How do we understand verses that say God has changed his mind?

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I know God is unchanging and knows all that will happen so how are the verses about his changing of mind to be understood?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Yes, God foreknows what will happen, yes God's NATURE is unchanging (He's not evolving) but it does seem God changes His plan, His will, His mind as the situation changes. Our prayers can do that (among other things).

While I'm supportive of thinking and asking questions and I think thinking is generally a good thing, IMO it's appropriate to beware of "over-thinking" things and of appointing self as the infallible/unaccountable "answerer" of the questions self asks (then requiring God agree with self). We are called to be "stewards of the MYSTERIES of God" - protecting, perserving MYSTERIES - not appointing self to fill in all the gaps, connect all the dots, supply all the "answers" to the questions self raises. There's a balance here.... and I think Christians oft time err on the side of egoism, individualism and over-thinking.

That's my half cent.

Pax Christi

- Josiah

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I know God is unchanging and knows all that will happen so how are the verses about his changing of mind to be understood?

God repents too. But people seem to disagree with God so they say he doesn't really repent like people do. But that seems like a little game to preserve a theology rather than deal truthfully with the verses.
Genesis 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Exodus 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.​

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Yes, God foreknows what will happen, yes God's NATURE is unchanging (He's not evolving) but it does seem God changes His plan, His will, His mind as the situation changes. Our prayers can do that (among other things).

While I'm supportive of thinking and asking questions and I think thinking is generally a good thing, IMO it's appropriate to beware of "over-thinking" things and of appointing self as the infallible/unaccountable "answerer" of the questions self asks (then requiring God agree with self). We are called to be "stewards of the MYSTERIES of God" - protecting, perserving MYSTERIES - not appointing self to fill in all the gaps, connect all the dots, supply all the "answers" to the questions self raises. There's a balance here.... and I think Christians oft time err on the side of egoism, individualism and over-thinking.

That's my half cent.

Pax Christi

- Josiah

I think you overthought that. ;)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oftentimes it is just God encouraging us to ask Him for what we want and then He shows us that He is merciful and compassionate.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Oftentimes it is just God encouraging us to ask Him for what we want and then He shows us that He is merciful and compassionate.

Amen!:amen: His mercy endures forever.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Does God "change his mind"?

If he repented - see the verses I previously quoted - does that imply a change of mind?

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
God repents too. But people seem to disagree with God so they say he doesn't really repent like people do. But that seems like a little game to preserve a theology rather than deal truthfully with the verses.
Genesis 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Exodus 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.​

The first verse you listed has me utterly confused because applied as repent in the way that people do it would mean he changed his mind and then acted on it but man still walks the earth today so God may have grieved but he did not change his mind about making man.

The second verse I will study and pray on, thank you.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

That certainly seems like the character of the Lord our God. Amen.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

What about ...

Numbers 23:19 “God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent.
Has He said, and will He not do?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

1 Samuel 15:29 “And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. For He is not a man, that He should relent.”

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
FYI:

H5162
ם nâcham, naw-kham'; a primitive root; properly, to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by implication, to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself):—comfort (self), ease (one's self), repent(-er,-ing, self).

Genesis 6:6-7 The LORD was sorry H5162 that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved [fn]in His heart. The LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the [fn]sky; for I am H5162 sorry H5162 that I have made them.”

Exodus 32:12-14 Why should the Egyptians speak, saying, ‘With evil intent He brought them out to kill them in the mountains and to destroy them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your burning anger and change H5162 Your mind H5162 about doing harm to Your people. Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants to whom You swore by Yourself, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your [fn]descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your [fn]descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’” So the LORD changed H5162 His mind H5162 about the harm which He said He would do to His people.

Nor a son of man, that He should repent; H5162
Has He said, and will He not do it?

Deuteronomy 32:36 “For the LORD will vindicate His people,
And will have H5162 compassion H5162 on His servants,
When He sees that their [fn]strength is gone,
And there is none remaining, bond or free.

Judges 2:18 When the LORD raised up judges for them, the LORD was with the judge and delivered them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge; for the LORD was moved H5162 to pity H5162 by their groaning because of those who oppressed and afflicted them.

I guess the Hebrew word is a little trickier than the English word "repent".

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What about ...

1 Samuel 15:29 “And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor relent. For He is not a man, that He should relent.”

God grants grace. God grants mercy. It is His character to do so. Jonah knew of God's Character, therefore he sought to prevent mercy from being extended to the city of Nineveh.
Jonah 3:8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.

9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Oh that made poor Jonah so angry at God because he knew God was merciful and that He would repent and spare the city. Here is how God responded to Jonah's complaint.
Jonah 4:10 Then said the Lord, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night:

11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

We have to remember that our Father in Heaven is indeed very merciful and full of grace.He loves the world and man that He created. History tells us that Nineveh survived another hundred years, until the generation that was spared died out.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
What about ...

Excellent passage, goes well with the two I posted. What do you think made God repent about creating man? He was grieved at heart it says. That makes it seem as if he was sad as well as repentant.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Excellent passage, goes well with the two I posted. What do you think made God repent about creating man? He was grieved at heart it says. That makes it seem as if he was sad as well as repentant.

Which bible version are you using? The quotes you provide in the NIV that we have here are saying Regretted instead of Repented. Repentance has a lot more involved than merely being sorrowful.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Which bible version are you using? The quotes you provide in the NIV that we have here are saying Regretted instead of Repented. Repentance has a lot more involved than merely being sorrowful.
I've asked this same question before.

(Wait ... Lämmtroll?) :=D:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've asked this same question before.

(Wait ... Lämmtroll?) :=D:

He's probably answered before but I forgot!

Yeah, because of our most recent troll I honored him with a troll of my own ;)

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
He's probably answered before but I forgot!

Yeah, because of our most recent troll I honored him with a troll of my own ;)
Yes, I think so too, but I think it varies. I use mostly KJV but others can be helpful for understanding, not just the text itself, but perhaps how others may view and hold to a different position or doctrine.

Actually, the latest accusation of being a troll was thrown at me by a popular member here, and I guess there's tacit agreement to it by everyone, since no one disagreed or came to my defense. Just tired of it all. God bless you, Lämm. Ttyl. :(

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

KJV I think. In Hebrew the vocabulary is very small compared to English so repent & regret are translating one word in Hebrew which usually is translated as repent.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think so too, but I think it varies. I use mostly KJV but others can be helpful for understanding, not just the text itself, but perhaps how others may view and hold to a different position or doctrine.
Actually, the latest accusation of being a troll was thrown at me by a popular member here, and I guess there's tacit agreement to it by everyone, since no one disagreed or came to my defense. Just tired of it all. God bless you, Lämm. Ttyl. :(

Brother, what on Earth are you talking about??:confused: Who levied that accusation? :mad: Let me at 'em. :rotfl: No, I know you handled that with your usual wit and charm.:lol:

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Brother, what on Earth are you talking about??:confused: Who levied that accusation? :mad: Let me at 'em. :rotfl: No, I know you handled that with your usual wit and charm.:lol:
Thanks, B, but I didn't really. Except for a post in the flat-earth thread, (which I'm sure will be ignored, like is getting apparent much of mine are, ... it's the christian thing to do by some, it seems) the usual wit and charm has been locked away in a trunk marked 'Snerfle's usual wit and charm' and may not be seen again.

No, sorry, my heart's been ripped out, stomped on, and kicked aside. And there's ppl here that delight in kicking a guy when he's obviously down, (which ain't funny but typical when it comes either from someone who takes a religious/legalistic approach to Jesus/salvation but preaches to others like he's an expert on everything including the bible, or else an admitted non-believer) but whoever wants to go there seems happy to oblige the devil, and I have every right to be angry over the treatment.

You've been nice as well as pretty straight-forward with me, Brighten04, and I appreciate it, and a few others have been as well, a couple really really nice, a few peasant but not too warm-hearted to say the least, and some just as cold nasty and unfriendly as can be. So if that's how they want it, so be it.

I've never wanted anything but fun, friendship, fellowship, and the kind of brotherly love that the bible talks about, and even commands, since coming here.
Some are just selectively cliqueish, and have been down-right mean, at least towards me. And then to have someone you love continually take sides with them, as if they could do no wrong, but take sides against you and always tell you what you do wrong, both in private and publically, even after claiming love requited, is a bit much for any one to take and just be a lovable snerfball about it. But I do appreciate your friendship, Brighten, thank you.

Top Bottom