptures that specifically state that Jesus died for all people. All just deleted. Swept aside. And the submission of one verse which of course does not say "Jesus did not die for all but rather only for some unknown few." But they use logical fallacies to TRY to get it to justify the sweeping aside of all the many verses that do state Universal Atonement.

Their argument for limited atonement works like this in a syllogism:

Major premise:

Christ lays down his life for the Sheep (John 10:15)

Minor premise:

The pharisees are not Christ’s sheep (John 10:26)

Conclusion:

Therefore, Christ did not lay his life down for the Pharisees.

Stated without the prefix comments:

Christ lays down his life for the Sheep
The pharisees are not Christ’s sheep
Therefore, Christ did not lay his life down for the Pharisees

The problem is that its formally invalid.

Let's use an analogy which follows the same form and logical construct, but clearly demonstrates the invalidity of the form of the argument.

John loves his children.
Sally is not a child of John.
Therefore, John does not love Sally.

This is an invalid argument. It is a logical fallacy.

You can swap out any terms, and the result will be same.

What’s happened, is that the negative inference has been smuggled in, something like this.

The simple positive:

John loves his children

is converted into a simple negative via pure eisegesis:

John only loves his children.

Then the syllogism is followed out:

Sally is not a child of John

That is now is a valid form of an argument.

And if we bring this back to John 10:15, the syllogism now looks like this with the smuggled in negation:

Christ lays down his life only for the Sheep

These radical Calvinists start with Jesus did not die for all but only for some, and so read “Christ lays down his life for the Sheep” as being identical or as entailing, “Christ lays down his life only for the Sheep.” However, this is is an invalid negative inference. It's just a circular argument.

Whats actually going on in John 10 is more like this:

John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.
John 10:12 “He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.
John 10:13 “He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep.
John 10:14 “I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me,
John 10:15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
John 10:16: “I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.

The point is not about the death of Jesus but rather the loyalty of Christ to the sheep. These Calivinists have ripped it from context. The pharisees are the hirelings who abandon the sheep. Jesus is saying to them something like this, “I am not like you, who run away, rather I will lay my life down for the sheep, defending them to the end….”

Thus, the real emphasis and attention should be on this verse:

John 10:16 “I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.

When we put together v15 and v16, we see in the mind of Christ a special intention to gather and faithfully lay his life down for his sheep so that they may be saved to the uttermost. He came to earth, not as a hireling coming to a field, but to gather those given to him. This is the direction we should move in, not in pressing the limited extent of the expiation.

Yes, I realize I wasted all my time posting this to you... just as I did post 58 and every other post I and all others have written for you.

Last edited:

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
@1689Dave
This attempt on the part of a few radical Calvinists (more to pin up double predestination than Limited Atonement) simply ignores all the MANY clear, obvious, undeniable, VERBATIM Scriptures that specifically state that Jesus died for all people. All just deleted. Swept aside. And the submission of one verse which of course does not say "Jesus did not die for all but rather only for some unknown few." But they use logical fallacies to TRY to get it to justify the sweeping aside of all the many verses that do state Universal Atonement.

Their argument for limited atonement works like this in a syllogism:

Major premise:

Christ lays down his life for the Sheep (John 10:15)

Minor premise:

The pharisees are not Christ’s sheep (John 10:26)

Conclusion:

Therefore, Christ did not lay his life down for the Pharisees.

Stated without the prefix comments:

Christ lays down his life for the Sheep

The problem is that its formally invalid.

Let's use an analogy which follows the same form and logical construct, but clearly demonstrates the invalidity of the form of the argument.

John loves his children.
Sally is not a child of John.

This is an invalid argument. It is a logical fallacy.

You can swap out any terms, and the result will be same.

What’s happened, is that the negative inference has been smuggled in, something like this.

The simple positive:

John loves his children

is converted into a simple negative via pure eisegesis:

Then the syllogism is followed out:

Sally is not a child of John

That is now is a valid form of an argument.

And if we bring this back to John 10:15, the syllogism now looks like this with the smuggled in negation:

Christ lays down his life only for the Sheep

These radical Calvinists start with Jesus did not die for all but only for some, and so read “Christ lays down his life for the Sheep” as being identical or as entailing, “Christ lays down his life only for the Sheep.” However, this is is an invalid negative inference. It's just a circular argument.

Whats actually going on in John 10 is more like this:

John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.
John 10:12 “He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them.
John 10:13 “He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep.
John 10:14 “I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me,
John 10:15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
John 10:16: “I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.

