Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
People get upset with Christianity because they hate it that "good" people might go to hell. But the Bible defines "good" as those who live by faith. Yet, that is foolishness to those who see people doing more servant oriented tasks than their fellow Christians sometimes. What more can we say?

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is a free gift from God. You can't work yourself into heaven and you can't work yourself out of hell. Servitude comes with a true relationship with Jesus Christ.
So a true follower of Christ will give of themselves in service to their fellow man. Every true follower of Christ I know serve in some way.
Do these people who are upset, do 'good' to get praise from their fellow man or because they truly want to help. Are the people they observe true followers of Jesus Christ or just claim to be Christians.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (*Ephesians‬ *2‬:*8-9‬ KJV)

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a child, one of the verses that gave me pause is Isaiah 64:6:

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Now, this verse was used as a means of instructing us that no matter how well be treat others, no matter what acts of charity we perform, that without the blood of Christ, these were nothing but a pile of filthy rags before God on the day of our judgement. So, the non-Christian who behaves in a completely selfless and altruistic manner all his life gets tossed into the Lake of Fire for an eternity of unimaginable torment, while the serial killer who professes Christ on the day of his execution goes to heaven (according to the church in which I was raised).

This struck me as complete and utter nonsense, and I only mean the way this particular church presented it to me. :)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We cando nothing to earn righteousness. It is only through Christ that we can appear before God holy and righteous. A lifetime of good works without Christ only earns you less punishment inn hell, not a ticket out of it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It's because we don't work for our salvation. It's not about how good we are or what we do for others. That's not Christianity.

Christianity is about man falling because he wanted to be his own god. Man then cannot be "perfect" as God requires in order to have eternal life with God because man chose to be his own god. If we think of the non-Christian rejecting the one true God, then they're rejecting eternal life with him and thus wanting to be their own god. It has nothing to do with being good.

Of course most of us want to do good things. It's because that's part of our nature since we're all created in God's image :)

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Now, this verse was used as a means of instructing us that no matter how well be treat others, no matter what acts of charity we perform, that without the blood of Christ, these were nothing but a pile of filthy rags before God on the day of our judgement. So, the non-Christian who behaves in a completely selfless and altruistic manner all his life gets tossed into the Lake of Fire for an eternity of unimaginable torment, while the serial killer who professes Christ on the day of his execution goes to heaven (according to the church in which I was raised).

This struck me as complete and utter nonsense, and I only mean the way this particular church presented it to me. :)

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I understand the concept, but still, it makes no sense at all to me. A single act of faith outweighs an entire lifetime of altruism. This single act is rewarded, while the other is punished in an extremely cruel way...for eternity. To me it sounds like the actions of a horrible monster. If this story is true, then upon judgement, I will feel morally superior to the monster that would condemn me in such a ridiculous way. :)

brinny

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
It's a good study, the word "good" and what that means Biblically....

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
People get upset with Christianity because they hate it that "good" people might go to hell. But the Bible defines "good" as those who live by faith. Yet, that is foolishness to those who see people doing more servant oriented tasks than their fellow Christians sometimes. What more can we say?

I think good is anything that glorifies God. That's why it's only those living by faith can really do good. And even that is Christ living through us (Gal 2:20).

Sent from my iPhone using my right thumb.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I understand the concept, but still, it makes no sense at all to me. A single act of faith outweighs an entire lifetime of altruism. This single act is rewarded, while the other is punished in an extremely cruel way...for eternity. To me it sounds like the actions of a horrible monster. If this story is true, then upon judgement, I will feel morally superior to the monster that would condemn me in such a ridiculous way. :)

I understand what you are saying and agree with you.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No. You'll finally understand how awesome God really is and that every act not done for His glory is sinful.

Sent from my iPhone using my right thumb.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
No. You'll finally understand how awesome God really is and that every act not done for His glory is sinful.

In order for me to think like that, would require a profound change in my mind that would cause me to no longer be me. Sure, God could make me do or say anything while condemning me to burn forever because I could not believe something without evidence, but what good would that do, to make a puppet of me?

A secular man who mows his elderly neighbor's yard because his neighbor has no one to do it and cannot afford to pay someone to do it is not committing a sin, and if he is then we need more sin in this world. :)

Edit: This thread resulted in a lengthy discussion the gist of which which was not actually on-topic with this thread, so that discussion has appropriately been moved here:

Belief vs. Fact

Last edited:

charis en excelcis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It's a good study, the word "good" and what that means Biblically....
In Greek there are two words for good, one moral and the other valuation.

charis en excelcis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Three things that I would like to add.
First, we are creatures of mixed nature. The best have evil and the most evil have good. This, I think, is why we are capable of repentance and salvation. The angels appear to be absolutely good or absolutely evil, and have no repentance or salvation.
Second, I believe that if a man seeks to do and be good, he will have opportunity by the Spirit to discover the truth.
Third, when considering this matter, we also must consider the possibility of Abrahamic conversion.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

You do not understand who you are.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

don't think this way on the wrongful assumption that the evils a person did go unpunished .. its just that another is punished on behalf of them ..and that without ever being asked to .

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Based on what I have read. A secular individual that doesn't know of God because of innocent ignorance is not damned per say, yet will be judged by his works alone.

Faith in selfless Unity through Good

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

They miss many things if they think "good people " perish .they don't yet perceive that darkness (sin) cannot come into the presence of God who is light .

its a childish analogy but it works .. take a container of dark and hold it up to the light then take the lid off.. the dark does not overwhelm the light .. the light consumes the dark .
so it is to bring ANY sin into the presence of God .it is the very mercy of God at work to separate himself from sinful man lest sinful mankind be immediately consumed in the light of his righteousness.

to think at any stage that we are "good enough " is to walk in the error of cain -who considered himself "good" by his own merit.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Based on what I have read. A secular individual that doesn't know of God because of innocent ignorance is not damned per say, yet will be judged by his works alone.

Faith in selfless Unity through Good
you mean ? as in has not come to a knowledge of Christ Jesus ? .. im inclined to agree in so much as certain testimonies of NDE's have led to the lord revealing himself to individuals where they had never had opportunity to know of him - but i won't stand on that inclination or defend it . because im unsure of a biblical basis for it ,at present .
what i do know is that a person who is seeking for "the absolute truth of God " in their heart with all sincerity ..will,one way or another .. Find the lord JEsus . for the lord says .."I will be found of them " -which to me has always spoken of someone so wiling to be found that he leaps out and says HERE I AM . :)

Top Bottom