"I'm the worst person in the world and everything is my fault" ?

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Extract from the writings of Elder Ephraim of Arizona: "Therefore, be humble, my child. If you want the demons who oppress you to be humbled, throw yourself beneath all and say: «I'm the worst person in the world and everything is my fault»."

Do you think that going through life with this attitude is beneficial to one's well-being? Wouldn't constant guilt and self-blaming lead to some type of mental health problems?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Didn't Paul say something about him being the worst sinner? Maybe I'm not remembering the verse right.

I think there needs to be a proper distinction between Law and Gospel and that's where a good pastor and church come in. If a church has too much Law, then you're going to feel like you're the worst always.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
“If you are a preacher of mercy, do not preach an imaginary but the true mercy. If the mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin. God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong (or “Sin boldly”), but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world. We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides. We, however, says Peter (2 Peter 3:13) are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will reign. It suffices that through God’s glory we have recognized the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world. No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day. Do you think such an exalted Lamb paid merely a small price with a meager sacrifice for our sins? Pray hard for you are quite a sinner.” - Martin Luther​

Yes, our sins are big, but CHRIST’s Mercy is BIGGER!

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes
Extract from the writings of Elder Ephraim of Arizona: "Therefore, be humble, my child. If you want the demons who oppress you to be humbled, throw yourself beneath all and say: «I'm the worst person in the world and everything is my fault»."

Do you think that going through life with this attitude is beneficial to one's well-being? Wouldn't constant guilt and self-blaming lead to some type of mental health problems?
Yep! That's definitely a fox crept into the hen house!

Top Bottom