Does Free Will make God out to be a Bully?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Free will it seems turns God into a bully who makes people "say uncle" or do whatever their brand of religion tells them to do to save themselves. I.e., make decisions to believe, use sacraments, etc., or He will torture them forever.

It seems that it also makes God out to be a character who bribes people with rewards if they "say uncle" or do whatever their church tells them to do. Isn't this salvation by works and has nothing to do with the grace of God in salvation? That is grace as an unearned gift for the self-despaired? Grace instead saves a person at a time when they can only choose sin. But the Holy Spirit instead enters their hearts and bears witness with their spirit. Causing them to believe and hate sin. And to love holiness.

As Luther said, we come to our lowest ebb, knowing that we are helplessly lost with nothing we can do to save ourselves. And at that point, we look beyond ourselves to God for salvation.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
I highly recommend Luther's Book The Bondage of the Will to anyone who wants to settle the issue once and for all. I used some of his antidotes on a Jehovah's Witness Elder one day. He said he would talk to some of his people and bring them back with him. They never showed.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Free will it seems turns God into a bully who makes people "say uncle" or do whatever their brand of religion tells them to do to save themselves. I.e., make decisions to believe, use sacraments, etc., or He will torture them forever.

It seems that it also makes God out to be a character who bribes people with rewards if they "say uncle" or do whatever their church tells them to do. Isn't this salvation by works and has nothing to do with the grace of God in salvation? That is grace as an unearned gift for the self-despaired? Grace instead saves a person at a time when they can only choose sin. But the Holy Spirit instead enters their hearts and bears witness with their spirit. Causing them to believe and hate sin. And to love holiness.
Apparently, that is how it "seems"-- to you.

So what? It doesn't answer the question you yourself put to the forum ("DOES Free Will make God out to be a bully?")

The answer is, of course, "no." The Almighty, who deigned to become one of his own creatures in order to effect a reconciliation between Mortals and Himself, does not in any way resemble a bully (!). 😒

Last edited:

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Apparently, that is how it "seems"-- to you.

So what? It doesn't answer the question you yourself put to the forum ("DOES Free Will make God out to be a bully?")

The answer is, of course, "no." The Almighty, who deigned to become one of his own creatures in order to effect a reconciliation between Mortals and Himself, does not in any way resemble a bully (!). 😒
Only if they "say uncle".....

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
How does acknowledging our need for God or belief in Christ amount to saying uncle??
You must "say uncle" in principle to save yourself. Sacraments, decisions, whatever involves the will in an attempt to save yourself.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
I believe in free will and conditional salvation. Nonetheless, I don't think hell is eternal, but rather purifying. For instance, Jesus says "all will be salted with fire". No, this all doesn't make God to be a bully, but he is simply working in a situation where humans have free will and considering we all have jobs where people screw up, we can relate.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
I believe in free will and conditional salvation. Nonetheless, I don't think hell is eternal, but rather purifying. For instance, Jesus says "all will be salted with fire". No, this all doesn't make God to be a bully, but he is simply working in a situation where humans have free will and considering we all have jobs where people screw up, we can relate.
Christians exist in great tribulation as a rule. Hell is for the rest and lasts forever.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Christians exist in great tribulation as a rule. Hell is for the rest and lasts forever.
You have to look at the original language and also the context.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Unless they are from a weirdo sect that rejects the historic creeds.
You are critical of Catholics, yet they also believe in eternal hellfire an creeds.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
You are critical of Catholics, yet they also believe in eternal hellfire an creeds.
Why am I critical of the Catholics?

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
It destroys Christianity and replaces it with Pelagianism.

Top Bottom