Commuting to work...what seems like a long time to you?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
My husband and I drive into work together and it can take anywhere from 35 to 55 minutes. It's a nice change for him since he used to drive to the train station, wait for a train, sit 45 minutes on the train and then walk a mile to get to work and same thing going home.

What seems like a long commute to you? Do you have a limit of how far you would travel for a job?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My husband and I drive into work together and it can take anywhere from 35 to 55 minutes. It's a nice change for him since he used to drive to the train station, wait for a train, sit 45 minutes on the train and then walk a mile to get to work and same thing going home.

What seems like a long commute to you? Do you have a limit of how far you would travel for a job?

15 minutes seems long, but 30 mins is fairly common.

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have 15 minutes drive and am still impatient to get there and come home after. I do not think that it is the distance but what you do with the time.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"Work" can be two different places: one is about 30 minutes (with good traffic), the other up to two hours. But I often work at home. I travel often, too - around the US and occasionally to Europe. Much of what I do is analysis - and I can "access" the main frame computer from my computer at home, so in terms of the computer, there's no advantage to physically being at the "office." I DO need to go there for frequent meetings and I DO make a lot of phone calls, but MOST of what I do can be done at my home on my time. My "employer" pays for my work computer, my phone, as well as my internet connection, making it possible to work from home. There can be entire days when I never leave my condo.... in my shorts (no shoes, no shirt), quite the geek. FORTUNATELY, my girlfriend keeps that from happening too often, lol.

My large desk is a mess.... my work computer is always running, with 3 screens on my desk. Plus I have my personal computer (with screen and keyboard) - usually running too (with CH often "up" though running in the background).

Nope, ain't here saying what I do (but it IS legal, lol).

Pax

- Josiah

Last edited:

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've had two jobs where my commute was an hour each way. It didn't bother me.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
When I lived in California I took the train to work and it took about 20 minutes. That is about how long I'd like to commute.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Anything over 45 minutes.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I used to travel a little over an hour each way. Did that for 12 years before I decided I'd had enough of it. The money was good.

Now I make a small fraction of what I used to make but the commute takes me about 10 minutes, and it only takes that long because I stop in the kitchen for coffee between the living room and the office.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
anything over an hour. It takes me 50 minutes one way now and that is pretty far, but worth it since it is a good company

Inkachu

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
As I've gotten older (and I'm not old, still in my 30's lol), I've found that I'm less willing to put up with stuff, including long commutes or sitting in traffic every day. I just recently transferred to a new job that is less than 5 minutes from home, and I absolutely love being so close! It would take a pretty tempting offer to entice me out of this job :) I commuted 20-30 minutes for over 10 years, and that was enough for me!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As I've gotten older (and I'm not old, still in my 30's lol), I've found that I'm less willing to put up with stuff, including long commutes or sitting in traffic every day. I just recently transferred to a new job that is less than 5 minutes from home, and I absolutely love being so close! It would take a pretty tempting offer to entice me out of this job :) I commuted 20-30 minutes for over 10 years, and that was enough for me!

I used to dream of a 20-30 minute commute, back in the days when door-to-desk was 60-75 minutes each way. The worst part was that the journey was so badly fragmented. Had it been a 5-minute walk to and from stations at either end with 60 minutes sitting on a train in the middle at least I could have done something with those two hours. But when it's a 10 minute walk, a 5 minute wait for the train, 20 minutes on what looks more like a cattle truck than a train, then 10-15 minutes transferring from train to Tube, then 5 minutes on an even worse cattle truck, then a 10 minute walk to the office at the other end (where any one of the train journeys could extend without warning), no part of that journey represents useable time in any meaningful way.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Winter weather is quickly approaching and I cringe at the thought of my 35-55 minute commute. We live in a hilly area with no shoulders on a lot of the roads and they don't put down ice but sand/gravel a lot of times. It's quite different from where I used to live where they constantly salted.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Winter weather is quickly approaching and I cringe at the thought of my 35-55 minute commute. We live in a hilly area with no shoulders on a lot of the roads and they don't put down ice but sand/gravel a lot of times. It's quite different from where I used to live where they constantly salted.

Salt isn't always a good thing, depending on prevailing temperatures. If the temperature is expected to be between about 0C and 0F (32F to 0F or 0C to -18C) then sometimes salt can make things worse. If the temperature is below about 20F or so you can expect ice to be pretty much frozen solid. Adding salt to it can then result in it becoming wet ice, which has less traction. Once you go much below about 0F adding salt makes no difference at all.

Salt can also wreak havoc on vehicle bodywork, and of course in the depths of winter you can't even wash it off easily.

Grit can provide extra grip in a lot of conditions and doesn't rust cars, although it can ding paintwork. It also creates a potential hazard on a dry bend because it reduces traction. I think in the UK a few years ago there was a lawsuit because someone skidded out of control on a bend that had been gritted, and they claimed that their speed would have perfectly safe had the grit not been there.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I used to commute alone 25 minutes. During that time, I would turn up the praise music and belt out some worship songs, pray a little. I love it! But it was hard on the finances. Gas is really expensive here. Now I commute about 7-10 minutes, depending on how I hit the lights and traffic. I like it because it's enough time for a couple of good worship songs and a quick prayer. I like this even better because I still get the worship without the expense. In January, our whole team will be commuting an hour each way, so I will not be able to use the time for worship. Additionally, we are expecting lousy weather, and there are frequent accidents between here and there, which can hold up traffic for hours. This is a long commute and I am so not looking forward to this...we will be alternating our work in town and out of town - two months here, two there - for the next three years. Very unhappy about this.

Chris1611

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
15-30 minutes. No longer.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I used to commute alone 25 minutes. During that time, I would turn up the praise music and belt out some worship songs, pray a little. I love it! But it was hard on the finances. Gas is really expensive here. Now I commute about 7-10 minutes, depending on how I hit the lights and traffic. I like it because it's enough time for a couple of good worship songs and a quick prayer. I like this even better because I still get the worship without the expense. In January, our whole team will be commuting an hour each way, so I will not be able to use the time for worship. Additionally, we are expecting lousy weather, and there are frequent accidents between here and there, which can hold up traffic for hours. This is a long commute and I am so not looking forward to this...we will be alternating our work in town and out of town - two months here, two there - for the next three years. Very unhappy about this.

For the next 3 years? Ouch. The countdown will soon begin, huh?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

Totally depends on if and how much I like the job and how much I'm getting paid for it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Totally depends on if and how much I like the job and how much I'm getting paid for it.

Okay how about 3 times what you currently make and you really don't care either way if you like it or not? What is too far then?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Okay how about 3 times what you currently make and you really don't care either way if you like it or not? What is too far then?

For 3 times the amount I'd commute 4 hours (includes travel to and travel from), though would prefer train to car.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My normal commute is from my bedroom to my office. It's about 20 paces or a little more ...give or take

Top Bottom