Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
"God is doing a new thing, get on board or miss out"

"The Word tells us that life & death are in the power of the tongue and by our words we will be judged"

"I'm bearing witness of the anointing to you. It is pointless if you can't receive that because you haven't received the baptism of the Holy Spirit"

"It's good doctrine! It's anointed too. The fruits bear it out."

"There will always be a cheering section against that which is anointed. All of the good stuff with persecutions... We must be careful not to ally ourselves in the wrong way in our ignorance."

"Most important, we shouldn't speak out in ignorance against what we don't understand."

These are (paraphrased) comments I've read and heard when discussing the "new thing" that God is allegedly doing. What do they all have in common?

They say nothing about why the teaching is good, they use no Scripture to support it (it doesn't even cherrypick a verse or two out of context to "support" the cause), and they use no Scripture to refute those who oppose the teaching. The common theme is that they look to shut down a discussion, to instil fear that maybe we're wrong and we'd better get with the new program, we'd better drink the Kool-Aid or we're going to miss out on God's latest and greatest movement. Maybe worse than that, if we don't get with the new program maybe we don't have the Holy Spirit, maybe we're not even saved. If we dare to speak against the teaching, are we speaking out against God himself? Are we really to "touch not the Lord's anointed"?

Frankly, I say all this is garbage. Scripture calls us to test all things. Scripture tells us to study to show ourselves approved. Scripture doesn't tell us to just do what feels good, or to trust someone else blindly, or to hide away from those who use stern sounding language against us.

Another thing all these types of comment have in common is that going further than the observation that they say nothing about the teaching under discussion, is that they would apply equally well to any number of weird and wonderful belief systems. Don't believe that Mohammed is God's prophet? Well, perhaps the Qu'ran "is good doctrine, it's anointed, the fruits bear it out" - it's not difficult to find Muslims who do a lot of good work. Don't believe in Vishnu? Well, don't speak out in ignorance against what we don't understand. Don't believe that the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the world by waving his noodly appendages? Best not be too vocal about it - life and death are in the power of the tongue and by our words we'll be judged. And FSM theology probably does "resonate in the spirit" of those who call themselves Pastafarians.

The claim that good things are always persecuted is perhaps the most insidious of all. Yes, good things are resisted and persecuted but so are bad things. People might be speaking against something because it's too close to the truth they can't accept, or they might be speaking against something because it's demonstrably untrue. This kind of line is the sort of thing I'd expect from a cult looking to discourage people from listening to those who speak against it.

I find it particularly worrying when such cult-like behaviour appears within a group that calls itself Christian. The Bible tells us to test all things, and the only way to meaningfully test is to use an objective standard. If we don't use an objective standard we might as well be two people on either side of a market stall arguing over whether the bag of sugar really weighs a pound, with the seller saying they think it's good and the buyer saying they think it's underweight, but neither side putting it on a scale to find out for sure. So if a teaching doesn't align with the Bible, throw it out. If the teacher doesn't want to be tested against the Bible, it's probably good to ask why.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The bible is our standard and if it is of God it will line up, if it doesnt then get away from it

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The bible is our standard and if it is of God it will line up, if it doesnt then get away from it

Very true, we just need to make sure it lines up with the overall message of Scripture rather than just a cherrypicked verse or two plucked out of context to make a point.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Once I hear someone say anointed, I will dismiss anything else they have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using my right thumb.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
We anoint people at baptism and confirmation :)

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
...in the context of this thread.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Once I hear someone say anointed, I will dismiss anything else they have to say.

The word is horribly overused in some circles. It's sad when people lose the sense of "I really liked that" and turn it into something it isn't - "it's anointed". I don't switch off instantly but it usually doesn't take long to figure if someone uses the word "anointed" to mean "anointed" or "something I happen to like". The latter case can usually be disregarded.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
When folk start telling me that refusing to believe what they believe or that calling what they say into doubt is the same as testing the Holy Spirit and opposing God then I know that they are feeding me a line of poppycock and that not a thing they claim is worth much at all.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Then I take it you have never heard a preacher who was truly annointed? It isnt hard to tell providing you listen to that small voice inside you and you are hooked up so to speak so you can hear the spirit of God

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
PRIDE.... I think that is the common appeal in bad theology.....

Individuals (persons, denominations, sects, cults) insisting that SELF is smarter than God and has been individually appointed by God to "make sense" out of the mess He left us in Scripture. It is an appeal to the BRAIN of SELF who - being SO smart and/or the SOLE one God leads and teachers - will clear things up for God who frankly did a really bad (or just inadequate) job of revealing things to us.

In the words of my Greek Orthodox friend, "the heart of all heresy is the unwillingness to shut up."

My Lutheran pastor often comments that HUMILITY is the basis of all good theology. That includes the humility to SHUT UP, to let GOD have the last word, to admit "I don't know," to let things stand as Scripture states. And the humility to embrace that Scripture wasn't given to ME exclusively and individually (whether ME is a person or church or deneomination or sect or cult), the Holy Spirit doesn't just lead ME, the church is not ME.

Ironically, Christianity has often been dominated with enormous, unmitigated, self-glorifying, power-grabbing PRIDE..... humility/community have not been hallmarks. This point was central as to why I left the RCC.

My view...

- Josiah

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Fear based teaching that takes the stance that one must accept the teaching of minister X or risk opposing God and God's anointed is bad. It can be very bad and even positively evil.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Fear based teaching that takes the stance that one must accept the teaching of minister X or risk opposing God and God's anointed is bad. It can be very bad and even positively evil.

It totally trashes the context of the verse.

If Paul's teaching wasn't above being questioned just who do these teachers of today think they are to expect a free pass, misusing Scripture to avoid being tested against Scripture? Truth be told if I see someone who clearly doesn't want to be tested against Scripture I'll tend to regard them as suspect unless they can be shown to be sound.

Top Bottom