TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Very informative posts everyone lol.

I've never actually thought about this before, and it's quite an interesting thought. Harm us how though, even when you sin, you are still a Christian and wouldn't it be the same case with the story of Job?

I don't know really how he would harm us but that's why I am asking would it be physically or is it a mind game that he plays with us and twists things as he's known to do, ya know?

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Didn't think my 'thumbs up' was informative enough, eh? Lol . Harm is kind of broad-based here, you're right. What harm in an ultimate sense can that defeated foe do to those who are saved?
But in a practical sense it can wreak havoc in our lives if we compromise with sin, (believe me, I know). Sow to the wind, reap the whirlwind, so to speak.
But why entertain the idea? We should know what sin cost before we got saved, so we have no need to go back into the vipers den to see if we'll get bit again since.

It wasn't a good question then?

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I am afraid of this and don't know how bad the devil will hurt me.

I don't know the extent of his limits here when we're living cuz someone brought up Job and wow, didn't he go through some cruddy life problems that I wouldn't want to handle and do we blame our sin for that or do we blame the devil? Seems to me as if some say blame ourselves for what goes wrong in our lives but didn't Jobs friends blame him too and God pointed out that they shouldn't of done that?

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Try this way to see it. The devil was like one of those nasty big black bees with the nasty stinger , and the stinger was poisonous. And our sin separated us from God, and the 'sting' of sin is death, permanent separation. Hell.

Let's say the bee flew in the car and was flying all around, us little kids are in the back scared and crying, afraid of the bee, but then Dad reaches out from the drivers seat and grabs the bee.

But then ouch, the bee gets out and starts buzzing around, and we're crying get him, Daddy, the big bee is buzzing loud and he's gonna sting us!!!
But Dad says, 'No he wont, kids,
dont be afraid,
look what Daddys got in his hand...'
And he opens his hand, and in it is the stinger.
Now, even though the bee can make a lot of noise,
he can't sting us anymore.

Take a look at Jesus' nail pierced hand!
Our Lord and Saviour Jesus took the stinger for us.
Don't be afraid.
Jesus reduced the devil to a big black bee without a stinger, and all he can do is buzz!

Thank you heavenly Father!
Thank you, Jesus!
Thank you for saving us.
Thank you for your love. Amen. :)

What about Job? Can't you feel his pain?

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
God is protecting you since you believe in him even when you are off being naughty, for he is the father who holds you and will not allow satan to physically harm you even though that devil will do all kinds of things to try to keep you in sin. Isn't that the worse of the harm then?

Now I have to say that you got a point on this and I keep bringing up Job since it was mentioned here in the beginning and so I think about him and I see lots gone wrong with him but not really to him but the things going on around him and I guess God did protect him physically. Does that mean the devil really can't hurt believers phsyically?

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Now I have to say that you got a point on this and I keep bringing up Job since it was mentioned here in the beginning and so I think about him and I see lots gone wrong with him but not really to him but the things going on around him and I guess God did protect him physically. Does that mean the devil really can't hurt believers phsyically?

Only if we accept it. Instead of saying "I am catching a cold" say instead "I am fighting off cold symptoms". Big difference. Who wants to catch a cold? I don't. Sickness and disease comes from satan. Job's troubles came from satan, not from God.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It wasn't a good question then?
It was great. Not sure why you missed my point. Here was the question --->Can the devil harm you as you sin? I dont know how I could have made my answer to that any clearer.
What about Job? Can't you feel his pain?
To a degree, not sure anyone can to his level, tho, but I'm not sure what Job and his afflictions have to do with the initial question.
I'm also not sure why you would ask me this in response to my post encouraging our friend not to be afraid , because Jesus took the fear and sting of the devil and death away for us.
She was expressing fear of the enemy, I was showing her Jesus defeated the enemy to encourage her, you followed that by asking me if I feel Job's pain.
I is confyoosed.
Maybe there's a disconnect there, can you fill me in? I'm always looking to grow.
Btw, love your glasses, where can I get some? :=D:

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I know of a woman, a godly woman with good husband and two fine sons. Life was good and everyone described her as 'pleasant'. One day, the crops failed for several years in a row and they were forced to abandon the family farm in the Bible Belt and seek employment in Las Vegas (sin city). While she was living there, her son's married a couple of local girls, both generally nice girls, but definitely not raised in a God fearing household. In a spell of bad fortune, her husband and both sons died in a short period of time. The once godly woman crawled back to her home town with one of her former showgirl daughter-in-laws full of bitterness at how God had abandoned her.

You talk of the power of Satan (the accuser) and sin to harm. I present the story of a godly woman who suffers for no perceived sin and yet, God saw fit to dedicate an entire book in the bible to this story. Ruth, the pagan Moabite woman, became the grandmother of King David and is even listed in the geneologies of the Messiah in the New Testament. What Satan meant for evil and the sins and misfortune that appeared to human eyes to be for harm, were God making it abundantly clear from the beginning that the Christ, the Decendant of David, was not coming to be king and messiah for the children of Israel only, but for all men. Jews and non-Jews alike. So he dedicated an entire book to make sure we did not miss the fact that God chose a gentile pagan to be redeemed and become the mother of Jesse, the father of David ... through whom the Messiah would come.

Evil is powerless in the face of the plans of omnipotent, omnicient God.

Romans 8:28-30
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

1 John 1:8-10
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-2
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I know of a woman, a godly woman with good husband and two fine sons. Life was good and everyone described her as 'pleasant'. One day, the crops failed for several years in a row and they were forced to abandon the family farm in the Bible Belt and seek employment in Las Vegas (sin city). While she was living there, her son's married a couple of local girls, both generally nice girls, but definitely not raised in a God fearing household. In a spell of bad fortune, her husband and both sons died in a short period of time. The once godly woman crawled back to her home town with one of her former showgirl daughter-in-laws full of bitterness at how God had abandoned her.

You talk of the power of Satan (the accuser) and sin to harm. I present the story of a godly woman who suffers for no perceived sin and yet, God saw fit to dedicate an entire book in the bible to this story. Ruth, the pagan Moabite woman, became the grandmother of King David and is even listed in the geneologies of the Messiah in the New Testament. What Satan meant for evil and the sins and misfortune that appeared to human eyes to be for harm, were God making it abundantly clear from the beginning that the Christ, the Decendant of David, was not coming to be king and messiah for the children of Israel only, but for all men. Jews and non-Jews alike. So he dedicated an entire book to make sure we did not miss the fact that God chose a gentile pagan to be redeemed and become the mother of Jesse, the father of David ... through whom the Messiah would come.

Evil is powerless in the face of the plans of omnipotent, omnicient God.

Romans 8:28-30
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

1 John 1:8-10
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-2
My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Is there a good reason to concoct a "modern USA" story and say it's about a woman you know when in fact it is a fiction based on the story of Ruth in the old testament? Wasn't Ruth's story good enough?

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
The devil's foogchain is to eat the dust of the earth and he goes about looking for those who he can devour. Those who are of a new nature are not devoured but they still can get bit pretty badly. Turning from God means turning to idols so I guess guarding the heart would be the best anti-venom.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is there a good reason to concoct a "modern USA" story and say it's about a woman you know when in fact it is a fiction based on the story of Ruth in the old testament?
Yes.

Wasn't Ruth's story good enough?
Which do most people know more about the general social character of in the modern world:
Ancient Bethlehem or the Bible Belt?
Ancient Moab or Las Vegas?

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

Which do most people know more about the general social character of in the modern world:
Ancient Bethlehem or the Bible Belt?
Ancient Moab or Las Vegas?

Yes, we can see modern day parallels to what is written in the Bible if we are looking. What is written is for our learning.
Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Top Bottom