Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Josiah said:

Nor does the LCMS

There are lay persons in the ELCA who hold to evolution and some who don't. Just like in the LCMS and probably every church. But it's not dogma in any Lutheran denomination known to me.

So, out of all the people I’ve talked to in my church, so far all are creationists and believe In a young earth. Would you say that I’m the only one there with these beliefs? Do you personally know of any member of the LCMS who believes in evolution and a young earth besides me?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I asked this in the other thread before I saw this one....

Why does it matter?

What do they all believe about Jesus? That should be your focus.

I know you said your OCD is probably the reason you can't let this go, and I think you're right. You keep losing focus on the important matters concerning Jesus and the cross. You're even willing to go to a church that doesn't believe baptism does anything because of your belief about the young/old earth and evolution.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Josiah said:

So, out of all the people I’ve talked to in my church, so far all are creationists and believe In a young earth. Would you say that I’m the only one there with these beliefs? Do you personally know of any member of the LCMS who believes in evolution and a young earth besides me?

1. As you have been informed - over and over, for many months - this issue is not doctrine in Lutheranism. It's adiaphora. I seem to remember you reported your own LCMS pastor told you this.

2. As you have been informed, if you ever are Confirmed in the LCMS and officially join an LCMS congregation, you will be asked if you agree with Luther's Small Catechism (what he wrote, not necesarily the "explanation" often added to it) And that says NOTHING about how old our planet is... and NOTHING about evolution (any form of such).

3. I don't deny that most LCMS members are probably "young earth" folks. Most are also white, but you don't need to be. Most are Republicans but you don't need to be. Most are American citizens but you don't need to be. Most like Bratwurst but you don't need to. And most are pro-life and against abortion (and the LCMS has been FAR more bold on that issue than the one that troubles you) but you don't need to be (we have some pro-choice people in my LCMS parish).

4. I invite you to READ Luther's Catechism (it's about 12 pages long) AND the Catholic Catechism (it's about 800 pages long). And see which you most agree with. If you are Confirmed and join and LCMS church, you will be asked if you agree with Luther's Small Catechism. If you are Confirmed and join a Catholic parish, you will be asked if you agree with the Catholic Catechism. Neither mentions the age of our planet, and neither even mentions evolution (the word never appearing in either).

I've read your posts on other topics. You sound pretty Lutheran to me!

Blessings on your Advent season...

Last edited:

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
1. As you have been informed - over and over, for many months - this issue is not doctrine in Lutheranism. It's adiaphora. I seem to remember you reported your own LCMS pastor told you this.

2. As you have been informed, if you ever are Confirmed in the LCMS and officially join an LCMS congregation, you will be asked if you agree with Luther's Small Catechism (what he wrote, not necesarily the "explanation" often added to it) And that says NOTHING about how old our planet is... and NOTHING about evolution (any form of such).

3. I don't deny that most LCMS members are probably "young earth" folks. Most are also white, but you don't need to be. Most are Republicans but you don't need to be. Most are American citizens but you don't need to be. Most like Bratwurst but you don't need to. And most are pro-life and against abortion (and the LCMS has been FAR more bold on that issue than the one that troubles you) but you don't need to be (we have some pro-choice people in my LCMS parish).

4. I invite you to READ Luther's Catechism (it's about 12 pages long) AND the Catholic Catechism (it's about 800 pages long). And see which you most agree with. If you are Confirmed and join and LCMS church, you will be asked if you agree with Luther's Small Catechism. If you are Confirmed and join a Catholic parish, you will be asked if you agree with the Catholic Catechism. Neither mentions the age of our planet, and neither even mentions evolution (the word never appearing in either).

I've read your posts on other topics. You sound pretty Lutheran to me!

Blessings on your Advent season...

Yes, I know all that, BUT (there’s always a but, isn’t there?) have you heard of anyone in the LCMS other than me who believes as I do?

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, I know all that, BUT (there’s always a but, isn’t there?) have you heard of anyone in the LCMS other than me who believes as I do?

Yes, I have.

Top Bottom