Credobaptists - What about those with disabilities and baptism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Can you go read the posts by atpollard where he shares all the verses where baptism is a response to a person's confession of faith? Earlier in this thread he posted and quoted a slew of verses for just that purpose.

None of those verses state that "baptism is a response to that confession of faith". Now we know that people can respond by getting baptism but the verses I've posted on this forum numerous times show that God is at work in baptism.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
None of those verses state that "baptism is a response to that confession of faith". Now we know that people can respond by getting baptism but the verses I've posted on this forum numerous times show that God is at work in baptism.
All the verses show a person receiving faith and then responding by calling for baptism. Every time we read about baptism in Acts it is a response to faith. Baptism never is considered before faith exists. It would be easier for you to show where the apostles baptized people before faith was evident.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
All the verses show a person receiving faith and then responding by calling for baptism. Every time we read about baptism in Acts it is a response to faith. Baptism never is considered before faith exists. It would be easier for you to show where the apostles baptized people before faith was evident.

That has been done here more than once. You didn't listen then, either.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
That has been done here more than once. You didn't listen then, either.
I did. The verses used to make the case simply don't show anything. You infer something into the verse.
On the other hand, when we read about baptisms in the book of Acts, we always see a conversion prior to the baptism being provided. In the great commission we see Jesus tell his disciples to go, make disciples, baptizing...who?...baptizing...them (the disciples that have been made) in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
There is a pattern drawn within scripture where a confession of faith is followed by a ceremonial water baptism (ie, no means of grace takes place in the baptism).

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I did. The verses used to make the case simply don't show anything. .
They show that there was no mention of any profession of faith prior to the baptism. Isn't that what you claimed every relevant passage in Scripture includes?

MennoSota said:
All the verses show a person receiving faith and then responding by calling for baptism. Every time we read about baptism in Acts it is a response to faith. Baptism never is considered before faith exists.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
All the verses show a person receiving faith and then responding by calling for baptism. we always see a conversion prior to the baptism being provided.

This is FALSE . It is a falsehood that every example of baptism that happens to be recorded in the Bible shows the receiver had FIRST attained the age of X, FIRST wept buckets of tears in repentance, FIRST chose Jesus as their personal Savior and publicly proved that. In fact, it cannot be shown that ANY of those things were the case in all the examples of baptism that happen to be recorded in the Bible. You claim is flatly FALSE.

This has been shown to you over and over and over and over - for months now. You just don't care. You just keep verbatim parroting - on and on and on - the Anabaptist/Baptist invented spin on this ... and you won't quote Scripture on this because your claim is of course false and you can't find even one verse that states even one aspect of the new invented Baptism dogma of the Anabaptist/Baptist denomination. The Anabaptists/Baptists invented this dogma in 1523 out of thin air NOT because of ANY Scripture (which is why you can't quote any) but because of their radical synergism and their belief that those under the age of X cannot perform the works they need to do in order to be saved.

YOU mandate that all just ignore denominational spin (such as of the Anabaptist/Baptist) and go only by the words of Scripture. Okay. So, stop the perpetual, never-ending, verbatim parroting of the Anabaptist/Baptist spin on this.... which is ALL you've been doing on this topic since you came here....and give the reference for the following Scriptures:

"BUT thou canst NOT baptize any until they attaineth their Xth birthday!"
"BUT thou canst NOT baptize any until they first repenteth buckets of tears in repentance!"
"BUT thou canst NOT baptize any until they first chooseth Jesus as their personal savior and give public proof of such choice!"
"BUT baptism does nothing, accomplishes nothing and is largely a waste of time so Jesus and the Apostles shouldn't have given it so much emphasis!"

When you quote the verses that state what you do, then you'll finally do what you insist all do (but you). But you haven't even ATTEMPTED to do that because as you and all others know, NONE of the denominational stuff you have been parroting constantly is stated in Scripture. I know it. You know it. Everyone knows it. A radical synergist invented it all, out of thin air, in 1523.... NOT because of any verse of the Bible but because it is a necessary extension of the radical synergism of Anabaptist theology.

