Did Jesus descend into Hell when he died on the cross?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Case closed! He did not descend into Hell, but to the captives who were waiting for release by the shed blood of Jesus our King.

The sinners in Noah’s day were in God’s favor?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Interesting that in Matthew 9 you have Moses and Elijah on the mount of transfiguration. It does not say but it seems to me, they left this temporary place to talk with Jesus on the mount. If they came from Heaven to the mount, wouldn't they have had glorified bodies? And the passage only says Jesus was changed, not Moses and Elijah.

2 And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

3 And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them.

4 And there appeared unto them Elias with Moses: and they were talking with Jesus.

“And it came to pass, when the Lord was about to take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal.”
-2 Kings 2:1

What part of “take up into Heaven” do you not understand?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
“Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.”
-2 Kings 2:11

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
“Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.”
-2 Kings 2:11
Yes he did (I had not looked up that verse), so my speculation in post 39 is way off the mark.

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
2Kings 2:11 . . And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that,
behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both
asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

The Hebrew word translated "heaven" is shamayim (shaw-mah'-yim); a very
common word throughout the Old Testament for sky, for example:

Gen 1:1 . . In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The heavens speak of all that can be seen when looking up with either the naked
eye or a telescope-- not only the clouds; but the stars too; for example:

Gen 15:5 . . And he brought him forth abroad, and said: Look now toward
heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them

I don't think it's safe to insist that Elijah's chariot flew all the way to God's abode.
It's more likely that the phenomenon was just Elijah's transportation to wherever it
is that Enoch was taken.

Gen 5:24 . . Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him
away.

* In my opinion, if there ever was someone in the Old Testament that God would've
liked to bring home to His abode, it was Abraham. He's one of the few people in the
Old Testament actually said to be one of God's buddies. (isa 41:8) But even as
favored a man as he was, Abe ended up in the same afterlife sphere as the rich
man of Luke 16:19-31.
_

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
From the Chalcedonian Creed.

We, then, following the holy Fathers, all with one consent, teach men to confess one and the same Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, the same perfect in Godhead and also perfect in manhood; truly God and truly man, of a reasonable soul and body; consubstantial with us according to the manhood; in all things like unto us, without sin; begotten before all ages of the Father according to the Godhead, and in these latter days, for us and for our salvation, born of the virgin Mary, the mother of God, according to the manhood; one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, to be acknowledged in two natures, inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably; the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved, and concurring in one Person and one Subsistence, not parted or divided into two persons, but one and the same Son, and only begotten, God the Word, the Lord Jesus Christ, as the prophets from the beginning have declared concerning him, and the Lord Jesus Christ himself taught us, and the Creed of the holy Fathers has handed down to us. [1]

So, as I understand the descent into hell clause. His human body underwent hell in the grave but without its destructive forces. But He along with the thief on the cross went to Paradise.

Another way to consider God's omnipresence is that He is always everywhere present, even in hell.

“If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: If I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.” Psalm 139:8 (KJV 1900)

SetFree

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Yes
I think the answer is simple per Scripture. It's just that many would rather follow some teaching by some man or an organization, etc.

1 Cor 15:42-50
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
KJV

At some point after Lord Jesus was raised from the dead, His flesh body was transfigured to the heavenly order type, i.e., a spiritual body, for that is the body type of the resurrection according to Apostle Paul.

1 Peter 3 reveals this also, if one simply pays attention...

1 Peter 3:18-20
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
KJV

And just to be sure we understand Peter was literally talking about how Lord Jesus went to Satan's pit prison after His resurrection, and preached The Gospel to the 'dead' that had died back to the days of Noah, Peter said the following in the next chapter...

1 Peter 4:5-6
5 Who shall give account to Him That is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

For, for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
KJV

That was prophecy from Isaiah 42:7 that Lord Jesus would literally do that, lead those out of that pit prison that believed on Jesus...

Isa 42:6-7
6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

7 To open the blind eyes,
to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
KJV

Top Bottom