Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
The family of late author Roald Dahl, who wrote such children's classics as "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and "Matilda," issued an apology for his "incomprehensible" anti-Semitic comments.

"The Dahl family and the Roald Dahl Story Company deeply apologise for the lasting and understandable hurt caused by some of Roald Dahl's statements," the letter posted on his official site said.

It goes on: "Those prejudiced remarks are incomprehensible to us and stand in marked contrast to the man we knew and to the values at the heart of Roald Dahl's stories, which have positively impacted young people for generations. We hope that, just as he did at his best, at his absolute worst, Roald Dahl can help remind us of the lasting impact of words."

What a beautiful and powerful apology! My girls loved his stories and so did I.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What antisemitic comments did he make, and were they in recent times or did someone dig up something he said back in 1958 or something?

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
and were they in recent times
The man died 30 years ago, so I guess the comments were not made in recent times.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The man died 30 years ago, so I guess the comments were not made in recent times.

Ah, so it's just another example of something said decades ago that upsets people today..... figures.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Apparently, in about 1982/1983, he did make comments at the time of the 1982 Lebanon War. Found this information on Wikipedia. It seems as tango said, "just another example so something said decades ago that upsets people today." People really need to study and learn history so they understand what was going on around the time people wrote or said things that sound horrible today.

Top Bottom