The point is not about the death of Jesus but rather the loyalty of Christ to the sheep. These Calivinists have ripped it from context. The pharisees are the hirelings who abandon the sheep. Jesus is saying to them something like this, “I am not like you, who run away, rather I will lay my life down for the sheep, defending them to the end….”

Thus, the real emphasis and attention should be on this verse:

John 10:16 “I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.

When we put together v15 and v16, we see in the mind of Christ a special intention to gather and faithfully lay his life down for his sheep so that they may be saved to the uttermost. He came to earth, not as a hireling coming to a field, but to gather those given to him. This is the direction we should move in, not in pressing the limited extent of the expiation.

Yes, I realize I wasted all my time posting this to you... just as I did post 58 and every other post I and all others have written for you.

Did Jesus say he died for his sheep? Yes or no?

Did he tell the Pharisees they are not his sheep? yes or no?

Did he tell the Pharisees the reason they do not believe is because they are not his sheep? yes? or no?

Does this mean they do not believe because he did not die for them? yes? or no?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Did Jesus say he died for his sheep? Yes or no?

Did he tell the Pharisees they are not his sheep? yes or no?

Did he tell the Pharisees the reason they do not believe is because they are not his sheep? yes? or no?

Does this mean they do not believe because he did not die for them? yes? or no?

Read post 61.

Read post 58.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
John 10 shows that Jesus did not die for the Pharisees in his audience and that is why they did not believe.

“I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” John 10:11 (KJV 1900)

“But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.” John 10:26 (KJV 1900)

So, the reason the Pharisees did not believe, is because Jesus did not die for them.

This cannot be answered by the Universal Atonement proclaimers. Can anyone prove Jesus paid for the sins of any, not of his sheep?

“And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.” Matthew 25:32–33 (KJV 1900)

“Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:” Matthew 25:34 (KJV 1900)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 10 shows that Jesus did not die for the Pharisees

As you prove, it does not.

Your whole horrible, terrible invention is completely missing from Scripture, as you have persistently proven.

“And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.” Matthew 25:32–33 (KJV 1900)

“Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:” Matthew 25:34 (KJV 1900)

Here you are simply imposing your heresy of denying the role of faith. Sure, with your heresy, the only possible explanation is that sheep are the only ones Jesus died for and that He separates folks based on whether He died for them or not. But the whole basis is just a horrible, unbiblical heresy. Faith is NOT irrelevant, faith is ESSENTIAL.

When you find the Scripture that states, "No, Jesus did NOT die for all as God so often stated but rather ONLY for ___________" then not only will you begin to have something to talk about but finally (after 500 years) we'll finally know WHO are the lucky few. But brother, radical anti-Calvin folks have been looking for that verse for nearly 500 years and none of them have been able to do so. But hey, make a name for yourself! Be the first! Until then, you have nothing. Just a horrible, terrible, disgusting invention of a few radicals who disagreed with Calvin, the Bible, an Ecumenical Council and 1600 years of Christianity and wanted to counter an equally wrong idea of the Arminianists. You have nothing from Scripture. Or a Council. Or history. Or John Calvin. It just flows from your heresy of denying the essential role of faith in personal justification.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
As you prove, it does not.

Your whole horrible, terrible invention is completely missing from Scripture, as you have persistently proven.

Here you are simply imposing your heresy of denying the role of faith. Sure, with your heresy, the only possible explanation is that sheep are the only ones Jesus died for and that He separates folks based on whether He died for them or not. But the whole basis is just a horrible, unbiblical heresy. Faith is NOT irrelevant, faith is ESSENTIAL.

When you find the Scripture that states, "No, Jesus did NOT die for all as God so often stated but rather ONLY for ___________" then not only will you begin to have something to talk about but finally (after 500 years) we'll finally know WHO are the lucky few. But brother, radical anti-Calvin folks have been looking for that verse for nearly 500 years and none of them have been able to do so. But hey, make a name for yourself! Be the first! Until then, you have nothing. Just a horrible, terrible, disgusting invention of a few radicals who disagreed with Calvin, the Bible, an Ecumenical Council and 1600 years of Christianity and wanted to counter an equally wrong idea of the Arminianists. You have nothing from Scripture. Or a Council. Or history. Or John Calvin. It just flows from your heresy of denying the essential role of faith in personal justification.

You cannot refute Jesus. He spells out the problem with Pelagianism clearly.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 10 shows that Jesus did not die for the Pharisees in his audience and that is why they did not believe.

“I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” John 10:11 (KJV 1900)

“But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.” John 10:26 (KJV 1900)

So, the reason the Pharisees did not believe, is because Jesus did not die for them.

