Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
https://www.today.com/news/tennis-commentator-doug-adler-speaks-out-venus-williams-remark-i-t115506

Former tennis star and (until recently) ESPN tennis reporter Doug Adler was fired for referring to Williams' tennis performance that day as "guerrilla." Some charged Adler with saying "gorilla" and for referring to Williams race (she is African-American), ENTIRELY unknown to me, evidently at one time some white racists referred to African Americans as "gorillas" (news to me; I've nearly heard of that).

Of course, the two VERY different words SOUND similar (although not identical). The word "guerrilla" is used often by the press and English speech (as in "guerrilla warfare" or "a guerrilla tactic") - it means to be aggressive, even wrecklessly so). The word is used in sports, too. In 1995, Nike ran ads on TV in which they spoke of "guerrilla tennis." Nike was using the word in referrence to a style of tennis playing, as was Adler. But in Adlers' case, it was being applied to a style executed by a certain player, who happens to be African-American. (For the record, Williams is being totally silent about this).

Adler, who has no record of EVER saying or doing ANYTHING racist, insists that the word he said and the word he meant about the playing style is "guerrilla" and that he did not say and did not mean the word "gorilla." But the Press insists that he's obviously lying. ESPN (owned by Disney) fired him. Adler says this has ruined his career and that he will never again be able to be a reporter.

Has something in the USA gone amock? Is this "PC'ism" gone absurd? Is this actually reverse racism? Is it "guilty until proven innocent?"

?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
In my opinion he could have used either term (with either meaning) and so long as he was commenting on the playing itself (which I assume he was) it could only be construed as racist by someone who wanted it to be, or who is so hyper-sensitive they scrutinize everything through a lens labeled "possible insult".

Maybe Adler will some day realize he's been dealt a blessing in disguise. The US "press" is a joke - to the entire world.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In my opinion he could have used either term (with either meaning) and so long as he was commenting on the playing itself (which I assume he was) it could only be construed as racist by someone who wanted it to be, or who is so hyper-sensitive they scrutinize everything through a lens labeled "possible insult".

I'm sure all agree he SHOULD have used a word that could not be twisted into something else by a culture (and PRESS) with an agenda to do that..... What a nation when all have to be SO cautious of the "Thought Police"

It also seems to ME that IF any felt the US press needed some confirmation (as if it was accountable for accusing people of racism, etc.), it should be possible to do some audio work and isolate the word; after all, "gorilla" and "guerrilla" while pronounced similarly, it's not identical. But of course, the press needs no support and has no accountabiity in these matters. And the reality that this reporter has NO history of ANYTHING racist has no relevance to anything..... and that the term "guerrilla" IS used in sports (and in reference to tennis) also makes not difference to the press. And the reality that Adler himself stresses he said "guerrila" is irrelevant because what would he know?

The US "press" is a joke - to the entire world.

Sadly, I suspect you are right.

- Josiah

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Another example of the press and the public overreacting and interpreting things wrong. I am so tired of PC. I do not condone racism but I also do not condone tarring and feathering someone for an innocent remark

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO, "racism" seems to work both ways..... Perhaps the press is being racist in accusing this man?

A man at my church once commented, "Freedom of the Press has become freedom to attack any who disagree with the Left" While I don't KNOW what this reporter actually said (and note how the issue doesn't matter, no one is suggesting we anaylize the recording), this case could show it's worse than that: Even an innocent person (not a "Right Wing - and thus Neo Nazi, Ignorant, Hate-Filled, Idiot") can be attacked (and his career terminated). And here again, it seems Americans are just sitting back and swallowing it hook, line and sinker. Where is the evidence he said "gorilla" (and even if he did, he knew that was once a racist term)? Why does it matter NOT AT ALL if such evidence exists? Should a man (who has ZERO history of anything racist) have his career terminated because the Press reports he said "gorilla" and that's all that matters, not if he actually did?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Be honest about it the most racist people I have met have usually been black

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Be honest about it the most racist people I have met have usually been black

... not my experience.

And honestly, I don't KNOW if Doug Adler is a racist (although evidently he was said or done NOTHING to remotely so indicate in the past) and I don't KNOW if he said "guerrilla" (as he claims, and I have no reason to suspect he's lying) or "gorilla" as the Press reports (with NOTHING to support it because it seems truth is irrelevant in the US Press). But this much seems clear: This man's reputation was ruined and his career terminated because the US Press reported him as a racist, and the press offered NOTHING to support the charge (in fact, none have even suggested we actually listen to the word he used). Such is the state of the US Press and racism in America, it seems. And no one is batting an eye; it seems to be swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Has "Freedom of the Press" in the USA become "freedom of the press from accountability and responsibility?" Does racism have various forms and are there victims of many types? Has the Press in America become simply an arm of the political Left? Do Americans care?

