Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This is an offshoot to this thread: Keep Religion OUT of Public Schools!

Disclaimer: I'm not a constitutional attorney nor did I attend public schools until college. But my wife is a credentialed California public school teacher and taught in public schools in California for some years (she's now a full time homemaker). And she took classes concerning the issue of religion in public, state run and operated schools. And I can only speak of California - but as everyone knows, this is one of (if not THE) most liberal, secular state in the US.

It should be noted, too, that all this applies only to lower (K-12) schools.

What is allowed and not allowed in Public Schools....

1. Bibles

Students may bring any religious book to school, including any one of the several different Christian Bibles. They are fully allowed to bring them. And to read them if doing so does not interrupt classroom instruction. This generally means in their free time.

It is not permitted to restrict a student from doing so. Or for the school (or its teachers and staff) to tell a student that the book they brought is invalid or bad or worthless. Or for the school to say WHICH books are religious/sacred/true and which are not.

School libraries may contain religious books, including those regarded as sacred by some and all the various Christian Bibles, and these can be checked out by the student. what is not permitted is for the school to label some "good... valid... right" and others "bad... invalid... wrong."

2. Prayer

Students are permitted to pray silently at any time or manner as long as it does not interrupt or interfere with classroom instruction. They can't stand up and pray out loud while the teacher is teaching, for example... they can (and will!) silently pray at their desk as the teacher is handing out the Calculus test. Schools may have a silent period in which students MAY pray or meditate as they choose, a "time of silent reflection." Many public schools have a "prayer around the flag pole" event every morning. Teachers and staff may participate in those - but may not lead the prayer at those, only students may do so. Many sports teams have prayer before a game, and this is welcomed but the coach/teacher may not lead that prayer - he can participate but can't lead it, a student may however. Students may have clubs that are religiously oriented (general Christian or Jewish or whatever, or denominational - a Catholic Youth Club for example) but it cannot deny some religious club because of the religion it embraces. These religious clubs may invite local clergy and involve them in the after-school on-campus school club.

3. Clothing

Students and teachers may wear religious symbols or jewelry such as crosses, star of David, etc. Students (not teachers) may wear clothing such as T-Shirts with religious messages - as long as they do not promote hatred, violence or drugs. A student wearing a shirt that says "Jesus is Lord" or "Jesus is the Savior" are fine.... one saying "God hates Jews" is not.

4. Evangelism

Students may promote their religious views on campus during school hours if it does not happen during class time, does not interrupt instruction. They may do so during lunch or free times. They are allowed to work together in this, say to man a table with religious literature - as long as they do so in a respectful, non-aggressive manner and the literature they offer is not hateful or promoting violence, hate or drugs. In practice, it has to be just a manned table that students are free to visit or not. Handing out Bibles and usual Christian tracks is fine.

The school (including teachers) however is not permitted to promote or renounce any religious beliefs. Teachers may tell their students what religion they are, they may mention that they attended church last Sunday or lead a Bible study, they can share that they teach Sunday school, etc. - but they may not tell their students the religious beliefs given by those or insist that THOSE particular views are true and correct - beyond a general sense that we are to be loving, caring, forgiving, serving, etc. If a student shares THEIR religion in the classroom, teachers may permit that - as long as it is not disruptive to instruction. My wife had a third-grade Hispanic girl who was excited to tell the whole class about her First Communion - and my wife allowed her to say whatever she wanted about that because that's 100% okay, she fully abided by state policy in welcoming the girl to share that.

5. Promotion of a Religious View

It's not permitted by the school or teachers in a school to promote a certain religion or to renounce any certain religion (but again, it is by the students). For example, it cannot promote atheism or agnosticism or Christianity or Hinduism, nor can it renounce any religion. The policy is that ONLY parents have the authority to teach and present religion to their children.

There are some who insist some public schools do this - but they can't find this in a school textbook or anywhere else; they assume that if the Christian Triune God is not taught, ERGO Atheism is - but that's absurd. If a school has in a book, "there is no God" or "Christianity is wrong" or "there is no God" then disallowed and that school is in violation. But to date, no such case has been discovered.

Evolution is often taught - and not always CLEARLY as "a current scientific theory" (which I think it should), and it is taught as science not religion. In teaching evolution - in all it's various forms - public schools do NOT say "there is no God", it doesn't even say God was not involved in some way, it simply says nothing about God. IF a school stated, "evolution shows there is no God" that would be a clear case of violation and disallowed.

