Reading scripture - there is more than one way.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Holy Scripture can be read for several different purposes and in several different ways.
One can read for prayer - to listen for God's voice and to speak to God in return. This way of reading holy scripture may be the most life-changing of the different ways of reading that I intend to mention in this post.
One can read for instruction in life - one reads for instruction when seeking an answer to some ethical or moral issue. This way of reading is best accomplished with a concordance and perhaps an ethical theology at hand to help to find the scriptures that address the issue and that can help with interpreting the scriptures.
One can read for doctrine - When seeking to know what the holy scriptures teach about specific matters one is reading for doctrine. A commentary, concordance and cross-reference bible are the tools one may use here. A systematic theology or a Catechism will help with this.
One can read for understanding - this is reading exegetically. Searching the scriptures to see what they say and mean so as to gain understanding and, if one is open and willing to learn then to gain wisdom too.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Holy Scripture can be read for several different purposes and in several different ways.
One can read for prayer - to listen for God's voice and to speak to God in return. This way of reading holy scripture may be the most life-changing of the different ways of reading that I intend to mention in this post.
One can read for instruction in life - one reads for instruction when seeking an answer to some ethical or moral issue. This way of reading is best accomplished with a concordance and perhaps an ethical theology at hand to help to find the scriptures that address the issue and that can help with interpreting the scriptures.
One can read for doctrine - When seeking to know what the holy scriptures teach about specific matters one is reading for doctrine. A commentary, concordance and cross-reference bible are the tools one may use here. A systematic theology or a Catechism will help with this.
One can read for understanding - this is reading exegetically. Searching the scriptures to see what they say and mean so as to gain understanding and, if one is open and willing to learn then to gain wisdom too.

I like that....

But what I think is behind all those is
1) HUMILITY
2) COMMUNITY.

We need the humility to read HIS WORDS ON THE PAGE - not assuming the Holy Spirit really goofed and what He meant to say isn't what He did. Read the words THERE, not the invisible words the devil insists are "there" but obviously aren't. God is smarter than we are. God's ways are not our ways. God is not subject to MY philosphies, theories, presumptions. God doesn't have to answer my questions. God doesn't have to "make sense" to me, let God be God. If I have a question - and God doesn't answer it - that's okay. I probably am too puny and limited to understand it anyway. God is my Lord, not the other way around.

I think too often we read His Word INDIVIDUALLY, as if God gave His Word to only me... the Holy Spirit directs only me... I"M the smart one... it's my responsibility to submit God to my brilliant mind and theories. IMO, we need to read His Word to US... together, with all His Saints here and above, seeking not just what I think but what the whole church catholic has believed and trusted - the wisdom and faith of the ages. I admit I've read some Scripture and gone "wow!" and thought up some idea - only to find lots of heretics have too on this! And that Christians have thought, prayed, discussed and come to a different view, MUCH wiser than mine. The Bible is an old book. The most widely sold and read book in the world, and has been for a very long time! Mine are not the first - or wisest - eyes to peer into it. For this reason, while I read Scripture daily, I cherish when this can be done with others - in Bible study for example.

A blessed Easter season to you and yours...

- Josiah

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I finally read this thread...I like what the OP says but I'd like to say that even though WE have intentions of how we're going to read scripture, it's the Holy Spirit who will use the Word of God according to His will. His will trumps our good intentions :D

Top Bottom