Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I was reading a discussion somewhere concerning people leaving the church. One guy said that when people leave the church, they leave because they hate Jesus.

I'm not sure what to think about that. What are your thoughts?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's hard to figure what that person was referring to. I can imagine that, among the people who have left the church in recent years, some of them turned against God because of a tragedy in their personal lives, often occurring despite the prayers of that person.

Some churches have a way of emphasizing the idea of God as either the epitome of kindness or else as righteous in his punishment of unbelievers and the wicked. That means that when a certain kind of believer experiences a severe setback in life, he cannot harmonize it with believing in a God who was thought to engineer--for the better--every last event taking place in the believer's life.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was reading a discussion somewhere concerning people leaving the church. One guy said that when people leave the church, they leave because they hate Jesus.

I'm not sure it's helpful to think of a single universal reason why people leave "the church", nor is it necessarily helpful to even refer to "the church" as if it were a single entity. In theory it kinda sorta should be but in practise the term means different things to different people.

I'm sure some leave church because they think of Jesus as some kind of hateful bigot. You know, the whole issue with teaching against sinfulness doesn't sit well with people who think anything goes as long as you're more tolerant than the next guy (except to anyone with a different viewpoint, obviously).

Then there are probably others who leave a specific church because they aren't getting fed, or because it's little more than a glorified social club, or because the church doesn't want people like them in it (seriously, a guy I loosely know ended up at a church teaching all sorts of kooky garbage about prosperity because it was the only church he could find that would welcome him after his divorce). It's easy to see why people would quit attending a church if they feel everybody else in the church is judging them for failings real or imagined.

And, as Albion said, sometimes people buy into the idea that God will make everything right in their lives and then leave when God doesn't make everything right in their lives.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's been years ago, but once at a Council meeting, our pastor shared an article with us.... seems some organization did a survey of people who had dropped out of church... they once were members and active at a local parish but now were "dechurched" (the term the article used)

I don't recall the exact results, but I do remember that at the top was that they felt not embraced, not befriended, perhaps not even noticed. And it happens too when people move, that "connection" didn't happen (they felt unwelcomed) and so they dropped out of the church.

And I recall then it was a related issued, they felt not cared for. Perhaps they had some need (spiritual, emotional, relational, etc) and it was unmet. The church seemed not to care, the church didn't do anything. Or worse, did something that made it worse. They felt hurt and/or unloved and/or unhelped.

These were the two reasons for the VAST majority of those who dropped out. Whether Catholic or Protestant or Evangelical, the denomination didn't seem to matter.

WAY down on the list was the reason I left my former church, disagreement. And this was usually because they felt the church had become too liberal, especially on moral and/or social issues (rather than mine which was theology).

Typically - as I recall our pastor relating the article - the dechurched (drop outs) are NOT unchristian... they typically don't leave the faith, just the church. They may still regard themselves as "spiritual" and "Christian" and often note a vigorous prayer life. But of course, eventually that fades.. and their children not brought up Christian. These "dechurched" people, he said the article noted, are winnable, they can be regained (although perhaps not by the parish they left) but it ain't easy, there is wrong to undo.

On both my side of the family and my wife's side, all are solidly churched. But I have LOTS of friends, neighbors, co-workers who fit well into that "dechurched" group. ONCE they were active in a church, but rarely if ever attend any church now and who aren't raising their kids particularly Christian. And I hear these stories... of being rejected, of being hurt or let down, of moving and not being able to connect with a church. Rarely is the problem Jesus....but their relationship and faith in Jesus seems seriously diminished.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I can think of all kinds of reasons for people leaving the church that really has nothing to do with Christ. For example, caught in some public sin, don't want to give it up, don't want to face the people. Others, like Josiah mentioned may feel left out of congregations for one reason or another.

When I was a young man, for a time I went to 2 different churches, mainly because I had some friends that did. One was a Lutheran church, and the other a (for lack of a better term) "fiery" type Pentecostal church. I left the latter while continuing with the former for personal reasons, as the pastor at the Pentecostal one did something to me that I could not tolerate.

When I finally stopped going altogether, I had moved (both out of country and familiarity comfort zones) and it was primarily because I felt I needed to separate and work a few things out in my mind without any kind of "churchy" type influence - be that laying on of guilt in some form, or must-be-believed-by-faith type messages such as "God told me to tell you such and such...". In the last congregation I attended I felt spiritually manipulated rather than enlightened and so I made a decision to separate myself.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

More likely a lack of faith, or they feel that particular church is irrelevant. The later will go looking for a different church that more meets their needs.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can think of all kinds of reasons for people leaving the church that really has nothing to do with Christ. For example, caught in some public sin, don't want to give it up, don't want to face the people. Others, like Josiah mentioned may feel left out of congregations for one reason or another.

When I was a young man, for a time I went to 2 different churches, mainly because I had some friends that did. One was a Lutheran church, and the other a (for lack of a better term) "fiery" type Pentecostal church. I left the latter while continuing with the former for personal reasons, as the pastor at the Pentecostal one did something to me that I could not tolerate.

When I finally stopped going altogether, I had moved (both out of country and familiarity comfort zones) and it was primarily because I felt I needed to separate and work a few things out in my mind without any kind of "churchy" type influence - be that laying on of guilt in some form, or must-be-believed-by-faith type messages such as "God told me to tell you such and such...". In the last congregation I attended I felt spiritually manipulated rather than enlightened and so I made a decision to separate myself.

Thank you for sharing that....

zecryphon_nomdiv

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

I'd have to see the whole post for context, but if I had to guess, I would say what that person means is that there isn't any issue serious enough to leave the local church body over. I disagree with that mindset.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

This is not true. There are many reasons someone might leave a church.
They moved to another place.
The church was not of God.The church minister may have molested their child. There are countless reasons someone might leave a church.
But I could see a church blaming it on someone hating Christ, hoping no one else would leave.

Top Bottom