Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
St. Patrick's Day, which Roman Catholics celebrate on March 17, takes place during the season of Lent, where Catholics are expected to abstain from meat on Fridays. St. Patrick of Ireland, a fifth-century bishop and patron saint of Ireland, is one of the most widely known and popularly celebrated saints in the world, especially in Ireland and the United States.

For the first time since 2006 the holiday falls on a Friday, and diocesan bishops in The United States may choose to give the faithful a "dispensation" from the obligation to avoid meat.

Continue reading

Will you be enjoying corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day? (Why or Why Not)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lutherans don't abstain from meat like Catholics and some other denoms do...so yes, we're having corned beef and cabbage at my house!

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't care much for cabbage the way most people cook it. I'll most likely raise a glass at my favorite brewpub. I don't really care for St Patrick's Day, not being Irish myself, but if there are promotions going on I'll check them out.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have the feeling that hardly anyone other than people who are Irish-Americans really, seriously, intend to commemorate the work and accomplishments of St. Patrick, or even know what they are. For most people, it's just another day for having fun with a special set of images and events.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I like the Onion's headline, describing how the Irish everywhere are preparing to celebrate Reinforcing of the Stereotypes.

prism

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
March 17, 1974 I did the altar call thing, and never looked back since, (although the Lord had been dealing with me for the previous 15 months).
note: I'm not that fond of corned beef...a steak will do. :)

Top Bottom