Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Funny, people I have led to Christ I always include this and they invariably do this as part of what is called the sinners prayer. You are the one forcing what you believe rather than what my experience has taught me.

Did you tell them who Christ was prior to any prayer? It wasn't the prayer that saved them. It's always the Savior and God uses the good news to bring us to faith and that's by hearing. Not by a prayer.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Saint Paul told the gaoler that he would be saved by believing on/in the Lord, Jesus Christ. Acts 16:31 They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."

The apostles taught that grace saves: Acts 15:11 "But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are."

And the gospel message is: Mark 1:14-15 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent, and believe in the gospel."

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Did you tell them who Christ was prior to any prayer? It wasn't the prayer that saved them. It's always the Savior and God uses the good news to bring us to faith and that's by hearing. Not by a prayer.
Of course and what does Romans 10:9;10 tell us? Does it not say do this and you will be saved?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Funny, people I have led to Christ I always include this and they invariably do this as part of what is called the sinners prayer. You are the one forcing what you believe rather than what my experience has taught me.

I think we should be focused not on one's individual interpretation of what one has experienced but on what God says. I'm sure we agree.

Friend, I think you are taking Romans 10:8-9 entirely out of context - and turning into the exact opposite of Paul's entire point on justification in Romans. Paul clearly and repeatedly states that we are saved by grace in Christ through faith and that this is NOT a result of human will or deeds but is entirely the free gift of God. Do you agree with that? If you do, then it is impossible for Paul to contradict that and say that actually we are saved by the utterance of some prayer. What about those who are mute and cannot speak, are they therefore damned by virtue of that? What about the one who says something they don't actually believe?

I think what Paul is saying in this verse is that faith GENERALLY is accompanied by a confession..... one who believed does not deny Christ (alone) as THE (one and only, all-sufficient) SAVIOR.... and one who does believe "confesses" that in his heart and generally in his words and deeds.

I realize we do have a conditional cause here.... and if ripped out of all context could suggest that Jesus is not the Savior but rather our chanting certain words is.... but that's simply not in keeping with all that Paul says. We are not saved by chanting certain English words in a certain order (thus self being the Savior, the words of self being the point). I'm sure we agree, Bill. Nor do I agree that one is not saved UNLESS and UNTIL they chant those magical words in that order (that would mean the thief on the Cross was not saved, we wouldn't even be able to say is most of the Apostles were saved).

And I think we need to be careful to NOT base our certainty and our faith itself in some EXPERIENCE or FEELING we had at some point (I'd refer you to James Dopson's book, "Feelings, Can We Trust Them") or whether or not we said several English words in some exact order. The point is not our feelings or experiences or deeds - but the Cross and Resurrection. Now, I agree - a person who claims to have faith but doesn't believe Jesus rose from the dead and doesn't confess Jesus as the Savior... well.... we'd have reason to question if they actually are a Christian.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of course and what does Romans 10:9;10 tell us? Does it not say do this and you will be saved?

According to your belief a mute man could never be saved because he cannot open his mouth...etc.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
According to your belief a mute man could never be saved because he cannot open his mouth...etc.

Do you think that those verses mean that one must be able to speak to be saved? Really?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think we should be focused not on one's individual interpretation of what one has experienced but on what God says. I'm sure we agree.

Friend, I think you are taking Romans 10:8-9 entirely out of context - and turning into the exact opposite of Paul's entire point on justification in Romans. Paul clearly and repeatedly states that we are saved by grace in Christ through faith and that this is NOT a result of human will or deeds but is entirely the free gift of God. Do you agree with that? If you do, then it is impossible for Paul to contradict that and say that actually we are saved by the utterance of some prayer. What about those who are mute and cannot speak, are they therefore damned by virtue of that? What about the one who says something they don't actually believe?

I think what Paul is saying in this verse is that faith GENERALLY is accompanied by a confession..... one who believed does not deny Christ (alone) as THE (one and only, all-sufficient) SAVIOR.... and one who does believe "confesses" that in his heart and generally in his words and deeds.

I realize we do have a conditional cause here.... and if ripped out of all context could suggest that Jesus is not the Savior but rather our chanting certain words is.... but that's simply not in keeping with all that Paul says. We are not saved by chanting certain English words in a certain order (thus self being the Savior, the words of self being the point). I'm sure we agree, Bill. Nor do I agree that one is not saved UNLESS and UNTIL they chant those magical words in that order (that would mean the thief on the Cross was not saved, we wouldn't even be able to say is most of the Apostles were saved).

