Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you think drug addiction is a disease, or just a choice?

Messy3

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
At first it is a choice, but maybe a forced choice at your weakest. Once addicted it is a choice to get help, but it took me ages to get rid of nicotin and thank God pot made me throw up, so I never got addicted to it, but I was addicted to benzo's and normally that it also not fun to get rid of, but I quit at once and God helped me. Way easier though than heroin I think.
By the way it can also be someone else's choice, like with a pregnant mom and a kid.

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you think drug addiction is a disease, or just a choice?

I'm not entirely convinced that it's a disease but it's hard to see how addiction is a choice - it's a consequence of a choice or a succession of choices. Whatever someone is addicted to, presumably they freely chose to start using it even if their body now has a physiological need to continue using it.

I can see that there could be exceptions if a pregnant woman is using something that results in the unborn developing an addiction before birth because they are so used to getting their regular hits of it - the child never made the choice.

Top Bottom