Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
that raises a whole can of worms though does it not ?
a person doing the will of god is a person with whom the lord is ALWAYS .
so when i say a chrsitian does not ever need a gun im not referring to a church attendee who thinks they are being transformed into the imageof chrsit and learnung to become like him .they are barley a beleiver in alot of cases .. if they get sick they wil run to the dr FIRST ... and the club they attend on a sunday will advice them to do the same . so i can fuly seer .if they cannot trust god to do what he has COMMANDED us to do (not suggested0 then it is no wonder they cannot trust him to protect them .

everyone things the lord is with all Christians always .. but question that in line with the scriptures .. the promise "-and i will be with you until the end of the age is specifically given to those who are told to go and heal the sick ,preach the gospel,drive out demons raise the dead ,baptise in his name and make more deciples (not make church attendees) -it is THESE to whoim he says ..i will be with you -thus it is these who do not need a gun they have the most High GOD .. .
ok lets look at that, if God is only with those who heal then there are not hardly any that He is with. I dont disagree with what you are saying but I do believe that God expects us to help ourselves and those around us

Tallguy88

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
such reasoning sounds like an angry man who lives in expectation of evil .. be carful -what you have faith for .lest the fear that you fear comes upon you .

I'm not angry or expecting evil. Did you see where I said I DON'T carry a firearm, even though I'm legally able to do so? I don't even own a handgun at the moment.

I'm just saying that I'm not fatalistic and if push comes to shove, I will do what is necessary to protect my family. Self defense is a right, and is not against biblical principles.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I'm not angry or expecting evil. Did you see where I said I DON'T carry a firearm, even though I'm legally able to do so? I don't even own a handgun at the moment.

I'm just saying that I'm not fatalistic and if push comes to shove, I will do what is necessary to protect my family. Self defense is a right, and is not against biblical principles.

Didn't saint Peter try a bit of self-defence when the temple guards came to arrest Jesus in the garden? How did that work out?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Didn't saint Peter try a bit of self-defence when the temple guards came to arrest Jesus in the garden? How did that work out?

Peter misunderstood what was happening at the time. The Jews really thought that Jesus was going to have an earthly kingdom.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes they did. All throught the Old testament you see God directing battles

Tallguy88

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Peter was going against Prophecy and Jesus' own words when he said that he must be sacrificed. That's why he was adminished, not because self defense is bad.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Peter was going against Prophecy and Jesus' own words when he said that he must be sacrificed. That's why he was adminished, not because self defense is bad.

Are you sure or is that a convenient way to justify what you want to do while ignoring what the Lord teaches about violence? Many people who would not fist fight become killers when they have a gun.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Peter misunderstood what was happening at the time. The Jews really thought that Jesus was going to have an earthly kingdom.

Did Peter's ignorance of God's purposes have any bearing on what Jesus said and taught about violence and violent people?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Guns are not wrong self defense is not wrong and anything that goes against owning guns is bad

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I'm just saying that I'm not fatalistic and if push comes to shove, I will do what is necessary to protect my family. Self-defense is a right, and is not against biblical principles.
..hmmm what part of turning the other cheeck encompasses SELF defense ? interesting is it not ?

what you'r saying quite clearly is when push comes to shove . you don't have a trust in God but you have every faith in your ability to kill an attacker ... -yup. that's the message that im hearing from one or another person every time the topic comes up.it is like it is swome crime to preach trust in god alone .

to be honest ,some times i think i believe in different God to the one other Christians seem to speak of, .. my god can do ALL things and with him NOTHING is impossible .how about yours ?

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Guns are not wrong self defense is not wrong and anything that goes against owning guns is bad

huh ...lol ? anything that goes against is bad ? how so ... or did you have the ole tongue firmly in the cheek ?

YESLORDIWILL

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Married
84ccc1ff019c7e194251b6d78e9a525a.jpg

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

What do you believe that passage teaches?
"When I sent you without money or provisions or shoes, did you lack anything?" And they said, "Nothing." Then he said to them: "But now, let whoever has money take it, and likewise with provisions. And whoever does not have these, let him sell his coat and buy a sword. For I say to you, that what has been written must still be fulfilled in me: "And he was esteemed with the wicked." Yet even these things about me have an end." (Luke 22:35-37)​

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
oh good grief ..like that has ANYTHING to do with the topic of guns .. or any harmony with everything else the lord Jesus taught .
and AS it has NO harmony with everything else he taught it is so obviously being mutated out of context .

if that verse was meant as an instruction to take up arms then the apostles and all deciples of the early church utterly failed in it .
for read the book of acts ,and display from it,one single instance that would even suggest they took the lord words to mean any such thing .

and you will find no such instance ,not even a remote implication that it meant any such thing .

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What I do know is that it is not wrong to own a gun nor is it wrong to use it in self defense

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What I do know is that it is not wrong to own a gun nor is it wrong to use it in self defense

Rather say that you believe it is okay to wound or kill in self defence because that is what you appear to mean.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It is what I mean and I dont think God has a problem with that either

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It is what I mean and I dont think God has a problem with that either

Okay. But I am curious what basis you have for claiming that God is as okay with it as you appear to be.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
All through the Old testament we see wars which God helped fight. Places that God told them to kill everything, things being dealt with within that involved capitol punishment

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
All through the Old testament we see wars which God helped fight. Places that God told them to kill everything, things being dealt with within that involved capitol punishment

Do you think that the old testament wars are an example for Christians to follow?

Top Bottom