And I think we need to be careful to NOT base our certainty and our faith itself in some EXPERIENCE or FEELING we had at some point (I'd refer you to James Dopson's book, "Feelings, Can We Trust Them") or whether or not we said several English words in some exact order. The point is not our feelings or experiences or deeds - but the Cross and Resurrection. Now, I agree - a person who claims to have faith but doesn't believe Jesus rose from the dead and doesn't confess Jesus as the Savior... well.... we'd have reason to question if they actually are a Christian.

Of course it is by grace I dont deny that/ IO also dont deny what the Word clearly says either. Yes, my experiences lead me to what I believe since they back up what the word says, I will not deny proof of the word working.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you think that those verses mean that one must be able to speak to be saved? Really?

You're asking the wrong person. I do not believe that as you could see from my post in #397. It was Psalms 91 who insists that the confession of faith saves the man.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
It was Psalms 91 who insists that the confession of faith saves the man.

What does Scripture say?

Rom 10:9
If you declare with your mouth,
“Jesus is Lord,”
And believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead,
You will be saved.

Your inward and outward need to be of one accord
Not only your hidden heart...
But also your spoken words...
That Jesus is your Lord...
And God raised Him from the dead...
In order that God will save you...

This puerile argument
eg that by saying this
one is saying one saves one's self
is nonsense-crackers...

It is simply saying that
IF
You are faithful inside and out...
THEN
God will save you.

Your salvation hinges on what you do...
Because God is ever-faithful...
But you and I...
Not so much...

Arsenios

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You're asking the wrong person. I do not believe that as you could see from my post in #397. It was Psalms 91 who insists that the confession of faith saves the man.
Confession of faith, not of man it comes because we are convicted by the Holy Spirit and want to do what the Word says. One who claims to be saved and has never confessed and asked forgiveness I question their salvation.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What does Scripture say?

Rom 10:9
If you declare with your mouth,
“Jesus is Lord,”
And believe in your heart
that God raised him from the dead,
You will be saved.

Your inward and outward need to be of one accord
Not only your hidden heart...
But also your spoken words...
That Jesus is your Lord...
And God raised Him from the dead...
In order that God will save you...

This puerile argument
eg that by saying this
one is saying one saves one's self
is nonsense-crackers...

It is simply saying that
IF
You are faithful inside and out...
THEN
God will save you.

Your salvation hinges on what you do...
Because God is ever-faithful...
But you and I...
Not so much...

Arsenios

Despite the verbal swagger, what you say here doesn't follow at all. However, I also don't think it is worth carrying the argument over into Salvation - Part 4 and Salvation - Part 5.

:1zhelp:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One who claims to be saved and has never confessed and asked forgiveness I question their salvation.

THAT I'd not debate (although obviously one may not be ABLE to do so or not have opportunity to do so). And I do think in context that's Paul's point in the verse you noted.

The "debate" has been on salvation being achieved by a person chanting certain words in a certain order - a matter of the fallen, dead, atheist earning salvation by performing that good work. Bill, as my theology teacher kept saying, "Beware of 'Hoop Jumpting' Christians!" What he meant was people who confuse Law and Gospel by making what the dead, unregenerate, fallen person wills and does the essential cause of salvation. Such not only destroys the Gospel and Christianity (making self the Savior of self) but also creates a "terror of the conscience" as Luther put it since one can never know if they "feel" enough or if they "did" enough or was "sincere" enough. Faith is effective for only one reason: the Object, the Savior Jesus Christ. When the object is changed to the one each sees in the mirror, that faith becomes meaningless and we constantly must fear if we did enough, felt enough. See my point?

Technically, I have nothing against "altar calls" or "the Sinner's Prayer." I agree with the Baptist minister at the church through which I did homeschooling, the said that when one is compelled to come on down, as their heart is beating, as their palms are sweating - that's FAITH (Saving faith) crying out to proclaim its Object and to testify of itself. HIS point was the altar call or saying the Sinner's Prayer don't create faith or salvation, they testify of it. THAT I can agree with. That self performing a good work (walking down to the front of the church or saying the words of a written prayer) is why one is Saved makes self the Savior. The Bible says - repeatedly and as boldly as possible - that JESUS is the Savior (which means self can'tth be - job's taken) and that it is all "the free gift of God" and that it is NOT a result of fallen man's will or works. NOT. Whether speaking to the Catholic who holds that the dead, fallen mans works of love is why he is saved..... or another who holds that dead, fallen man's works of willing or deciding.... both look to the mirror rather than to the Cross..... both undermine that Jesus is the Savior (not self).... both create uncertainty and terror since the object of the faith is self and self can never know if self did enough, sincerely enough, genuinely enough. God saves. In God we can trust, lol. Now, the one given faith and life and the Holy Spirit is to act accordingly - including willing and repenting and proclaiming and loving and more! ABSOLUTELY! But that's what faith produces, not what produces faith. See my point? Are in fundamentally disagreeing?