MennoSota, you have done nothing on this topic since coming to this site 6 months ago except parrot, verbatim, the new unique and invented denominational spin of the Anabaptist/Baptist denomination. YOU - my friend, are the one doing what you condemn and what you demand all disregard. Everyone knows this - but you.

MennoSota, you are the one who keeps insisting that we are mandated to disregard anything not specifically stated in the words found in the Bible.... yet you have not offered ONE SCRIPTURE that states the talking points you have been parroting. Not one. Haven't even attempted to do it. Everyone knows this - but you.

Many of us have TRIED to discuss the topic with you.... but you are SO powerfully locked into the synergistic mindset and SO powerfully locked into the new, invented denominational spin of the Anabaptist/Baptist denomination on this that it's absolutely impossible. And of course it is obvious (and you have admitted) that you often don't read what others post to you.

1. Infant baptism will never be acceptable to radical synergists. Thus you will constantly rant about what babies are unable to do. This new dogma was invented (altogether out of the blue) in the 16th Century by some very radical synergists NOT because of some verse about baptism but because it seemed undeniable to them that babies can't jump through the hoops we must jump through in order to be saved - and from that perspective, they're right..... I wasn't even awake or conscience or breathing when I was baptized, so I have to agree: IF everything is about MY adequately jumping through a bunch of hoops, OBVIOUSLY I could not have done so prior to my baptism. But while the argument focuses on baptism (because that IS the distinctive new invention of Anabaptists/Baptists) that's not really the issue, synergism is.

2. The Norm of Anabaptists/Baptists will NEVER be accepted by others
(or even themselves). They hold that what is normative for dogma is NOT the teachings of the Bible (the honest ones agree there is no stated prohibition) but the EXAMPLES found in the Bible. They are focused on one and only one issue: Where in the Bible is any baby baptized? Aren't all the examples of adults who FIRST came to faith, FIRST repented, FIRST consented and requested baptism? In other words, what the Bible TEACHES is irrelevant (they conceded their prohibition is nowhere taught) but what is EXAMPLED or ILLUSTRATED by the few cases of baptism that happen to be recorded in the NT. There are several problems with that, which sadly never get discussed because all focus on baptism rather than the rubric used in this argument.

A) It's false. And eventually, Anabaptists/Baptists will admit it. Actually, there are examples where we simply can't know what was the age or faith of the receiver. YES - no one can prove these 'househoods' included children or not-yet-believers but that's not the point. The point is it destroys their premise: that every case is of adults who FIRST repented, FIRST chose Jesus, FIRST consented. The whole apologetic is simply false. Some will admit this - finally admitting they are ASSUMING but then rebuke others for ASSUMING the opposite. They whole apologetic is thus declared to be wrong.

B) They THEMSELVES reject their OWN argument. They declare this point that we can only do what is consistently illustrated as done in the NT by posting on the internet, lol. And perhaps during a worship service where 90% of what they are doing is never once (much less consistently) illustrated as done in the NT. Since they so boldly reject their premise, why should others accept it?

3. The radical individualism of the Anabaptist/Baptist is problematic. In this UBER-individualistic milieu that has infected Christianity since the Enlightenment, the strong embrace of community and family in the Bible has been abandoned by many. Thus the argument, "The faith and actions of parents and the community can have NO relevance! It's Jesus and ME!" In terms of uber, radical individualism, this "rings" with a lot of people - but not with the Bible. I gave just one example: the last of the Ten Plagues of Egypt where the faith and obedience of PARENTS and the community is what literally saved the first-born child; God used the blood and the faith/obeidence of the PARENTS/COMMUNITY to save their child (who evidently didn't believe or do ANYTHING in this regard). I bring up that example - but there are SO many more. But this is a "hard sell" today because of the very, very radical embrace of individualism and the complete abandonment of any sense of community, family, church, chosen people of God. In truth, anti-paedobaptism just "fits" with this "It's Jesus and ME!" mentality SO entrenched in our socieity, as well as the synergism also SO popular today. Thus, your defense of this new invention.

