Parting

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Improvement is always to be encouraged...

Thank-you...

A step forward indeed...

Arsenios
So improve and reject your present false teaching.
Thank-you...
That would be a great step forward indeed...

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So improve and reject your present false teaching.
Thank-you...
That would be a great step forward indeed...

Bossy Protestants can be annoying, 'tis true...
So can bossy moralistic busybodies of any stripe...
Orthodox included...
But it doesn't mean they are bad persons...

We disagree on this matter...
We can be adults about it...

We can simply be...
Christians in the Love of God...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox included...

We can simply be...

Arsenios
We are all corrupt. We all are entirely dependent upon God to save us with no merit being derived from anything we do or don't do. We trust in God alone.
God may adopt us or we can be rebels who wear sheeps clothing. As long as you insist on earning your salvation, you will be wearing sheeps clothing and not living in the love of God.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Orthodox included...

We can simply be...

Arsenios

I can't find that verse that says "God loves a bossy poster"

:smirk:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
...with no merit being derived from anything we do ...

'For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; to one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. The one who had received the five talents went off at once and traded with them, and made five more talents. In the same way, the one who had the two talents made two more talents. But the one who had received the one talent went off and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money. After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. Then the one who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five more talents, saying, "Master, you handed over to me five talents; see, I have made five more talents." His master said to him, "Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master." And the one with the two talents also came forward, saying, "Master, you handed over to me two talents; see, I have made two more talents." His master said to him, "Well done, good and trustworthy slave; you have been trustworthy in a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master." Then the one who had received the one talent also came forward, saying, "Master, I knew that you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed; so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours." But his master replied, "You wicked and lazy slave! You knew, did you, that I reap where I did not sow, and gather where I did not scatter? Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received what was my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to the one with the ten talents. For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away. As for this worthless slave, throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
Matthew 25:14-30

Try reading the gospels, MennoSota, there's a lesson or two in them and they will benefit those who read them helping to make them wise and learn to rightly divide the oracles of God.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Myth 23: Burying your gift under the earth (flesh) and not render to Jesus the fruit of what He planted in you, and get your gift taken from you and be cast out into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Many have viewed the parable of the talents as Jesus teaching his disciples the need to work and produce salvation. Seemingly, the parable teaches that the final servant was thrown to throw outside into darkness, “that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’” The writer in the article “70 ways of falling away” suggests that the parable in Matthew 25 teaches us that we can lose our salvation if we*bury our gift under the earth (flesh) and not render to Jesus the fruit of what He planted in us, and get our gift taken from us and be cast out into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.*May I suggest that this is not so.

It may be shocking for you to know that “burying the monies into the ground” is an old covenant practice. It has nothing to do with “not doing enough for Jesus works mentality”. “Burying money in the ground was looked upon as the best way to ensure against its being stolen*(m. Bava Batra*4:7—9).”

In other words, the 3rd*servant was still operating under the old covenant mentality. Thereafter he makes accusation of his master as being a hard man, a cheat and he was afraid of him.

26*“His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?*27*Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28*“‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags.*29*For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.*30*And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

What makes God angry today? Paul states in Romans 1 and Romans 5 how we can make God angry and how we can peace with God. Romans 1 tells us that “18*The wrath of God*is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness,*19*since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.*20*For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made,*so that people are without excuse.”

Dear friends, we are told that God is angry because “we suppress the truth by their wickedness.” This truth is made plain to all and is seen since creation. Unfortunately many people don’t understand this truth. Many think this “truth” is the truth about God’s nature. It is not.

Dear friends, look at Romans 5. Therefore, since we have been justified*through faith,*we[a]*have*peace*with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (v. 1) *Paul tells us the way to peace is justification through faith.

Therefore the truth is found in verse 17 of Romans 1. It is this:*17*For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed*—a righteousness that is by faith*from first to last,[a]*just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”

The truth that the people suppressed in this: God justifies you because of faith!”.*

This is the moral of the story of the parable. The first 2 servants took risks. They operated by faith. They went to the Gentiles. They went with new covenant mentality. The last one operated by logic, work and the teachings of Old Testament rabbis. He trusted in security in the old covenant.

So God’s wrath is manifested when the truth that “salvation by faith” is suppressed. Our peace with God is achieved when we are justified by faith. Hence how we think of God must be right.

The 3rd*servant of his master was a cruel one. He suffered from a “suppressed truth”. In his “confession’, he also pronounced a “suppressed truth” about his master. This was why the master was angry with him. He was suppressing the truth of his master!

There you have it. The 3rd*servant was never a new covenant believer. His trust and beliefs were based on old testament traditions. He never believed. He was never one. He was never saved. How could he have lost his salvation?

Be at peace!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hischa...-salvation-23-the-parable-of-the-talents/amp/

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It would be beneficial if you read a bit further.

I learned not to take the poison apple from your posts and eat it. No thanks for the link.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I learned not to take the poison apple from your posts and eat it. No thanks for the link.
You prove my point. You will not allow your self to be removed from the throne so that only God can save you. You insist on your self as the determiner of your fate.
There is only one place that self can determine as a destiny. That place is called hell. Please repent, MC.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I'm grateful for a God on whom we can rely for grace to save, lest we rely on the grace of man to inform us of when we are saved. I would call on Menno to repent of his own evil works of judgement

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Jesus didn't have any denomination and I don't believe he wanted us divided over which denomination in Christianity is correct.
As John wrote "beloved let us love one another".

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus didn't have any denomination and I don't believe he wanted us divided over which denomination in Christianity is correct.
As John wrote "beloved let us love one another".

I thought He was a Jew?

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I thought He was a Jew?
Yes, He was from the tribe of Judah however when He formed His church there was no Jewish or Gentile church All are one in Christ.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Many have viewed the parable of the talents as
Jesus teaching his disciples the need to work and produce salvation.

One thing that it does teach is that every person is given a portion/talent...
And that what they do with what they are given is what matters to God...
God gives the talent(s)...
Man takes action with the talent(s) God Gives...
God gives the Gift of Salvation to those:
"Who have not received their soul in vain,
And have not sworn deceitfully to their neighbors..."

As the Psalmist sings...

Arsenios

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
One thing that it does teach is that every person is given a portion/talent...
And that what they do with what they are given is what matters to God...
God gives the talent(s)...
Man takes action with the talent(s) God Gives...
God gives the Gift of Salvation to those:
"Who have not received their soul in vain,
And have not sworn deceitfully to their neighbors..."

As the Psalmist sings...

Arsenios
What the parable is not teaching: It is not teaching that Christians can lose their salvation by their actions or inaction with the life they live.
Anyone attempting to teach salvation by works or retaining of salvation by works has badly misunderstood the parable.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What the parable is not teaching: It is not teaching that Christians can lose their salvation by their actions or inaction with the life they live.
Anyone attempting to teach salvation by works or retaining of salvation by works has badly misunderstood the parable.

Anyone can squander their inheritance...

No mother's son is so high, exalted and mighty that he cannot fall...

If he but hides his God-given talent in the dirt, he forsakes his inheritance...

Because he has hidden away his Gift and made it of no account...

And he thinks he still has what he has not by having hid it...

To which Christ replies:

Mat 25:28-30
Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance:
but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness:
There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Arsenios

Top Bottom