Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
A Georgia county asked a federal appeals court on Tuesday to overturn a ruling that it illegally discriminated against a sheriff’s deputy by failing to pay for her gender-affirmation surgery.

But lawyers for Houston County Sgt. Anna Lange urged a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to reject the appeal. They said during a hearing in Atlanta that the U.S. Supreme Court has made it clear that denying Lange insurance coverage for the procedure is illegal sex discrimination.

Continue reading

IMO: No one should be required to pay for an elective surgery except the person wanting one. Otherwise it is taking medical coverage beyond the purpose of which it is intended.

What's your opinion on this?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
America is very crazy right now. I look at this stuff and it's so alien to my experience of it when I lived there.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think that any work place should be obligated to pay for anything like that.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It seems like just another reason why health insurance should be decoupled from employment.

It's easy to use a case like this to say that insurance (employers, or whatever else) shouldn't be required to pay for something like this. The eternal question is where to draw lines. Some would say that "gender affirmation" surgery is elective, although some would say it's about putting the person into a body that works for them.

Ultimately wherever a line is drawn to differentiate elective processes from necessary processes there will be disagreement, exceptions, special cases etc.

In the early days of the ACA there was a big stink about employers who didn't want to be forced to fund abortions via their employees' health insurance plans. While it's easy to argue the case based on something as controversial as who funds abortions it raises the same question of where lines are drawn. If it's OK for a Christian employer to refuse to fund abortions, what about a Jehovah's Witness who refuses to fund blood transfusion? To what extent should an employer be permitted to determine what medical procedures their staff are allowed to access?

Messy3

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
It doesn't matter what I think. We pay for it, but others who need too expensive treatment can go do a gofundme to go to America.

Top Bottom