- Josiah

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
They show that there was no mention of any profession of faith prior to the baptism. Isn't that what you claimed every relevant passage in Scripture includes?
They show that there is always a recognition of faith before the consideration of baptism. How does one recognize saving faith without confession of faith?
Again, I am not the one making claims from silence in regard to baptism. The Bible makes the case itself.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MennoSota said:

This is FALSE . It is false that every example of baptism that happens to be recorded in the Bible shows the receiver had FIRST attained the age of X, FIRST wept buckets of tears in repentance, FIRST chose Jesus as their personal Savior and publicly proved that. In fact, it cannot be shown that ANY of those things were the case in all the examples of baptism that happen to be recorded in the Bible. You claim is flatly FALSE.

This has been shown to you over and over and over and over - for months now. You just don't care. You just keep verbatim parroting - on and on and on - the Anabaptist/Baptist invented spin on this ... and you won't quote Scripture on this because your claim is of course false and you can't find even one verse that states even one aspect of the new invented Baptism dogma of the Anabaptist/Baptist denomination.

1. Infant baptism will never be acceptable to radical synergists. Thus you will constantly rant about what babies are unable to do. This new dogma was invented (altogether out of the blue) in the 16th Century by some very radical synergists NOT because of some verse about baptism but because it seemed undeniable to them that babies can't jump through the hoops we must jump through in order to be saved - and from that perspective, they're right..... I wasn't even awake or conscience or breathing when I was baptized, so I have to agree: IF everything is about MY adequately jumping through a bunch of hoops, OBVIOUSLY I could not have done so prior to my baptism. But while the argument focuses on baptism (because that IS the distinctive new invention of Anabaptists/Baptists) that's not really the issue, synergism is.

2. The Norm of Anabaptists/Baptists will NEVER be accepted by others (or even themselves). They hold that what is normative for dogma is NOT the teachings of the Bible (the honest ones agree there is no stated prohibition) but the EXAMPLES found in the Bible. They are focused on one and only one issue: Where in the Bible is any baby baptized? Aren't all the examples of adults who FIRST came to faith, FIRST repented, FIRST consented and requested baptism? In other words, what the Bible TEACHES is irrelevant (they conceded their prohibition is nowhere taught) but what is EXAMPLED or ILLUSTRATED by the few cases of baptism that happen to be recorded in the NT. There are several problems with that, among them....

A) It's false. And eventually, Anabaptists/Baptists will admit it. Actually, there are examples where we simply can't know what was the age or faith of the receiver. YES - no one can prove these 'househoods' included children or not-yet-believers but that's not the point. The point is it destroys their premise: that every case is of adults who FIRST repented, FIRST chose Jesus, FIRST consented. The whole apologetic is simply false. Some will admit this - finally admitting they are ASSUMING but then rebuke others for ASSUMING the opposite. They whole apologetic is thus declared to be wrong.

B) They THEMSELVES reject their OWN argument. They declare this point that we can only do what is consistently illustrated as done in the NT by posting on the internet, lol. And perhaps during a worship service where 90% of what they are doing is never once (much less consistently) illustrated as done in the NT. Since they so boldly reject their premise, why should others accept it?

3. The radical individualism of the Anabaptist/Baptist is problematic. In this UBER-individualistic milieu that has infected Christianity since the Enlightenment, the strong embrace of community and family in the Bible has been abandoned by many. Thus the argument, "The faith and actions of parents and the community can have NO relevance! It's Jesus and ME!" In terms of uber, radical individualism, this "rings" with a lot of people - but not with the Bible. I gave just one example: the last of the Ten Plagues of Egypt where the faith and obedience of PARENTS and the community is what literally saved the first-born child; God used the blood and the faith/obeidence of the PARENTS/COMMUNITY to save their child (who evidently didn't believe or do ANYTHING in this regard). I bring up that example - but there are SO many more. But this is a "hard sell" today because of the very, very radical embrace of individualism and the complete abandonment of any sense of community, family, church, chosen people of God. In truth, anti-paedobaptism just "fits" with this "It's Jesus and ME!" mentality SO entrenched in our socieity, as well as the synergism also SO popular today. Thus, your defense of this new invention.