- Josiah

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
THAT I'd not debate (although obviously one may not be ABLE to do so or not have opportunity to do so). And I do think in context that's Paul's point in the verse you noted.

The "debate" has been on salvation being achieved by a person chanting certain words in a certain order - a matter of the fallen, dead, atheist earning salvation by performing that good work. Bill, as my theology teacher kept saying, "Beware of 'Hoop Jumpting' Christians!" What he meant was people who confuse Law and Gospel by making what the dead, unregenerate, fallen person wills and does the essential cause of salvation. Such not only destroys the Gospel and Christianity (making self the Savior of self) but also creates a "terror of the conscience" as Luther put it since one can never know if they "feel" enough or if they "did" enough or was "sincere" enough. Faith is effective for only one reason: the Object, the Savior Jesus Christ. When the object is changed to the one each sees in the mirror, that faith becomes meaningless and we constantly must fear if we did enough, felt enough. See my point?

Technically, I have nothing against "altar calls" or "the Sinner's Prayer." I agree with the Baptist minister at the church through which I did homeschooling, the said that when one is compelled to come on down, as their heart is beating, as their palms are sweating - that's FAITH (Saving faith) crying out to proclaim its Object and to testify of itself. HIS point was the altar call or saying the Sinner's Prayer don't create faith or salvation, they testify of it. THAT I can agree with. That self performing a good work (walking down to the front of the church or saying the words of a written prayer) is why one is Saved makes self the Savior. The Bible says - repeatedly and as boldly as possible - that JESUS is the Savior (which means self can'tth be - job's taken) and that it is all "the free gift of God" and that it is NOT a result of fallen man's will or works. NOT. Whether speaking to the Catholic who holds that the dead, fallen mans works of love is why he is saved..... or another who holds that dead, fallen man's works of willing or deciding.... both look to the mirror rather than to the Cross..... both undermine that Jesus is the Savior (not self).... both create uncertainty and terror since the object of the faith is self and self can never know if self did enough, sincerely enough, genuinely enough. God saves. In God we can trust, lol. Now, the one given faith and life and the Holy Spirit is to act accordingly - including willing and repenting and proclaiming and loving and more! ABSOLUTELY! But that's what faith produces, not what produces faith. See my point? Are in fundamentally disagreeing?

- Josiah
No disagreement when presented in that way.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Confession of faith, not of man it comes because we are convicted by the Holy Spirit and want to do what the Word says. One who claims to be saved and has never confessed and asked forgiveness I question their salvation.

How is that different from what I was trying to tell you? Confession of faith comes after what the Holy Spirit has done within us by giving us faith to believe in the Savior.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
One who claims to be saved
and has never confessed and asked forgiveness
I question their salvation.

I try to remember to question my own Salvation always...

Flaunting one's (presumption of) Salvation is not a good thing to do...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The "debate" has been on salvation being achieved
by a person chanting certain words in a certain order*

"The Man From La Mancha."

That* has never been the "debate"...

If you think it is, you are tilting at windmills...

This discussion is going Quixotic...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What you say here doesn't follow at all.

It is a take consistent with the words written...
Instead of insisting that the words could not possibly mean what they say...
As had just been argued by Josiah...

Not a logical deduction, hence you are right.

Arsenios

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is a take consistent with the words written...
Instead of insisting that the words could not possibly mean what they say...
As had just been argued by Josiah...

Not a logical deduction, hence you are right.

Arsenios
FWIW, I disagree.

I haven't followed this discussion as closely as some others probably have, but it looks to me that you are reading something into the words.

There's no "If you are FAITHFUL INSIDE AND OUT, THEN" as you said there is ("our salvation hinges on what you do.")

There's not at all a promise there which is conditioned upon future behavior.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
FWIW, I disagree.

I haven't followed this discussion as closely as some others probably have, but it looks to me that you are reading something into the words.

There's no "If you are FAITHFUL INSIDE AND OUT, THEN" as you said there is ("our salvation hinges on what you do.")

There's not at all a promise there which is conditioned upon future behavior.

Aaahh!

THAT is what you meant...

I took that from "Believe in your heart" (INSIDE) and "Confess with your mouth" (OUTSIDE)...

IOW it takes both inward belief and outward confession of the Faith of Christ in order that one be saved...

I should think that this read is pretty much exegetical...

I would be happy to be shown I am in error...

I simply do not see a way to avoid it...

And it is an IF...THEN conditional construction...

Arsenios

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's the faithful part that I meant to emphasize. You know, works righteousness.

You want, when saying "And it is an IF...THEN conditional construction" to say that the person has to earn his salvation over a period of time by a life of works pleasing to God. That, however, is not inherent in the words you quoted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom