Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He reflects the glory of God and bears the very stamp of his nature, upholding the universe by his word of power. (Heb 1:1-3a)

The Son mentioned here is Jesus Christ. He bears the stamp of God's nature and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. These are remarkable claims. Jesus, a man born of the virgin Mary, is God exercising God's power to sustain all of creation.

Haydock writes:
Hebrews 1:3
Who being the splendour, or brightness of his glory, not as beams or rays are derived from a lightsome body, but by a necessary and eternal communication of the same substance, and of the whole light; in which sense the council of Nice [Nicaea] understood the eternal Son of God to be light from light. This partly helps us to conceive the eternal generation of the Son from the Father, because the brightness is at the same time with the sun, though all comparisons fall short of this mystery.
--- We may here observe the two natures of Christ. As God, he is the Creator of all things; as man, he is constituted heir of the goods of God. Not content to possess the inheritance of his Father in his own person, he will have us as coheirs to share it also with him. May we so live as to hear one day that happy sentence: Come, ye blessed of my Father, &c.
--- And the figure of his substance.[4] In the Greek is the character of his substance; which might be translated, the express image. There are different ways by which a thing may be said to be a figure or image of another: here it is taken for such a representation of the substance of the Father, that though the Father and the Son be distinct persons, and the Son proceed from the Father, yet he is such a figure and image, as to have the same nature and substance with the Father, as the Catholic Church always believed and declared against the ancient heretics, and particularly against the Arians. Their words may be partly seen in Petavius, lib. ii. de Trin. chap. 11.; lib. iv. chap. 6.; lib. vi. chap. 6. being too prolix for these short notes. And this may be understood by the following words concerning the Son: and upholding or preserving all things by the word of his power. As he had said before, that all things were made by him, so all things are preserved by him, equally with the Father. See Col_1:16-17. See also ver. 10. of this chapter, and the annotations on Joh_1:3
--- Figure. This does not exclude the reality. So Christ’s body in the eucharist, and his mystical death in the mass, though called a figure, image, or representation of Christ’s visible body and sacrifice upon the cross, yet may be and is the self-same substance. (Bristow) ---Sitteth on the right hand of God, both here, in St. Mark, chap. xvi. and in the apostles’ creed, express what agrees with Christ, as our Redeemer, God made man by his incarnation, and who as man is made the head of his Church, the judge of the living and the dead; and so St. Stephen said, (Acts vii.) I see the heavens open, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God.

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Heb 1:3a …The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of
his being,

That verse depicts the Son as a characterization; viz: a tangible representation of
something and/or someone intangible.

The ramifications of that verse are as disturbing as they are astounding because it
means that whenever, wherever, and however God interacted with human life, He
did so via the Son rather than Himself in person.

"No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son-- who is in the bosom of
the Father --he has declared Him." (John 1:18)

"You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form." (John 5:37)

Compare that to this:

"Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of
Israel: and they saw the God of Israel: and there was under His feet as it were a
paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
And upon the nobles of the children of Israel He laid not His hand: also they saw
God, and did eat and drink." (Ex 24:9-11)

They did see God, yes, but not God in person, no: instead; they saw a
characterization of God, viz: a tangible representation of someone intangible.

Most of us have a pretty vague notion of what God might be like in person. And we
tend to think of Him as distant, aloof, regal, and all legal like a stuffed shirt judge in
the county courthouse. But we know He is not like that at all because His Son is not
like that.

"If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do
know him and have seen him. Philip said: Lord, show us the Father and that will be
enough for us. Jesus answered: Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been
among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How
can you say: Show us the Father?" (John 14:7-9)

A living characterization of the Father had been right under Philip's nose all along
for just about three years and he didn't even know it. But I really should cut Philip
some slack because the rest of us really have no better perception of the Father on
our own than he did.

The shadow of a tree is something like Adam's likeness of God. On the ground, a
tree's shadow is little more than an irregular puddle of contrasts, just a patchy
smirch. But when we look up, oh! the tree comes alive with color and detail. We can
see how tall it is, the features of the bark, and the shape and texture of the leaves
and how they are arranged on the branches. And then we notice that the tree is an
ecosystem in itself; a habitat for insects and other creatures invisible in the tree's
shadow. The Son is like that. When we look at ourselves all we see is God's
shadow; but with the Son, we see God in detail.

Cont.
_

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Continued from post No.2

Heb 1:3b ...sustaining all things by his powerful word,

The Greek for "word" is rhema (hray'-mah) which is somewhat ambiguous, but one
of its meanings pertains to sayings; for example:

"As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without
watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the
sower and bread for the eater, so is My word that goes out from my mouth: It will
not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose
for which I sent it." (Isa 55:10-11)

In the beginning, the voice of God said: "Let there be light" and Voila! there was
light because His sayings aren't just noise, rather, they're dynamite, so to speak.

Now the thing is: those powerful words were initiated by the intangible Being who
dwells in an unapproachable light that no man has seen, nor can see: but they were
vocalized, and thus put to work doing their business, by His characterization--
known to us as The Son, and known to Jacob as The Angel (Gen 48:16) and to some
in Judaism as Metatron; a high-ranking celestial being in the Talmud.

Heb 1:3c ...After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right
hand of the Majesty in heaven.

That fulfilled Isaiah 53:5-6, and also his prediction that Messiah would be highly
exalted (Isa 52:13-15). Today, right now, one of the Jews' fellow men isn't
standing, nor bowing, nor groveling, but seated at God's right hand per Psalm
110:1 which says:

"Yahweh said unto my master: Seat yourself at my right hand, until I make your
enemies your footstool."
_

Last edited:
Top Bottom