They show that there is always a recognition of faith before the consideration of baptism

Wrong.

Both your claim and your rubric.

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Not to mention the shouting and bolded print in red

What's that about using red again?

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Let’s all be held to the same standard.
Where is the verse that states “God is at work in baptism“?

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is FALSE . It is a falsehood that every example of baptism that happens to be recorded in the Bible shows the receiver had FIRST attained the age of X, FIRST wept buckets of tears in repentance, FIRST chose Jesus as their personal Savior and publicly proved that. In fact, it cannot be shown that ANY of those things were the case in all the examples of baptism that happen to be recorded in the Bible. You claim is flatly FALSE.
Please present just one clear example of a baptism in scripture of either a baby or someone who did not yet repent or believe.
Not a majority of cases. Not a case that meets a long list of criteria. Just one clear case where baptism in the name of Jesus precedes either a statement of belief or of repentance (babies don’t talk, so any baby baptism would also count).

Credobaptists have been asked to prove EVERY case, it hardly seems unreasonable for me to request the paedobaptists to provide a single example.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

AH. You seem to work with a VERY different rubric than our friend, MennoSota....

I agree. There is no SPECIFIC verse that says "God uses baptism" (although there is that one, "Baptism now saves you" - the Anabaptists like to avoid that one, lol). There is no verse that specifically says, "Oh, and this includes children and smart people and those with blonde hair." But of course, there is no verse that states ANY of the numerous, new, invented dogmas of the Anabaptists/Baptists on this point. And their point about "but all the examples of baptisms found in the Bible are of those over the age of X, who first chose Jesus as their personal savior, and who specifically requested baptism" is wrong on SO many levels.

Many 0f us - here and in other threads - in posts and in various YouTubes, etc. - have given the thoughts of Christians on this. This view was universal from at least 63 AD until 1523 AD (as I think you yourself has admitted), and is still the view of the VAST majority of Christians today. We have shared thoughtfully and extensively (always ignored). You can find such in this thread and in others. There is no reason to restate it over again (unless you so request).

The Anabaptist/Baptist "spin" on this came, entirely out of the blue, in the 16th Century from a group a very radical synergists. You know this. And it came not because suddenly a verse was found that no one had noticed for 1500 years (as MennoSota would have us believe) but because the concepts of infant baptism held at the time by Orthodox, Catholic and Lutherans didn't jibe with their radical synergism (and to be much more synergistic than the Catholics at the time IS saying something, lol). It was simple: Babies can't do much, therefore they can't do what they have to do order to be saved. Thus, MennoSota's constant rant about what babies and can't do. And an apologetic soon arose among these - that we can't do what isn't consistently illustrated as done by examples that happen to be recorded in the NT (another spin MennoSota also uses repeatedly) - a silly and absurd concept even they reject (but use as defense anyway).

Now, CURIOUSLY (I find it shocking).... there did eventually arise Calvinists who rejected his "covenant" idea and bought into the Anabaptist individualism and dogma on this point - while trying to steer clear of the synergism (which is the entire reason for the new dogma). I've long known these "Reformed Baptists" exist, and had some long discussions with a couple at another website, but I still find it a very, very odd "marriage" that just doesn't theologically work. There are many points were a tiny group of Calvinists abandon Calvinism at one point or another - but this is the most curious to me. Be that as it is, this group has a different perspective (one that makes no sense to me), one that seems to buy into the weaker of the Anabaptist apologetics: We are to do exactly as we see illustrated in SOME of the examples we see in the Bible. To me, this is the most absurd of all the Anabaptists arguments (they make by posting on the internet, go figure, lol). It seems, this group says, "It SEEMS that MOST of the time, those Baptized were already believers old enough to prove that, had adequately and verbally repented of their sins, and who requested that baptism be given them." They admit it's not ALWAYS the case (yup, there are those "and their household" texts that Anabaptists are forced to admit exist) but they ASSUME everything about those cases. I find this a particularly weak argument - and wholly inadquate for overturning SO much Scripture and 1500 years of complete, universal Christian consensus, going back at least as far as St. Ignatius - a student of the Apostle John - who says he was baptized as a baby.

