Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I've been studying on my own 1 Corinthians since March of this year. I go verse by verse and look at the original language. One thing that seems clear is that this church had an enormous amount of problems and division and immaturity. Yet, Paul still says early on in his letter some very positive things about who they are in Christ. He doesn't tell them they aren't saved even when there is enormous sin in the church. While his language is strong at times he isn't giving up on them. That gives me some hope because it seems that we live in the same type of environment in some respects today. I also took the Corinthian class on the bible project also which was really good.

I realize that many scholars believe there is a Corinthian letter that was lost also. Which may have been even more harsh in tone.

Yes, we may not have temples scattered all over town like they did in Corinth. I saw a picture of the ruins of the temple of Apollo and it said at one time there was 38 columns on the building. Now, only 7 are still standing. The temple of Aphrodite was on the mountain overlooking Corinth were it was said there was 1,000 temple prostitutes. I heard Charles Swindoll refer to Corinth as the equivalent of modern day Los Angeles.

It seems clear also that some in that church were very critical of Paul himself.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I've been studying on my own 1 Corinthians since March of this year. I go verse by verse and look at the original language. One thing that seems clear is that this church had an enormous amount of problems and division and immaturity. Yet, Paul still says early on in his letter some very positive things about who they are in Christ. He doesn't tell them they aren't saved even when there is enormous sin in the church. While his language is strong at times he isn't giving up on them. That gives me some hope because it seems that we live in the same type of environment in some respects today. I also took the Corinthian class on the bible project also which was really good.

I realize that many scholars believe there is a Corinthian letter that was lost also. Which may have been even more harsh in tone.

Yes, we may not have temples scattered all over town like they did in Corinth. I saw a picture of the ruins of the temple of Apollo and it said at one time there was 38 columns on the building. Now, only 7 are still standing. The temple of Aphrodite was on the mountain overlooking Corinth were it was said there was 1,000 temple prostitutes. I heard Charles Swindoll refer to Corinth as the equivalent of modern day Los Angeles.

It seems clear also that some in that church were very critical of Paul himself.

You bring up some great points!! I agree that Corinth had issues and Paul gave them the Law when they needed to hear it on some issues, and also when they needed comfort, he preached the Gospel. As for today's issues, yes, we have a lot of people becoming worldly instead of living with traditional values. Despite their sin, Jesus died for them too.

Top Bottom