PGA verses LIV

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Has anyone noticed the fracture taking place in the golf world? A new golf league has been created, the LIV. LIV speaks to the Roman numeral 54.

Many ranked players were invited to join or play in tournaments, and did. But then the PGA banned them from the PGA and any of its tournaments. But they can still play in the majors as they are run by a different group.

One of the main complaints I hear is that the LIV is backed financially by the Saudi's. I don't see why that is a problem. The U.S. imports oil from Saudi Arabia.

I enjoy watching golf. I don't see a new golf league as something bad. Competition is always good, right?

Greg Norman is the CEO of LIV. And it has attracted some big name players. I hope it makes it. More golf to watch, if they can get it on TV, which they can't right now in the U.S.

Lees

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't watch golf. What makes it exciting for you? It all looks the same to me!

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't watch golf. What makes it exciting for you? It all looks the same to me!
Interesting question.

I don't consider golf to be "exciting" in the way that, say, horse racing or football might be. Still, it can be riveting when several contenders are fighting for the best score, particularly during the last day of a major tournament. Each hole and the score recorded for each person matters, and there are a number of pitfalls and unexpected mistakes that can 'cost' one of the contenders at a moment's notice. Plus, the championship is often decided by only several strokes.

What I consider a snoozer is the typical soccer game, and that's because there is usually almost no scoring at all despite the running and kicking, etc. done by the competitors over the course of more than an hour of frantic play.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

I had the same view as a young kid. I couldn't stand it being on TV.

My view of it changed in watching the Ryders Cup many years ago, 1999. That weekend I was doing nothing, and happened on it on TV at the start. I say 'start'. I came on it on Saturday which is the third day of the contest. Then on Sunday, the American golfers made a tremendous comeback to win. I think Ben Crenshaw was the coach of the Ameican side.

So, from then on, I enjoy watching it. Especially the big tournaments that draws the big names. Just like tomorrow, you will have the U.S. Open, which is a Major tournament. I don't have cable so can't watch it till Saturday when it is put on regular TV. But if you have cable and the Golf channel, you would be able to.

If you watched it from beginning to end, you will find yourself rooting for someone. You will find yourself interested in the shots he makes. You will find yourself learning about the game and becoming interested. You will see it is not all the same and is extremely nerve racking.

Try it.

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
@Lamb

Well, I couldn't believe it. I turned on the TV and the U.S. Open is being played on NBC. So, there is your chance to watch and get familiar and enjoy the game, all four days of it.

No doubt the rift between the PGA and LIV has played a role in this, as it is not normally done.

Lees

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just noticed the U.S. Open on television today and was thinking that with some of the big names with the other organization now (LIV) then maybe it will give some of these lower level players who haven't won a chance to win some tournaments.

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I play a little and watch some, usually the US Open and Masters. I am interested in the LIV concept, I may tune in if it were on TV or streaming service, but I won't just casually follow it via websites and such.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Just noticed the U.S. Open on television today and was thinking that with some of the big names with the other organization now (LIV) then maybe it will give some of these lower level players who haven't won a chance to win some tournaments.

I certainly think the LIV allows for some lower level players to get paid even though they are not classed, at this time, in they upper level. In other words, they are paid for competing. Which sounds more than right to me.

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I play a little and watch some, usually the US Open and Masters. I am interested in the LIV concept, I may tune in if it were on TV or streaming service, but I won't just casually follow it via websites and such.

I never have played golf. But, I wish I had.

One thing I do like about it compared to other sports is you are really not competing with the other person. You are competing with the Golf Course. It's you and the course.

The course shows no bias.

Lees

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I never have played golf. But, I wish I had.

One thing I do like about it compared to other sports is you are really not competing with the other person. You are competing with the Golf Course. It's you and the course.

The course shows no bias.

Lees
I looks like they broadcast on their website, Youtube and Facebook....so I actually will try and watch the next event and see how I like it.

I have only played short executive courses and the driving range. The long game at 18 hole courses is a bit above my desire to a time commitment. I took 10 lessons from a pro around 10 years ago, he said that in that time he could get me "good" enough to drive straight and play a course, and he did. I am certainly no golf prodigy, but with the basics down the game is a lot less frustrating. I would recommend a few lessons to anyone that might want to play.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have only played short executive courses and the driving range. The long game at 18 hole courses is a bit above my desire to a time commitment.