That may be the way you'd rather it be, but that passage doesn't say what you are claiming.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
That may be the way you'd prefer that it be, but that passage doesn't say what you are claiming.
Prove it does not. That's all I'm asking from you.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You cannot refute Jesus.

Nor do I. He said He died for all. It's you refuting Jesus.

I simply pointed out the obvious and undeniable; you said the John 10 states that Jesus did not die for some Pharisees - and then you yourself PROVED it says no such thing. You do this a lot, you seem to like shooting yourself in the foot, proving yourself to be wrong (appreciated; it saves us from needing to do so).

Here are just some of the verses that state Jesus died "For all" "for everyone" "the whole world."

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought THEM (false prophets who deny Him), and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

1 John 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Hebrews 2:9 But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

1 John 4:14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

1 Timothy 4:10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people.

2 Corinthians 5:15 And he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

2 Corinthians 5:19 That is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

1 Timothy 2:6 Who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

1 Timothy 2:5-6 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all.

Here are the verses that state Jesus did NOT die for all but ONLY for some few...

Cricklets....

Last edited:

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Nor do I. He said He died for all. It's you refuting Jesus.

I simply pointed out the obvious and undeniable; you said the John 10 states that Jesus did not die for some Pharisees - and then you yourself (AGI
But you cannot prove he said he died for anyone other than His sheep.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Why does John 10 matter? Jesus saying He died for his sheep places limits on whom he died for in the entire bible. His Sheep.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus saying He died for his sheep

Yes. As everyone here has agreed.

But your horrible invention, that He died ONLY for His sheep, is entirely missing from John 10, as everyone (including you) knows.

Now, when you find at least one Scripture that states your horrible invention, "Jesus died ONLY for __________," then quote it. But you won't. And we all know why (including you).

Here are just some of the verses that state Jesus died "For all" "for everyone" "the whole world."

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought THEM (false prophets who deny Him), and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

1 John 2:2 He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Hebrews 2:9 But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.

2 Corinthians 5:14-15 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

1 John 4:14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

1 Timothy 4:10 For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people.

2 Corinthians 5:15 And he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.

2 Corinthians 5:19 That is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

1 Timothy 2:6 Who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

1 Timothy 2:5-6 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all.

Here are the verses that state Jesus did NOT die for all but ONLY for __________:

Cricklets....

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Yes. As everyone here has agreed.

But your horrible invention, that He died ONLY for His sheep, is entirely missing from John 10, as everyone (including you) knows.

Now, when you find at least one Scripture that states your horrible invention, "Jesus died ONLY for __________," then quote it. But you won't. And we all know why (including you).

Here are the verses that state Jesus did NOT die for all but ONLY for __________:

Cricklets....

You have sheep and goats at the end of the world. Jesus died only for the sheep. You tell the goats he died for them also, but that is a lie. Of the two thieves on the crosses, one was his sheep and saved. The other is a reprobate goat. How do you account for the goats Jesus omitted from the sheep other than by lying?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus died only for the sheep.

As you keep proving, Scripture never states that. Nowhere in Scripture is your horrible invention stated (it states the exact opposite.)

Here are just a few of the verses that state Jesus died "For all" "for everyone" "for the whole world."

Here are the verses that state Jesus did not die for all but ONLY for __________:

Cricklets....

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Albion said:
That may be the way you'd rather it be, but that passage doesn't say what you are claiming.

Prove it does not. That's all I'm asking from you.
Very Well. Here is the proof that it does not say what you claimed--

(John10 regarding the Pharisees) “Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” 6 Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them."

Last edited:

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
As you keep proving, Scripture never states that. Nowhere in Scripture is your horrible invention stated (it states the exact opposite.)

Here are just a few of the verses that state Jesus died "For all" "for everyone" "for the whole world."

Here are the verses that state Jesus did not die for all but ONLY for __________:

Cricklets....

Where does he say he died for the goats? He only mentions them as lost in the judgment.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Where does he say he died for the goats? He only mentions them as lost in the judgment.

He died for all...those verses Josiah has written over and over again, those are the verses that say He died for the goats.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
He died for all...those verses Josiah has written over and over again, those are the verses that say He died for the goats.
Not the goats among therm.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It does not state that they are "lost" because Jesus did not die for them but only for _____________.

Your horrible, disgusting invention is stated NOWHERE in Scripture as you persistently prove.

I sense you could care less what God has to say about this, but here it is anyway:

Cricklets....

Top Bottom