Yes

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I got the book I ordered last week called 'Christification: A Lutheran approach to theosis' by Jordan Cooper. I was at my daughter's house last weekend but a least I've started reading it a bit.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I got the book I ordered last week called 'Christification: A Lutheran approach to theosis' by Jordan Cooper. I was at my daughter's house last weekend but a least I've started reading it a bit.

Why would a sweet Lutheran like you want to do the theosis thing :p

According to The Wiki link that brother George cited Catholics oppose the energies theology - I am not so sure about that but I am not a 14th century chap. :)

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Why would a sweet Lutheran like you want to do the theosis thing :p

According to The Wiki link that brother George cited Catholics oppose the energies theology - I am not so sure about that but I am not a 14th century chap. :)
I saw in the article that the RC and EO differences weren't insurmountable but I've never heard the RC position before. In fact I had never heard it taught outside of Orthodoxy before until I found this book.

I experienced God's energies at an Antiochian parish when I was a catechumen there. When I mentioned it to the priest he just stated he'd heard it from others before but left it at that. Not sure if he has experienced it before himself. I've been tempted to email him to inquire further.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I saw in the article that the RC and EO differences weren't insurmountable but I've never heard the RC position before. In fact I had never heard it taught outside of Orthodoxy before until I found this book.

I experienced God's energies at an Antiochian parish when I was a catechumen there. When I mentioned it to the priest he just stated he'd heard it from others before but left it at that. Not sure if he has experienced it before himself. I've been tempted to email him to inquire further.

Catholics use different terminology, for example Catholics refer to The Beatific Vision rather that "theosis" and to communicable and incommunicable attributes of God rather than to energies. The Orthodox appear to have terms that reflect something a little like Buddhism and maybe their position in the East contributed to greater contact with Eastern religion and terminology. Also Catholics think of mysteries as things revealed by God that would not be known otherwise but I am not exactly sure what mysteries are in Orthodox vocabulary. Yet despite the vocabulary differences it is evident that Catholics and Orthodox Christians have a great deal in common.

Top Bottom