I can't help thinking of the quote (I think it was from Oscar Wilde) that golf is a good walk spoiled. It seems like throwing sticks to a dog when you don't have a dog and have to go and get the stick yourself. But then I used to enjoy watching the Tour de France while other people find very little less interesting than watching a bunch of men in lycra riding bicycles.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can't help thinking of the quote (I think it was from Oscar Wilde) that golf is a good walk spoiled. It seems like throwing sticks to a dog when you don't have a dog and have to go and get the stick yourself. But then I used to enjoy watching the Tour de France while other people find very little less interesting than watching a bunch of men in lycra riding bicycles.
It could be considered a waste in very much the same way that croquet or bowling or horseshoes or curling or shuffleboard could be called pointless and a waste of time.

Would we agree with that? Maybe not, because there is the competition, plus the fact that the events are games of skill, and so on.

However, with golf you get all of that and also get that beautiful walk in the park as well, except that golf courses are, by and large, prettier and better maintained than the great majority of parks.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It could be considered a waste in very much the same way that croquet or bowling or horseshoes or curling or shuffleboard could be called pointless and a waste of time.

Would we agree with that? Maybe not, because there is the competition, plus the fact that the events are games of skill, and so on.

However, with golf you get all of that and also get that beautiful walk in the park as well, except that golf courses are, by and large, prettier and better maintained than the great majority of parks.

You do indeed get all those things. Personally I'd rather walk in the woods, but that's me. I've seen some really nice golf courses, mostly in the context of using public paths that passed through them. I used to live not far from a golf course and often rode my mountain bike along the (public) path that cut across it.

I guess it's one of those "to each his own" things. I don't see the point of it, but then other people don't see the point of the things I enjoy doing.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not much of a golfer, but I think what I was trying to say was that there is much to like about both of them--hiking on a beautiful nature trail and playing a round of golf on an attractive course, which most of them are. Getting a good golf score--whatever that might be for each individual--needs be no more essential to having a good outing than eyeing the deer you might have been hoping to catch sight of while on your hike.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not much of a golfer, but I think what I was trying to say was that there is much to like about both of them--hiking on a beautiful nature trail and playing a round of golf on an attractive course, which most of them are. Getting a good golf score--whatever that might be for each individual--needs be no more essential to having a good outing than eyeing the deer you might have been hoping to catch sight of while on your hike.

True, and a large part of the purpose of a pastime is to pass time. If you enjoy doing something have at it. The fact someone else thinks it's a waste of time doesn't need to detract from your enjoyment of it.

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
LIV players didn't make much of a showing in the US Open this past weekend. Regardless, it was a good tournament, I watch most of Saturday and the last couple hours on Sunday.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
LIV players didn't make much of a showing in the US Open this past weekend. Regardless, it was a good tournament, I watch most of Saturday and the last couple hours on Sunday.

A whole lot of PGA members didn't make much of a showing either.

That is the way it is with golf. You can win the Masters one week. Miss the cut the next.

Lees

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A whole lot of PGA members didn't make much of a showing either.

That is the way it is with golf. You can win the Masters one week. Miss the cut the next.

Lees
That is a really valid point, good observation to point out. Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing who joins up as the weeks go on, and for their next event. Do you know why they are taking August off?

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
That is a really valid point, good observation to point out. Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing who joins up as the weeks go on, and for their next event. Do you know why they are taking August off?

No, I don't. I googled the schedule which is this.

1.) June 9-11--England.

2.) June 30-July 2--Oregon

3.) July 29-31--New Jersey

4.) Sept2-4--Bostn, Mass.

5.) Sept. 16-18--Chicago, Ill.

6.) Oct 7-9--Bangkok, Thailand

7.) Oct. 14-16--Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

8.) Oct 27-30--Miami, Florida

I am looking forward to others joining also. I hope it makes it. I think it would be good for golf. As with anything, you have to have the support and financial backing. And the players have to have the resolve to stick with it.

All in the face of the PGA which is going to do everything it can to discourage and stop this new league.

Lees

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
More players are jumping over every day, Brooks Koepka just signed on. PGA is going to have to do something, I would hope they back pedal on the ban of LIV players also playing in PGA events. I think that would be best for the sport overall. Bedminster should be a good event, Trump will be looking to get back at the PGA for pulling the games at his courses.

Top Bottom