Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
John 5:18(DRB) Hereupon therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he did not only break the sabbath but also said God was his Father, making himself equal to God.

The verse appears to be the narrator's comment. It could be read as an assessment of the Jew's thinking which may be right or wrong. But if it is right then the implication is that the Lord broke the sabbath as understood by the Jews. It would also imply that the Jews saw his statements in the previous verses as a claim to be equal to God. If this is right then the Jews wanted to kill Jesus because he was claiming to be God and was only a man according to their thinking.

The narrator's comment is expressing John's thinking since he is the narrator. Since this is the case then it may imply that John believed that Jesus was breaking the Jews' sabbath rules and that Jesus was claiming to be equal to God. Perhaps John was thinking that breaking the Jews rules about sabbath is not breaking God's commandment to observe the sabbath day. This would be consistent with some dialogues recorded elsewhere in the gospels.

Modern anti-trinitarians will have some interpretation to support their perspective.

A commentary observes :
The more to kill him - The answer of Jesus was suited greatly to irritate them. He did not deny what he had done, but he “added” to that what he well knew would highly offend them. That he should claim the right of dispensing with the law, and affirm that, in regard to its observance, he was in the same condition with God, was eminently suited to enrage them, and he doubtless knew that it might endanger his life. We may learn from his answer:

1. That we are not to keep back truth because it may endanger us.

2. That we are not to keep back truth because it will irritate and enrage sinners. The fault is not in the “truth,” but in the “sinner.”

3. That when any one portion of truth enrages hypocrites, they will be enraged the more they hear.

Had broken the sabbath - They supposed he had broken it.

Making himself equal with God - This shows that, in the view of the Jews, the name Son of God, or that calling God his Father, implied equality with God. The Jews were the best interpreters of their own language, and as Jesus did not deny the correctness of their interpretations, it follows that he meant to be so understood. See Joh 10:29-38. The interpretation of the Jews was a very natural and just one. He not only said that God was his Father, but he said that he had the same right to work on the Sabbath that God had; that by the same authority, and in the same manner, he could dispense with the obligation of the day. They had now two pretences for seeking to kill him - one for making himself equal with God, which they considered blasphemy, and the other for violating the Sabbath. For each of these the law denounced death, Num 15:35; Lev 24:11-14.

Another commentary remarks: 18. As St Augustine acutely remarked: The Jews understood what the Arians did not understand. The Arians denied the equality of the Son with the Father, which those blind Jews, those murderers of Christ understood from the words of Christ himself.

Last edited:

Lanman87

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think it is important to note that Jesus didn't actually break the Sabbath Law. He broke the Jews Sabbath traditions and teachings that had sprang up over the centuries about how to best keep the Mosaic Law. The Jews had instituted all kinds of "rules" that went way beyond the Mosaic law.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Jesus didn't actually break the Sabbath Law.
This may be so but it would need to be properly investigated. As is noted earlier in the chapter in Jesus's own words the Father breaks sabbath.

John 5:17b "My Father worketh until now; and I work."

RAPTURE2027

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
JOHN 14:5 Jesus is asking Got the Father to Re-Glorify Jesus
like he was with the Father before the World Existed.
So, it says that God the Father gave the Sabbath Day,
which according to Exodus 16::23 that the day begins and ends at Dawn
and as a rest day for man so that, man will consider the blessings he has
received from the Father.

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John 5:18 . . For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not
only was he breaking the sabbath, but he was even calling God his own
Father, making himself equal with God.

All the Jews' messianic kings are sons of God, beginning with David (Ps
89:20-27) then Solomon (2Sam 7:11-16) and finally Jesus (Luke 1:31-32)
_

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
John 5:18 . . For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not
only was he breaking the sabbath, but he was even calling God his own
Father, making himself equal with God.

All the Jews' messianic kings are sons of God, beginning with David (Ps
89:20-27) then Solomon (2Sam 7:11-16) and finally Jesus (Luke 1:31-32)
_
The Jews knew their language very well. They knew and so did John the gospel writer that Jesus' words were making himself equal with God.

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Jews knew their language very well. They knew and so did John the gospel
writer that Jesus' words were making himself equal with God.

One's own native tongue can be an effective barrier to communication.

For example: Nicodemus hadn't a clue what Jesus was talking about in John 3:3
until Jesus took the time to clarify it for him. Nico was fortunate because much of
the time Jesus left the Jews with wrong impressions-- confused and bewildered by
his words.

I'm glad Jesus dealt with his countrymen that way because it tells me I'm under no
obligation to make sure people understand me when I discuss the Bible with them;
especially when they're uncivil. (Matt 7:6).
_

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

One's own native tongue can be an effective barrier to communication.

For example: Nicodemus hadn't a clue what Jesus was talking about in John 3:3
until Jesus took the time to clarify it for him. Nico was fortunate because much of
the time Jesus left the Jews with wrong impressions-- confused and bewildered by
his words.

I'm glad Jesus dealt with his countrymen that way because it tells me I'm under no
obligation to make sure people understand me when I discuss the Bible with them;
especially when they're uncivil. (Matt 7:6).
_

Those Jews weren't as open as Nicodemus was, they had their answer regardless of what Jesus said to them. There are Jews today that once they are corrected they just stuff like "Im a Jew and we Jews know when Messiah arrives" or "Jesus said 'my God why have you forsaken me' so you see, God abandoned him because he was a liar"...

Anyway the narrator was telling us what the charges against Jesus were according to the Jews.

Top Bottom