Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What's your experience with/of Jehovah's witnesses?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Very little as I dont interact with them

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

They used to go door to door at my former neighborhood (so did the Baptists and mormons) to preach and invite people to their church. I always invited everyone who came to my door to first attend my church and then I'd go to theirs ;) No one ever took me up on the offer.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
They used to go door to door at my former neighborhood (so did the Baptists and mormons) to preach and invite people to their church. I always invited everyone who came to my door to first attend my church and then I'd go to theirs ;) No one ever took me up on the offer.

I would not promise to go to a meeting in the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. I am rather sure that Jehovah's Witnesses are forbidden to attend worship in a Catholic Church building.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is a shame.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I would not promise to go to a meeting in the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. I am rather sure that Jehovah's Witnesses are forbidden to attend worship in a Catholic Church building.

I wouldn't participate or pray. I would merely be an observer.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Other than when they used to come door-to-door, very little. A few years ago I had a friend who had a Doctor of Theology degree and he used to love it when the JWs came calling. He'd invite them in and make them a hot drink, but he'd make it extra hot so they couldn't drink it right away. Of course having accepted the drink it would have been rude if they had left without drinking it, so he had a bit of extra time to explain things like why their translation of Scripture was an inaccurate rendering of the Greek and Hebrew (needless to say he was pretty much fluent in Greek and Hebrew, along with a few other languages for good measure). Sadly he couldn't do it very many times before they got wise and stopped visiting him.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Only meet them on forums. Those are nice.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Other than when they used to come door-to-door, very little. A few years ago I had a friend who had a Doctor of Theology degree and he used to love it when the JWs came calling. He'd invite them in and make them a hot drink, but he'd make it extra hot so they couldn't drink it right away. Of course having accepted the drink it would have been rude if they had left without drinking it, so he had a bit of extra time to explain things like why their translation of Scripture was an inaccurate rendering of the Greek and Hebrew (needless to say he was pretty much fluent in Greek and Hebrew, along with a few other languages for good measure). Sadly he couldn't do it very many times before they got wise and stopped visiting him.

LOL My former pastor used to get so excited when people came to his door! His wife, if she answered it first, would put on a big smile because she knew her husband would have a wonderful time preaching the Gospel of Jesus as Savior and the forgiveness of sins to those who have changed what the bible proclaims.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
LOL My former pastor used to get so excited when people came to his door! His wife, if she answered it first, would put on a big smile because she knew her husband would have a wonderful time preaching the Gospel of Jesus as Savior and the forgiveness of sins to those who have changed what the bible proclaims.

The elder who used to come visit me and leave books and things for me has stopped visiting. At his last visit with two friends we chatted about baptism. It was not the subject he chose. I was a tad naughty and maneuvered the topic to baptism because at the time I was writing replies in CH on the topic. I said that baptism saves he - naturally enough - objected so I showed him a number of verses that said baptism saves either directly or by implication. He and his two friends said they would study the matter and return. They have not returned. After that visit the only contact was with two other JW chaps, one Australian the other an elderly Italian who came together to give me an invitation to their Easter-like celebration of the Lord's evening meal. During their visit the Italian asked what religion I was "Catholic" I replied and he responded "I used to be one of those" so I said "Well, I am a Catholic and intend to remain one" and the visit ended with me politely giving the invitation back to them saying "Perhaps you best keep this and give it to somebody who may be interested in attending because I shall not be coming".

Mostly the JWs who visit are polite. Some are kind. Only a few are slightly aggressive.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The elder who used to come visit me and leave books and things for me has stopped visiting. At his last visit with two friends we chatted about baptism. It was not the subject he chose. I was a tad naughty and maneuvered the topic to baptism because at the time I was writing replies in CH on the topic. I said that baptism saves he - naturally enough - objected so I showed him a number of verses that said baptism saves either directly or by implication. He and his two friends said they would study the matter and return. They have not returned. After that visit the only contact was with two other JW chaps, one Australian the other an elderly Italian who came together to give me an invitation to their Easter-like celebration of the Lord's evening meal. During their visit the Italian asked what religion I was "Catholic" I replied and he responded "I used to be one of those" so I said "Well, I am a Catholic and intend to remain one" and the visit ended with me politely giving the invitation back to them saying "Perhaps you best keep this and give it to somebody who may be interested in attending because I shall not be coming".

Mostly the JWs who visit are polite. Some are kind. Only a few are slightly aggressive.

Yes, the JWs and the Mormons are extremely polite. It's the Baptists who get overly aggressive about demanding you say the Sinner's Prayer right there in front of them or you're going to hell. :rolleyes::boggled::crazy:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes, the JWs and the Mormons are extremely polite. It's the Baptists who get overly aggressive about demanding you say the Sinner's Prayer right there in front of them or you're going to hell. :rolleyes::boggled::crazy:

That's because they reckon that YOU need a personal relationship with Jesus that THEY can see.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's true. Why demand a sinner's prayer of somebody you do not really know if it is not so that YOU can SEE that they DID what YOU want them to DO?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

US Baptists must be very different from UK Baptists.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

I suspect that USA folk are very different from UK folk.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's true. Why demand a sinner's prayer of somebody you do not really know if it is not so that YOU can SEE that they DID what YOU want them to DO?

Lol my ex does that sometimes too when a catholic visits. Have you said the sinner's prayer? Just to be sure you should say it again. Lol and those people have been saved for decades and I'm like oh nooooo don't do that.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Lol my ex does that sometimes too when a catholic visits. Have you said the sinner's prayer? Just to be sure you should say it again. Lol and those people have been saved for decades and I'm like oh nooooo don't do that.

As if repeating a prayer will "save" anybody.

It's all part of the traditions of men that so many evangelicals complain about.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think the Baptists in the Midwest of the US might be very different from other parts of the country!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As if repeating a prayer will "save" anybody.

It's all part of the traditions of men that so many evangelicals complain about.

Right! It's not a pray that will save but the Savior.

Top Bottom