... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
OK folks, it would be really good to get the nominated threads feature back into play. You should notice a green button at the top of threads that allows you to nominate it to be a featured thread. If you particularly enjoy a thread why not nominate it to be featured? The most widely nominated threads then get a pretty gold star, and the people who started them also get some recognition.

Just a few basic ground rules to try and keep it as inclusive as possible:

Threads must be open for anyone to post (so denomination-specific threads and threads in the single/married areas don't qualify)
Threads must be a discussion of a specific topic rather than general chatter.
Please don't nominate your own threads.

Rather than having specific cut-off times I'll start out looking to see if threads become particularly popular and feature them individually, although depending on how things play out may look to change that.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
...Threads must be open for anyone to post (so denomination-specific threads and threads in the single/married areas don't qualify)...

I think you mean threads must be open for all Christians to post...no? :BananaDrum:

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
This is the first time I've heard you can't nominate your own thread.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hey Ruth, it has not been mentioned before. [unm]tango[/unm] has agreed to step up and manage the "Featured Threads" and is instituting some new policies by requesting everyone follow them from this point forward. :)

I will be adding a new setting for this product that will enable the admins to disable nominations of self-authored threads. :D

edit: I have added the new setting, and set it to "No" so that now users cannot nominate their own threads. :thinkerg:

edit 2: I have also used the preexisting feature that allows threads to be disqualified from nominations based on prefix to include the denomination specific prefixes.

Last edited:

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I can't vote for myself? Oh wow, that's democratic of you.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Ok denomination specific cant be nominated? ok

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think you mean threads must be open for all Christians to post...no? :BananaDrum:

Yes, good call.

I figure we're looking for threads that inspire other people to nominate them. If we let people nominate their own threads we could end up with a huge list of threads with only one vote. Some people consider it bad form to nominate their own thread, and if they end up one vote short of others it seems like a disadvantage we can easily avoid.

I can't vote for myself? Oh wow, that's democratic of you.

I'm sure you can find some other threads to nominate. If people like your threads they can nominate them.

Ok denomination specific cant be nominated? ok

I'm wanting to see threads that provoke a lot of discussion and explore a lot of different viewpoints. A denomination-specific thread is more likely to focus on a particular teaching of a specific denomination, with a view to focussing on that teaching rather than inviting other viewpoints. So while a thread titled "Catholics Only - Are we too obsessed with Mary?" might generate some interesting discussion a thread titled "Methodists Only - should we avoid drinking alcohol?" is likely to be somewhat one-sided. Depending on how things develop we may look to tweak things a little, but for now I'm wanting to feature threads that encourage people to explore viewpoints they might not hold.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Those are all good points since we should also be looking at what people see on the outside looking in. The Featured Threads are reflective of the site.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
OK folks, we've got a few thread nominations out there but only one thread has generated more than one vote.

It would be really good to see people nominating threads. If you enjoyed a discussion, if a thread made you think about something in a good way, if a thread gave you a new perspective on something or maybe helped you understand another viewpoint on something, feel free to nominate it to be featured!

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
...It would be really good to see people nominating threads. If you enjoyed a discussion, if a thread made you think about something in a good way, if a thread gave you a new perspective on something or maybe helped you understand another viewpoint on something, feel free to nominate it to be featured!

Yes, the more people we have making nominations of threads they feel have good content, the easier it will be to see which threads rise to the top, which makes [unm]tango[/unm]'s job easier and makes our featured threads list that much better. Thank you to those who are already nominating threads, and I invite more to get involved. :thumbsup:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, the more people we have making nominations of threads they feel have good content, the easier it will be to see which threads rise to the top, which makes [unm]tango[/unm]'s job easier and makes our featured threads list that much better. Thank you to those who are already nominating threads, and I invite more to get involved. :thumbsup:

... and if nobody expresses an opinion the Featured Threads list ends up being the Threads Tango Likes list :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
... and if nobody expresses an opinion the Featured Threads list ends up being the Threads Tango Likes list :)

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands!!

Voting is easy and you get to vote on more than one thread, so go for it. Press the Add Nomination button! Okay, not on this thread though.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have nominated some threads. :)

Last edited:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands!!

Voting is easy and you get to vote on more than one thread, so go for it. Press the Add Nomination button! Okay, not on this thread though.

If people really want to nominate this thread I won't stop them. I won't lose any sleep if it doesn't make the Most Loved Thread list though :)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Congratulations Lammchen, visionary and Ruth on the promotion of your threads to the Featured Threads list!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm going to look to promote some more threads to the Featured Threads list in a couple of weeks or so. All existing nominations still stand, and the more people that nominate threads the more interesting the Featured Threads list will be!

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
So how is the threads doing.. are you going to get a blow by blow input of which threads are gaining popularity or which thread wins this week/month/year??

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So how is the threads doing.. are you going to get a blow by blow input of which threads are gaining popularity or which thread wins this week/month/year??

When people nominate threads for inclusion I can see a list of the threads, along with how many people (and who) nominated them. As a rule the most popular ones get promoted. If there are too many to add them all it can go to a vote where the staff collectively decide.

I also look for threads that are active. If a featured thread doesn't get any new posts for several days I'll pull it from the list and replace it with another nominated thread. That makes sure the featured threads are currently active discussions rather than things that might have been interesting for a time but nobody has said anything for a while.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
... and speaking of which, one of the Featured Threads hadn't had a new post in nearly a fortnight so it got replaced. Congratulations to MarkFL for his thread that is now featured!

Top Bottom