How is Pakistan Gender Package Relief for US?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Seems like a good thing to me. $10 million is trivial compared to the billions wasted in providing COVID relief to millionaires.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Seems like a good thing to me. $10 million is trivial compared to the billions wasted in providing COVID relief to millionaires.

The point of the stimulus bill was to help the United States people survive the effects of covid. How does that exactly do this? It doesn't. It's called "pork".

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Amazing.... disgusting....

I agree. Our politicians no longer work for the people. This should have been 2 simple bills...one for the people and one for businesses. Now it's loaded with things that have nothing to do with Covid or our economic recovery. We need to drain the swamp.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sad how politicians have turned pigs into such a terrible thing....

Yeah, the poor swine did nothing to deserve the comparison.

It's truly remarkable how both sides blame the other for a lack of progress, then we end up with a 5000+ page document. I'm not sure how it can possibly take 5000 pages to hand out $600 per person but I guess that's politics. Perhaps it's just another one of those poison pill bills that has to be passed so people can find out what's in it. The last one with that moniker turned out really well.... </sarcasm>

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah, the poor swine did nothing to deserve the comparison.

It's truly remarkable how both sides blame the other for a lack of progress, then we end up with a 5000+ page document. I'm not sure how it can possibly take 5000 pages to hand out $600 per person but I guess that's politics. Perhaps it's just another one of those poison pill bills that has to be passed so people can find out what's in it. The last one with that moniker turned out really well.... </sarcasm>

Interestingly, the bill hands out $600 per person. There are something like 328,000,000 people in the US. $600 x 328,000,000 makes $196.8 billion. I wonder where the remaining $793.2 billion is going.

Put another way, a $900bn bill would be enough to give every man, woman and child almost $2,750. Our fearless "leaders" have spent six months arguing for this. Makes you proud, right?

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The one time 600 is just one provision. It also includes enhanced unemployment orovisions, which are needed because many people are out of a job much longer than the unemployment system was designed for, help for small business and schools, for vaccine distribution, etc. See What Is in the $900 Billion Second Stimulus Package?.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The one time 600 is just one provision. It also includes enhanced unemployment orovisions, which are needed because many people are out of a job much longer than the unemployment system was designed for, help for small business and schools, for vaccine distribution, etc. See What Is in the $900 Billion Second Stimulus Package?.

Yes, there are some other good things in there but what about the pork that is added? That's what is insulting and has nothing to do with Covid.

President Trump wants the bill to be revised and give Americans $2,000 each. So many people need that money. Not the Arts centers. Give the money to the people.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Apparently other normal funding was combined, because it is also expiring. There are definitely things I would have left out, but arts centers are finding it just as hard to survive as other non profits. Of the other random things, I like the prohibition of surprise billing, but 10 year prison terms for illegal streaming seems absurd, and shouldn’t be combined in a funding bill without separate debate. Other random things include restrictions on vaping products and continuing funding for the wall.

I’m sure you’re aware that this is how Congress always works. It’s particularly hard with a politically divided congress. You have to fight for each vote, and end up bribing people with pork.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Apparently other normal funding was combined, because it is also expiring. There are definitely things I would have left out, but arts centers are finding it just as hard to survive as other non profits. Of the other random things, I like the prohibition of surprise billing, but 10 year prison terms for illegal streaming seems absurd, and shouldn’t be combined in a funding bill without separate debate. Other random things include restrictions on vaping products and continuing funding for the wall.

I’m sure you’re aware that this is how Congress always works. It’s particularly hard with a politically divided congress. You have to fight for each vote, and end up bribing people with pork.

It's pretty sad that "give the people $600 each" turns into north of 5000 pages.

Perhaps it is time to overhaul the system completely.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
It's pretty sad that "give the people $600 each" turns into north of 5000 pages.

Perhaps it is time to overhaul the system completely.

It is well past time for reform. Pork should be outlawed in a bill like this. If Congress wants to donate $5 million to Joel Osteen then introduce and debate a bill to that effect.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It would be nice to use some of the relief fund for people who need corrective lenses as they are extremely expensive to maintain, I can't buy a pair of glasses or contacts if my exam was over a year ago, the exam is already expensive and it never changes, I can only afford the cheap pair of glasses that never last long and I have to buy the throw away co tact lenses so they stretch for several years.. Even with insurance you only buy one or the other and I need glasses at night to let me eyes breathe, I am blind as a bat, I can't see anything more than 6 inches away, remarkably I can see bumps in paper and bed mites in awesome detail up close lol.. but still, my uncle is legally blind and I've been working for him lately, he drives because I don't know the routes but we almost got in a deadly wreck the other day so I have to be his eyes for him, once one of ky contacts get torn (down to my final pair) I am completely handicapped and un useful

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Here’s more info. PolitiFact - Facebook posts wrongly say COVID-19 bill includes foreign aid, arts funding. It appears that there are separate bills, which people are combining.

It doesn't matter that they do this every year with the budget...what matters is this year it's a pandemic and people are suffering! Here's the thing, at this time during a pandemic there should only be concern about the people trying to make it through...not the other stuff like arts funding (I'm an artist so I can say stuff like that ;) ) or foreign aid. We should be concentrating on how to get the best help for the people and those billions of dollars could save us.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is well past time for reform. Pork should be outlawed in a bill like this. If Congress wants to donate $5 million to Joel Osteen then introduce and debate a bill to that effect.

Yep, perhaps what we need is one simple bill that says "give everyone $600", and a separate bill to give money to companies deemed worthy. Then there can be a totally different bill if there's an appetite to hand out cash for gender studies in Pakistan or whatever else it is.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The point of the stimulus bill was to help the United States people survive the effects of covid. How does that exactly do this? It doesn't. It's called "pork".
Like swine?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I agree. Our politicians no longer work for the people. This should have been 2 simple bills...one for the people and one for businesses. Now it's loaded with things that have nothing to do with Covid or our economic recovery. We need to drain the swamp.
The swine procrastinating the yearly budget funds by extorted a time limit.
It's a typical strategy used in other alleged democratic nations for decades..
Relief is never given to the lower caste system regarded as unessential.
Instead the politicians play on their donors concerns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom