Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
... the teacher's strike in the Los Angeles Unified School District has ended.

The six-day strike was in the second largest school district in the USA, effecting some 30,000 teachers.

The meetings between the Union and the LAUSD over some weeks resulted in the Union agreeing to exactly what the LAUSD offered before any meetings began, before the strike.

An interview of a parent said this was a "civics lesson" for the 640,000 students.

A teacher said they would use this to teach the students about labor relations and the role of unions and strikes.

What do you think those 640,000 students should learn from this?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I remember when I was in high school and my teachers went on strike. I learned that teachers don't make a lot of money and it's difficult without the union for them to get a pay raise.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I learned that when my teachers went on strike I got a free day off school. What's not to like?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I learned that when my teachers went on strike I got a free day off school. What's not to like?

You got to stay home? We had to attend classes during our teacher strike because they went out to picket only during their breaks, free periods and lunches.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You got to stay home? We had to attend classes during our teacher strike because they went out to picket only during their breaks, free periods and lunches.

When our teachers went on strike they did it properly. I think there were two different unions and if either of them went on strike the school was closed because there weren't enough staff to stay open.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When our teachers went on strike they did it properly. I think there were two different unions and if either of them went on strike the school was closed because there weren't enough staff to stay open.

I believe all the LA schools stayed open....

After the strike, the Union agreed to exactly what the school district originally offered - before the discussions and then the strike happened.

Seems to ME.... if the teachers actually do what they said they were, use this as a civics lesson for the 640,000 students of the district.... well, I think the students just might learn from it (even if the teachers don't).

Top Bottom