No 'side' has a "lock" on this vis-a-vis Scripture only. I realize and admit that. And I do think abuse and problems are possible on both sides. I just think the testimony of Scripture is STRONGLY on the side of permitting baptism of children (and blonde haired people), and that the "defense" of this invention of the Anabaptists in 1523 is absurdly weak - certainly insufficient to overturn all those Scriptures and 1500 years of absolute, universal consensus. This, IMO, is so often the case with the splitting that began to happen with the "radical protestants" - the baby got thrown out with the bathwater, when - with profoundly weak to non-existent arguments - sound and universal and biblical teachings got thrown out.

A blessed Holy Week to all...

- Josiah

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

1 Corinthians 6:11. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:

This is FALSE . It is false that every example of baptism that happens to be recorded in the Bible shows the receiver had FIRST attained the age of X, FIRST wept buckets of tears in repentance, FIRST chose Jesus as their personal Savior and publicly proved that. In fact, it cannot be shown that ANY of those things were the case in all the examples of baptism that happen to be recorded in the Bible. You claim is flatly FALSE.

This has been shown to you over and over and over and over - for months now. You just don't care. You just keep verbatim parroting - on and on and on - the Anabaptist/Baptist invented spin on this ... and you won't quote Scripture on this because your claim is of course false and you can't find even one verse that states even one aspect of the new invented Baptism dogma of the Anabaptist/Baptist denomination.

2. The Norm of Anabaptists/Baptists will NEVER be accepted by others (or even themselves). They hold that what is normative for dogma is NOT the teachings of the Bible (the honest ones agree there is no stated prohibition) but the EXAMPLES found in the Bible. They are focused on one and only one issue: Where in the Bible is any baby baptized? Aren't all the examples of adults who FIRST came to faith, FIRST repented, FIRST consented and requested baptism? In other words, what the Bible TEACHES is irrelevant (they conceded their prohibition is nowhere taught) but what is EXAMPLED or ILLUSTRATED by the few cases of baptism that happen to be recorded in the NT. There are several problems with that, among them....

Please present just one clear example of a baptism in scripture of either a baby or someone who did not yet repent or believe.

See post 393. Of all the Anabaptist/Baptists talking points on this, Reformed Baptists have chosen to found their new dogma on just the weakest and most absurd one.

Give me just one clear example in the NT ...

+ Someone with blonde hair being baptized in the Bible.
+ Any Gentile administering baptism.
+ Any baptisms done in a big tank behind a curtain back of the pulpit.
+ Any woman receiving communion.
+ Communion being celebrated just 4 times a year by passing around in pews to all a bowl of little cut up pieces of Weber's White Bread and little plastic cups of Welches' Grape Juice
+ Youth group and youth pastors
+ Posting on the internet, as you are doing
+ Anyone using our New Testament

A blessed Holy Week to all....

- Josiah

Last edited:

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 6:11. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
Smh...do you really think this passage is about water baptism?
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
[9]Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,
[10]or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.
[11]Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
See post 393. Of all the Anabaptist/Baptists talking points on this, Reformed Baptists have chosen to found their new dogma on just the weakest and most absurd one.

+ Communion being celebrated just 4 times a year by passing around in pews to all a bowl of little cut up pieces of Weber's White Bread and little plastic cups of Welches' Grape Juice

A blessed Holy Week to all....

- Josiah
I only asked for one example.

So there are absolutely NO examples of babies being baptized.
There are absolutely NO examples of adults being baptized before making a confession of faith.
There are absolutely NO examples of adults being baptized before repenting.

Wow, from how certain you painted the Paedobaptist case, I assumed there must be something. But ... nothing? I mean, wow!
No wonder people started to ask questions when they placed scripture over tradition.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
apples to oranges comparisons:

Does God command people with blonde hair to be baptized different than everyone was baptized in the Bible?
If so, then it would be appropriate to ask where the Bible commands a special baptism for people with blonde hair, and if not, then one would expect people with blonde hair to be baptized like all of the people in the Bible were commmanded to be baptized ... to repent and be baptized ... to become disciples and be baptized.

Gal 3:28

Are we commanded to baptize that way? If it is not a command, then no scripture supporting that command is required. The command in Acts 2 is to “repent and be baptized”.

Gal 3:28

Are we commanded to celebrate communion that way? If it is not a command, then no scripture supporting that command is required. The command is In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

Are these commanded either?

Is this commanded or forbidden?

Ok, you convinced my. I am converting to Messianic Judaism and using only the OT as Jesus and Paul did.
Now quit baptizing those covenant babies and get them circumcised! Oy, vey. (Gen 17:10-14)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Smh...do you really think this passage is about water baptism?
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
[9]Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,
[10]or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.
[11]Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Yes, we are cleansed through baptism. In 1 Corinthians Paul speaks of baptism in more than one spot...did you not notice that?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
apples to oranges comparisons

No. Your apologetic for this new out-of-the-blue invention of the radical synergists on Baptism is that you can't find any CLEAR cases where children are baptized in the Bible. That was the question you asked me, that's the issue MennoSota keeps making over and over and over and over.... so let's see if the rubric you are using is valid.

Give me just one clear example in the NT

You claim that we can't do something unless it is CLEARLY and OFTEN illustrated as having been done in the Bible. Okay. Let's see how that rubric and apologetic works for you.... let's see if it holds up.... let's see if even YOU accept your OWN foundational apologetic?

In my Bible, this does not read, "BUT thou canst NOT baptize any unless and until they hath celebrated their Xth birthday, hath wept buckets of tears in repentance, hath chosen Jesus as their personal savior, hath given adequate and public proof of such choosing, and hath requested to be baptized."

This is saying we are all one in Christ. I does NOT say, "But those under the magical age of X art NOT one in Christ and canst NOT be Abraham's offspring.

And does NOT give even one example of any woman receiving communion (does your church forbid them from Communion as it does children from Baptism?).... not one example of a gentile baptizing anyone.... not one example of a person with blonde hair being permitted or allowed anything.... communion being passed around as little cup up pieces of white bread and little plastic cups of grape juice.... baptism tank behind a curtain in the chapel.... youth groups.... powerpoint.... posting on the internet.

The command in Acts 2 is to “repent and be baptized”

Yup. "Kai" They go together. The word has NOTHING to do with chronological sequence, as you well know. NOTHING. There are Greek words for "then" or "after that" but those are NEVER used on relation to baptism, the word here is "kai" which simply connects things. It's pretty much the same in modern English. I got up this morning and went to the bathroom and made coffee. Yup - but it doesn't mandate I did them in that precise chronological order and if that was important or meant then I would have used a different word than 'and.

In my Bible, this does not read, "BUT thou canst NOT baptize any unless and until they hath celebrated their Xth birthday, THEN after that hath wept buckets of tears in repentance, THEN after that in time hath chosen Jesus as their personal savior, THEN after that in time hath given adequate and public proof of such choosing, and then after that is completed hath requested to be baptized."

Is this commanded or forbidden?

Neither. It cannot be shown in Scripture that we are commanded to baptize blonde haired persons OR are forbidden to. So, it would be baseless to invent a brand new dogma: "Thou canst NOT baptize blonde haired persons!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom