Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Prove that:

1) God rested on the first day of the week
2) God blessed the first day of the week
3) God sanctified (or set apart for a holy use)
4) God wrote the 1st day of the week in His law
(Check out the short video)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Prove that God MANDATES that all public worship be on a Saturday and that it is disallowed on any other day.

No one ever said that Saturday is Sunday or that Tuesday is actually Thursday. It's just that a tiny, tiny minority of Christians in the last couple of centuries invented this idea that God MANDATES public worship on Saturday and FORBIDS it otherwise. Of course, they have NOTHING in the New Testament or for 1800 years of Christianity to support this..... and even if they wish to abandon Christianity and become a Jew, they have NOTHING in the OT that states that either.

Christians generally have held that for the JEWS, the biggest and best thing God ever did was Creation - and thus celebrate that on the Day that God did. Christians can top that (A LOT) and we do that on the Day God did it. But neither has anything to do with MANDATING or FORBIDDING a certain day of the week for worship. Indeed, the greatest days of public worship in the OT (for example, the Day of Atonement) more often than not did NOT happen on a Saturday - much less is it MANDATED; the Passover actually happened over several days (which would by necessity include a Saturday but also a Sunday) with NOTHING about "But thou canst worship ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY during the 24 hours of Saturday and the Lord shalt strike thee dead if thou does anything related to the Lord on some other day." It's just not there.

I think this whole debate irrelevant and baseless. And the foundation of this tiny, new pov is "IF God doesn't specifically MANDATE it, we can't do it." But then they post on the internet and prove they disagree with their own foundational point.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Prove that Sunday is the Christian Sabbath? Not all Christians declare that Sunday is the Sabbath, so maybe you should realize that.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Prove that Sunday is the Christian Sabbath? Not all Christians declare that Sunday is the Sabbath, so maybe you should realize that.
Actually, almost no Christian churches do consider Sunday to be the Sabbath.

Their ministers and people are given to talking casually as if they do think that, but Saturday is still officially considered to be the Sabbath, even though Sunday was adopted as the main day of worship by the early church as is described in the New Testament.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I thought the video was a little creepy so I stopped watching it.

My Bible says to pray without ceasing. We worship God everyday and not just one day of the week.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I read somewhere about a guy who had something to say about the sabbath being made for man, rather than man made for the sabbath. I think he'd been told off for being really naughty, healing somebody on the sabbath. Naughty Jesus.

Some weeks Sunday is the day I do the most work. Some weeks I do nothing of any consequence on a Sunday. Some Sundays I barely leave my recliner, not even going to church. Some weeks I take a day of rest on a day other people are working hard.

If the purpose of the sabbath is to make sure we take a day of rest it doesn't really matter what day we rest. If, as Jesus once said, the sabbath was made for man, it's about making sure we aren't working flat out all the time with no chance to rest and recharge our batteries. I for one am glad that medical staff work around the week, taking their days off in a staggered fashion rather than abandoning their patients because it's a designated day of the week. When I gashed myself late on a Friday afternoon I'm glad the medical staff hadn't cleared off, leaving me to wait until sunset on Saturday before putting me back together again. Perhaps they stand condemned for healing me on the Sabbath. I'm glad Jesus takes the stance that it's better to do good on the Sabbath than not to do good.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Prove that:

1) God rested on the first day of the week
2) God blessed the first day of the week
3) God sanctified (or set apart for a holy use)
4) God wrote the 1st day of the week in His law
(Check out the short video)

I can't ... will you settle for 'proof' that he did all those things on 'Sunday'?

We are all in agreement that (1) thru (4) all apply to the LAST day of the week, correct?

Here is a calendar:
simple-european-square-calendar-2018-vector-1764049.jpg

Notice that the FIRST day of the week on this calendar is 'Monday' and the last day is 'Sunday'.
Therefore,
1) God rested on the last day of the week (Sunday)
2) God blessed the last day of the week (Sunday)
3) God sanctified (or set apart for a holy use) the last day of the week (Sunday)
4) God wrote the last day of the week in His law

In the Middle East Calendars, the last day of the week is Saturday. So Jews wanting to obey God's Law had to keep the last day of the week (the Sabbath) which was Saturday, holy.
Paul was forbidden by the Holy Spirit from taking the Gospel into Asia and instead was sent to Europe. The attached calendar is a European Calendar and, as you can plainly see, the first day of the week in Europe is Monday and the last day of the week is Sunday. Since Europe was the center of Christianity for more than a millennium and a half following Jesus death, Christians wishing to obey God and keep the last day holy had to honor Sunday. Why do you want us to reject the New Covenant of God and return to Judaism?

[For the record, this answer is complete nonsense, but so are your questions.] :piano:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Jesus Christ is the Sabbath now amen.
Sun-Sat 24/7 all year round now and forever