6. Morality

Public schools are not allowed to teach the moral views of any particular religion BECAUSE it is a view of a particular religion - that would be promoting a particular religion. What is and is not taught about morality is determined by the State. Such may or may not be in alignment with any particular religion or church or denomination or person.... because no particular religion is to be promoted BECAUSE of the religion. Politically, this tends to be determined through the state's "Office of Public Instruction" - the members of which are usually not elected but often appointed by the Governor and/or State Legislature and/or State Superintendent of Public Instruction - all political offices, and when people vote (and many don't), they may not take their moral views into consideration - but those moral vies tend to get reflected in the public schools (thus the situation we have). Don't like what moral views are being taught in your public school? VOTE! And vote for people with what you think are good morals.

ASK what those candidates think about abortion or sex outside of marriage or whatever morality is important to you... ASK....LEARN ... and VOTE with that morality in mind; that's the only way moral instruction in your public school can change. If you - and others - care and vote accordingly.

Disclosure to Public. Because of parental rights, what the public school teaches and presents... and it's policies concerning such.... are to be clearly disclosed to all the public in writing. This is generally available at the district or school office during normal business hours; no appointment is necessary. Want to know EXACTLY what your child will be taught in Third Grade US History? The law requires that you can know - in writing - beforehand. In most cases, you can take the textbook home and read it on your own - before your child sees it. You can "opt out" of it for your child or simply be prepared to share your view about things mentioned in the book. Now - the SAD, SAD reality is that almost no parent does this. But the point is, they can. They MUST be provided with that opportunity. If you don't know exactly what you child is taught or will be taught... well.... that's totally your own fault, you had the opportunity and chose not to take it. Do not want your child taught that? You can opt-out beforehand, you just chose not to do so.

My wife and I do not send our son to a public school. My beautiful wife taught public school for some years and would NEVER send her child to one. This is mostly because of the very low and poor quality of education that happens at most (not all) of them, and some of the social problems of our world are found in abundance there; there would be a lot to "opt out" of! We fortunately have the means to either home school or to send our son to a private or church school. We've chosen an excellent Church school.

Now, my wife stressed that a lot of these policies are purposely a bit vague to allow for individual situations .... there's gray areas, on purpose..... individual districts and even principals have some leeway here. She gave me this example: A local church is having a big Christmas party for children. Now STUDENTS can pass out fliers inviting kids (that's generally okay) but can the SCHOOL pass them out? Say the teacher to all the kids in her class? Can the school mention this event in the opening announcement given by the school? Ah, that's a gray area and it will vary from school to school (or even district to district). It may vary depending on the situation, community, etc. within the guidelines.

Should religion be taught in public schools discussion: Keep Religion OUT of Public Schools!

Last edited:

Lanman87

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Protestant churches in early America called for the separation of church and state. Many Protestants saw the persecution that resulted when church and state are mixed. There are many examples in the middle ages of the church declaring people heretics and the state executing those people. Many Catholics today will claim the church never executed anyone but it is well documented that the church and state were complicit in many executions.

After the reformation there were many executions and imprisonments as the churches job was to uphold the state (and whatever monarchy was in charge at the time). By the time the American Revolution rolled around many Protestants were calling for the separation of church and state.

The purpose of the separation of church and state was to protect individual freedom in worship and eliminate a state run church so that all religions would be treated equally under the law and be free from government interference.

That is why it is so ironic that today so many Evangelicals are calling for state sponsored religious activity. As far as I'm concerned I want the government as far away from church as possible.

Having said that, the state also shouldn't prohibit the free exercise of religion. Many anti-religious people believe that the separation of church and state is not only the separation of church and government but the separation of church and society.

I don't mind the principle not praying at the local HS. What if he is a Muslim or Wiccan or some religion that is against Christianity? Does he have the right to pray? Is it only Baptist that have the right to pray over our children and lead our children in Prayer? How about Catholics? How about Mormons? How about Jehovahs Witnesses?

It seems to me that if you are going to let the school teach religion then somebody has to decide which one and which view is acceptable to teach.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Protestant churches in early America called for the separation of church and state. Many Protestants saw the persecution that resulted when church and state are mixed. There are many examples in the middle ages of the church declaring people heretics and the state executing those people. Many Catholics today will claim the church never executed anyone but it is well documented that the church and state were complicit in many executions.

After the reformation there were many executions and imprisonments as the churches job was to uphold the state (and whatever monarchy was in charge at the time). By the time the American Revolution rolled around many Protestants were calling for the separation of church and state.

The purpose of the separation of church and state was to protect individual freedom in worship and eliminate a state run church so that all religions would be treated equally under the law and be free from government interference.

That is why it is so ironic that today so many Evangelicals are calling for state sponsored religious activity. As far as I'm concerned I want the government as far away from church as possible.

Having said that, the state also shouldn't prohibit the free exercise of religion. Many anti-religious people believe that the separation of church and state is not only the separation of church and government but the separation of church and society.

I don't mind the principle not praying at the local HS. What if he is a Muslim or Wiccan or some religion that is against Christianity? Does he have the right to pray? Is it only Baptist that have the right to pray over our children and lead our children in Prayer? How about Catholics? How about Mormons? How about Jehovahs Witnesses?

It seems to me that if you are going to let the school teach religion then somebody has to decide which one and which view is acceptable to teach.

It IS ironic!

Some of these "Evangelical" groups in the USA trace their history back to just such Protestant who came here to America exactly, precisely to get away from what these few "Evangelicals" now want to impose.

This goes for my own denomination, too. The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod traces it's history to Germany. There were two State Churches - government run churches (One Catholic, the other a very, very liberal generic "Protestant"). The Catholic side was okay but the Protestant one was a real problem for conservative, traditional folks - especially Lutheran (since it leaned ultra liberal Calvinist). Protestants were forced to use State curriculum in all their schools - and it was horrible!!! The State was imposing liberal, heretical garbage in the name of Religion, in the name of Christianity. So.... hundreds of pastors and families left Germany, got into 3 boats (sound familiar?) and headed for America. Together, they settled in Perry County Missouri (and there abouts) and begun churches, a college, a seminary and schools - all completely devoid of ANY government control. A similar group settled in Wisconsin (and became The Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod). Our roots are in ESCAPING government interference in religion, government teaching our children ITS religion. Our "roots" (like many American churches) are in the Freedom of Religion, the complete lack of the State imposing some religion and theology. Our conviction that religion is the "stuff" of churches - not the king - and that God have the authority to teach our children to their parents - not the public, not the government.

Now, my point here has nothing to do with "separation of church and state" - I've not mentioned that even ONCE in this thread or the "Keep Religion Out of Public Schools" thread. Lees keeps bringing that up as a diversion but I've not once mentioned it. I just don't want Gov. Newsom telling MY son was is true and false about religion. God gave that authority and responsibility to PARENTS, not the secular state... and you can bet your last dime that ANYTHING the California Department of Public Education comes up with would be loaded with heresy, sin, and falsehood, disgusting morality - force fed to my son in the name of Religion (or even worse, Christianity).

Nor do I think it's necessary, helpful or good to force the Department of Education on our children - chaos will result and the VAST majority of parents will be angered and offended by the ___________ you KNOW the government will put forth. ___________ Lees seems totally okay with. Right now, the government is AGREEING with the Bible, agreeing that religious instruction belongs in the home (not public schools!), it's the responsibility of PARENTS (not the king, not the public, not Planned Parenthood, not Gov. Newsom). I agree with the Bible.... so do Public schools on this point.... so does the US Constitution.... so does the law in all 50 states... it's Lees who opposes all this.

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
She gave me this example: A local church is having a big Christmas party for children. Now STUDENTS can pass out fliers inviting kids (that's generally okay) but can the SCHOOL pass them out? Say the teacher to all the kids in her class? Can the school mention this event in the opening announcement given by the school? Ah, that's a gray area and it will vary from school to school (or even district to district). It may vary depending on the situation, community, etc. within the guidelines.

In theory I'd have thought it wouldn't specifically promote the church itself, as long as the school was equally willing to hand out information for comparable events from mosques, synagogues, temples etc.

My guess is that the people who would howl the loudest at a school refusing to hand out leaflets for their church would also howl the loudest if the school agreed to hand out leaflets for a Sikh gurdwara or similar.

Top Bottom