Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Resting up from a crazy week of work. Feels like I am getting a cold. Thankful that Tropical Storm Barry stayed a tropical storm and veered off in a direction as to not hit us this weekend. Praying he doesn't drop too much water where he made landfall in Louisiana.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Resting up from a crazy week of work. Feels like I am getting a cold. Thankful that Tropical Storm Barry stayed a tropical storm and veered off in a direction as to not hit us this weekend. Praying he doesn't drop too much water where he made landfall in Louisiana.

Get well soon!

I haven't been keeping an eye on this new hurricane. I hope it's not as bad as some of the others.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Noticed a huge rash on my back, looks like hives, real splotchy and red but not itchy...
Hmmmm

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Noticed a huge rash on my back, looks like hives, real splotchy and red but not itchy...
Hmmmm

Heat rash from being outside? That's what happened to me the day before yesterday. I went outside for 15 minutes in the sun and got a huge rash but it was only chest not my back.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Heat rash from being outside? That's what happened to me the day before yesterday. I went outside for 15 minutes in the sun and got a huge rash but it was only chest not my back.
Could be!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm going in a little while to have lunch with my daughter.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm going in a little while to have lunch with my daughter.

What did you have to eat? I took my daughter to WaWa for her to grab a sandwich.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Waiting for time to go home. It's such a beautiful day so I've kept occupied at work trying to ignore what a beautiful day it is! Really, though, the office where I decided to hole up for the day has lots of natural light coming in. I took a lunch break for salad and Starbucks coffee and had a sit outside to tide myself over. Didn't want to come back to work

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I had thought I might take another walk in the woods this afternoon but felt like I had no energy at all, so went for our gentle walk around town with my wife. She's seeing a friend tomorrow so maybe I'll get to take a nice long walk then. There are a few routes I have in mind, including one that looks like it would be a really nice outbound walk but would mean walking nearly 8 miles on gravel roads to get back to the start. Maybe I'll do it anyway, at least the gravel road is downhill for most of the way.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What did you have to eat? I took my daughter to WaWa for her to grab a sandwich.

chicken fajita's at Mi Pueblo (a Mexican restaurant). My wife and son also went with me. First time in a while we have done that.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
chicken fajita's at Mi Pueblo (a Mexican restaurant). My wife and son also went with me. First time in a while we have done that.

I love Mexican food. Okay, I admit I gorge on the tortilla chips and salsa and then don't want my meal :D But there's always room for fried ice cream.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thinking about my walk for tomorrow and where I want to go. I really hope the light isn't too hard, I don't plan on hauling my heavy camera gear but if the light looks OK I might just take my small camera. I just wish I could find the polarising filter I could use with it.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Also found out about a way to make picture frames that seems much easier than I was expecting, and saves me needing to buy or make specific jigs and buy fancy gear. I think all I'm going to need is a wooden insert so I can make a zero clearance insert for my table saw and then I'm good to go.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Also found out about a way to make picture frames that seems much easier than I was expecting, and saves me needing to buy or make specific jigs and buy fancy gear. I think all I'm going to need is a wooden insert so I can make a zero clearance insert for my table saw and then I'm good to go.

HEY! Could you do a How To in the Art & Media forum for the picture frames? That would be great!

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Waiting to go home and eat, then to bed

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
HEY! Could you do a How To in the Art & Media forum for the picture frames? That would be great!

I can probably do something like that but it might be easier if people interested look at the same YouTube videos I've been watching :)

If you've got a load of tools it seems pretty easy. Without a table saw with a couple of jigs and a router it's probably not something to attempt (you could do it with a miter saw but then you couldn't do the splines that I've been exploring, so the frame would be weaker). Let me see how my first actual frame turns out and take it from there.

Next up, I want to approach a couple of local cabinet shops to see if they've got some cabinet grade plywood offcuts I can have free or cheap. I want to see if making frames out of plywood is a sensible proposition. For that I probably will want to use V-nails, not sure it's worth the effort to cut splines in plywood even if the wood will survive the process. That said I can probably use splines made of cheaper materials like pine to reinforce a plywood frame.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Nice long walk in the woods today. I wasn't sure whether I'd go because I didn't feel very energetic this morning but as soon as I got going I didn't want to finish. By the time I was done my Fitbit recorded something like 24,000 steps and 235 flights of stairs. It was tough today but I enjoyed it. During the course of the walk (around 4.5 hours) I took on 96 ounces of water and also did a bit of pruning and cutting where trails were getting overgrown. At one point I came across a branch about an inch thick that had fallen right across the trail at about chest height. These days I carry pruners and a folding saw when hiking so I was able to make short work of it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can probably do something like that but it might be easier if people interested look at the same YouTube videos I've been watching :)

If you've got a load of tools it seems pretty easy. Without a table saw with a couple of jigs and a router it's probably not something to attempt (you could do it with a miter saw but then you couldn't do the splines that I've been exploring, so the frame would be weaker). Let me see how my first actual frame turns out and take it from there.

Next up, I want to approach a couple of local cabinet shops to see if they've got some cabinet grade plywood offcuts I can have free or cheap. I want to see if making frames out of plywood is a sensible proposition. For that I probably will want to use V-nails, not sure it's worth the effort to cut splines in plywood even if the wood will survive the process. That said I can probably use splines made of cheaper materials like pine to reinforce a plywood frame.

My daughter is supposed to make 3 shadow boxes for my nephew's army collection of things he's traded with other military men when he was in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are looking for an easy way to go about this. She has all the right tools we just need direction.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Doing my notes from yesterday. Even though I haven't felt well lately I have been very productive lately.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My daughter is supposed to make 3 shadow boxes for my nephew's army collection of things he's traded with other military men when he was in Iraq and Afghanistan. We are looking for an easy way to go about this. She has all the right tools we just need direction.

Shadow boxes would be a little tricker, simply because of the depth of the boxes.

They aren't inherently difficult, just a matter of getting the corners to align and the extra depth makes it more important that they align just so or you have more work to do fixing the misaligned edges.

At its most simple you can use something like a pocket hole jig to drill pocket holes to secure everything together. They create a very strong joint but if the pieces of wood are large it can be a little fiddly to align them along their full length. What I've often done is use a smaller piece of wood held in place, then clamped a piece of 2x4 to hold it where I need it, then held the actual piece of wood against the clamped 2x4 so I can get a couple of pocket screws into place.

If you've got access to a table saw then what you could try doing (this is the spline trick I've been looking at) is to cut the miters on your box, then clamp them against a fence such that the mitered edges rest on the table of the saw (you'll probably want a 45-degree wedge glued to the fence to support the pieces), you can make a few passes through the corners at intervals. That will give you a small number of cuts that are the width of the saw blade. Then cut strips of wood the width of the blade. Cut them to match the width of the aligning slots, glue them into place as you align the miters (the splines will help align the miters, which is good), then cut the surplus off and sand it smooth.

Two Youtube channels I've found really helpful are WWMM (wood working for mere mortals) and Wood Work Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom