Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The upcoming solar eclipse may be exciting for us, but our four-legged friends could feel some anxiety as the sun shifts over the moon. An animal behaviorist explains how to help them deal with the rare celestial event.

Eclipses affect plants and animals by confusing their natural rhythms. The seemingly quick shift from day to night makes farm animals walk back to the barn and causes birds to stop chirping. Extreme temperature drops of about 10 degrees can happen, as well, which also signals a change to night.

But it’s not just wildlife that will feel off-kilter during the event. Cats and dogs will also experience some strange feelings, and they may showcase the same type of nervousness they would during a thunderstorm. Others may simply curl up and go to sleep.

Read more

Never thought about how this would affect pets. My dogs are petrified of thunder & fireworks. Will be interesting to see their reaction.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was just reading about this earlier this morning and wanted to text my daughter to let her know, but it was way too early to do that.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I saw a solar eclipse (at least I got to see it from the wrong side of a lot of clouds), and it was weird to hear birds fall silent so suddenly. I was on a boat so no walking animals to observe. I gather a lot of bugs that come out late in the afternoon came out ahead of time and promptly went away again when the sun emerged.

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The total darkness is only around 4.5 minutes. I'll be honest, I don't think my dogs would notice. We get bad afternoon storms in the rainy season and the darkness does not bother them unless it is accompanied by lightning and thunder.

Top Bottom