I don't know. But this sort of thing seems to occurring a lot lately (or maybe I'm just now realizing it).

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
https://www.today.com/news/tennis-commentator-doug-adler-speaks-out-venus-williams-remark-i-t115506

Former tennis star and (until recently) ESPN tennis reporter Doug Adler was fired for referring to Williams' tennis performance that day as "guerrilla." Some charged Adler with saying "gorilla" and for referring to Williams race (she is African-American), ENTIRELY unknown to me, evidently at one time some white racists referred to African Americans as "gorillas" (news to me; I've nearly heard of that).

Of course, the two VERY different words SOUND similar (although not identical). The word "guerrilla" is used often by the press and English speech (as in "guerrilla warfare" or "a guerrilla tactic") - it means to be aggressive, even wrecklessly so). The word is used in sports, too. In 1995, Nike ran ads on TV in which they spoke of "guerrilla tennis." Nike was using the word in referrence to a style of tennis playing, as was Adler. But in Adlers' case, it was being applied to a style executed by a certain player, who happens to be African-American. (For the record, Williams is being totally silent about this).

Adler, who has no record of EVER saying or doing ANYTHING racist, insists that the word he said and the word he meant about the playing style is "guerrilla" and that he did not say and did not mean the word "gorilla." But the Press insists that he's obviously lying. ESPN (owned by Disney) fired him. Adler says this has ruined his career and that he will never again be able to be a reporter.

Has something in the USA gone amock? Is this "PC'ism" gone absurd? Is this actually reverse racism? Is it "guilty until proven innocent?"

?

That's crazy. I had a dream a night ago that you couldn't say anything anymore, on internet, anywhere if it went against the govt opinion, it was persecution for christians. I think Jesus comes back quick.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here's the story from the UK's "Daily Mail" http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4225222/Doug-Adler-sues-ESPN-Australian-Open-sacking.html

Here's the exact quote in question: "She misses a first serve and Venus is all over her. You see Venus move in and put the guerrilla effect on, charging."

The US Press, ESPN and Disney (and it seems Americans) insist the word was actually "gorilla" which evidently was once a racist slur for African-Americans (Venus Williams is Black). Adler insists he said "guerrilla" which is a common word for an aggressive (even wild) tactic as in "guerrilla tactic" and "guerrilla warfare." Adler insists the word is used to refer to very aggressive moves in sports (and references an ad by Niki about tennis to substantiate that). My point is: The sentence hardly makes sense if he was making a racial slur toward Williams because of her race, the context seems to be tactics.

But in the American press, I can't find that quote anywhere. Or any interest in what he ACTUALLY said (or meant). Just that Adler is a racist. And thus should have been fired and his career terminated.

Is there something rotten in all this? What does this say about the USA? Our press? Racism?

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Josiah, it should not surprise us that things are getting wiorse and worse. Bible tells us they will. Prophecy lays out the conditions and things that will happen and most times things start to line up and take awhile to develop (middle east comes to mind), not to mention persecution of christians in this country, we dont really have a lot of it yet but things are lining up for it, (Cant stand up for what we believe concerning gays, many branchs are now classified as a terrorist or hate speech type thing, political views are not allowed to be expressed from the pulpit, etc, the conditions are ripe

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
things seem like they are getting more and more absurd. I hope he wins his lawsuit.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

?

It appears most things are racist to those who need to identify prejudice behind every comment in order to justify their existence. If Williams is silent my suspicion is that she didn't see the term as being offensive.

Even if the presenter meant to say "gorilla" it's not necessarily a racist term, given a gorilla is a very strong animal and the Williams sisters dominated tennis for so long thanks to being very strong players.

If the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. In the same way if you have nothing to say other than crying about this -ism or that -phobia then everything looks like a prejudice.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
PC has definitely gone south. I was reading the other day about a decision by ESPN to 're-assign' a commentator for the University of Virginia football game because of his name - Robert Lee (an Asian). The irony of their response to social media criticism was lost on them.

article said:
We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties. It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/e...-reminder-espns-larger-problem-154049964.html

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
PC has definitely gone south. I was reading the other day about a decision by ESPN to 're-assign' a commentator for the University of Virginia football game because of his name - Robert Lee (an Asian). The irony of their response to social media criticism was lost on them.

.... amazing, just amazing.....

Top Bottom