Does answered prayer prove a theological point?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
When you experience a positive answer to your prayer does that give evidence that your prayer is acceptable to God with whatever theological implications that may have?

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I saw a lady on YouTube who prayed to her favorite Hindu deity to go to college.
Well; she got to go; so what are we supposed to tell her; that it was just a
coincidence when she's convinced it proves her deity is real?
_

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I saw a lady on YouTube who prayed to her favorite Hindu deity to go to college.
_
Satan has ears too. The uncle from my ex didn't believe in God and said: If there is a God give me a sign or something like that and that day he met a JW who told him about God and he became a JW. So sad. They do effort enough to get the harvest in and the church sleeps.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
_
Fair point.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Satan has ears too. The uncle from my ex didn't believe in God and said: If there is a God give me a sign or something like that and that day he met a JW who told him about God and he became a JW. So sad. They do effort enough to get the harvest in and the church sleeps.
If only he'd become a Catholic ;)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I pray, I pray in hopes that my prayer is in line with God's will. If it's answered, then His will has been made known to me.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A couple of things....

1. My Dad served in the Navy during Vietnam. He related a common military proverb: "There are no atheists in foxholes." And that when in danger, ALL in the military pray - REGARDLESS of their "theology." Does this mean that actually there are no atheists? Or does it mean this is a last resort, a kind of "maybe this will work?" I don't know. But I know LOTS of prayers go up as the Calculus test is being passed out in class.... as folks are being rolled into the surgery suite.... as soldiers land on a beach. I'm not too sure exactly WHAT this says about personal religion.

2. It's good to remember that God causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust alike. I find no evidence that God ONLY blesses those who believe or those who pray or those whose theology is correct. God's love is unconditional... Jesus came for everyone.... While I believe in the "power of prayer" I also believe that God's blessings are not limited to such; it does not surprise me that miracles of healing happen too for unbelievers and those who do not pray.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
_
What difference does it make that she believes in her Hindu deity? Of course she does, just as members of other religions think their deities are real and caring.

The main point here is that it's not unusual or rare for a person to go to college these days. It's not as though she prayed to be the mother of quadruplets...and then it actually happened.

What this means is that there is every reason to think that she could have been admitted to some college without divine intervention. At least that's the situation, based on the information you've provided us with.

So, in sum, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to concede anything to her own religion, that her deity likely is real and answered her prayer, etc. At the same time, her good news should not be used by anyone as a terrific opportunity for spreading the Gospel.

Top Bottom