Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I read these words in the NASV and looked up the transliterated words for this verse in Ephesians 1:18

I pray that the eyes of your heart [fn]may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

"may be enlightened" photizo- to give light, to enlighten, to give understanding to
"the hope"- elpis- expectation of good, hope, joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation
"calling" Klesis- a calling, invitation of the divine invitation to embrace the salvation of God
"Riches"- ploutos- riches, wealth, fulness, abundance
"inheritance" kleronomia- an inhertiance, what is given to one as a possession
"I pray that the eyes" - ophthalmos- the eyes of the mind, the faculty of knowing
"will know" oida- to know of anything, get knowledge of, understand and perceive
"glory" can mean judgment, opinion but also brightness, majesty, most exalted state the word is doxa

So, with these definitions in mind I rewrote the verse to say
I pray that your faculties for knowing truth will be given understanding so that you may understand and perceive what is the confident expectation of your salvation and the invitation from God, what is the fulness and abundance of the glory of HIs inhertiance in the saints.

I wonder how many of us are walking around in the dark about the true inheritance for the saints and living in that joyful expectation of what we will one day see fully?

Last edited:

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I read these words in the NASV and looked up the transliterated words for this verse in Ephesians 1:18

I pray that the eyes of your heart [fn]may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

"may be enlightened" photizo- to give light, to enlighten, to give understanding to
"the hope"- elpis- expectation of good, hope, joyful and confident expectation of eternal salvation
"calling" Klesis- a calling, invitation of the divine invitation to embrace the salvation of God
"I pray that the eyes" - ophthalmos- the eyes of the mind, the faculty of knowing
"will know" oida- to know of anything, get knowledge of, understand and perceive
"glory" can mean judgment, opinion but also brightness, majesty, most exalted state the word is doxa

I pray that your faculties for knowing truth will be given understanding so that you may understand and perceive what is the confident expectation of your salvation and the invitation from God, what is the fulness and abundance of the glory of HIs inhertiance in the saints.

I wonder how many of us are walking around in the dark about the true inheritance for the saints and living in that joyful expectation of what we will one day see fully?

Nice job of enquiry into that text, js...

We all are in the dark, some way more than others...

πεφωτισμένους τοὺς ὀφθαλμοὺς τῆς καρδίας ὑμῶν,
pephostismenous tous ophthalmous ths kardias umwn
having been enlightened the eyes of the heart of you

εἰς τὸ εἰδέναι ὑμᾶς
eis to eidenai umas
unto you to perceive

τίς ἐστιν ἡ ἐλπὶς τῆς κλήσεως αὐτοῦ
Tis estin h elpis ths klhsews autou kai
What is the Hope of the Call of Him and

τίς ὁ πλοῦτος τῆς δόξης τῆς κληρονομίας αὐτοῦ ἐν τοῖς ἁγίοις,
Tis o ploutos ths doxhs ths klhronomias autou en tois agiois
What the fulness of the Glory of the inheritance of him in His Holy Ones

So putting that wooden literality into more presentable literal English:

The eyes of your heart having been enlightened
unto your perceiving in His Holy Ones
What is the Hope of his Calling
What the Fullness of His Glory

The point being that with this God Given Enlightenment of the noetic eyes of one's heart,
one will perceive directly in the Holy Ones of God, the Hope of His Calling and the Fullness of His Glory.

So that he is not so much blessing them to receive understanding as he is instead describing to them what they are seeing after having been enlightened... The blessing was given in the prior text, Eph 2:17 - 18 is describing what happens AFTER the enlightenment blessed to them in 17... 'Tis but a small quibble, but gains importance as one steps the Path of Salvation, whether before or after the event of that photismo (enlightenment)... It is easy to miss Saints as ordinary folks, which they are, mind you... But not so AFTER enlightenment, for in them, you are then perceiving directly, without having to figure it out mentally, the Hope and its Fulness...

The importance is this, that without this Radiance of Love emanating from the Holy Ones of God on this earth, the Faith will not catch fire from them in their efforts to evangellize the world... In Orthodoxy, being Baptized into Christ, we say from within Him: "In THY Light shall we see LIGHT..." And we understand that Light to be Noetic Perception, and not a thought process drawing a conclusion for our human understanding...

The Illumination of the Nous comes with purification of the heart, you see...
It does not come, normally, from reading and praying about what one has read...

Arsenios

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Saint Jerome went with something like this (in English translation from his Latin)
Ephesians 1:18-21 May the eyes of your heart be illuminated, so that you may know what is the hope of his calling, and the wealth of the glory of his inheritance with the saints, 19 and the preeminent magnitude of his virtue toward us, toward we who believe in accord with the work of his powerful virtue, 20 which he wrought in Christ, raising him from the dead and establishing him at his right hand in the heavens, 21 above every principality and power and virtue and dominion, and above every name that is given, not only in this age, but even in the future age.

Top Bottom