Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I was reading an article called 4 Beliefs That Set Lutherans Apart From Other Protestant Christians and I agree with these points brought up. Are there more? I'm sure there are.

Here are the 4:
1. The Elect: Whereas many Protestant denominations focus on the believer's decision to accept salvation from Jesus, Lutherans turn that around and focus on God choosing the believer.

2. The Role of Good Works: While Lutherans steadfastly believe that salvation can never be earned, they also believe that God nonetheless expects us to love our neighbors.

3. Paradoxes: Some people claim that Lutheranism is a religion of "ands." For instance, Lutherans believe that people are both bound by sin and death and, because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross, freed from sin and its consequences. Another belief balances justice with mercy: That people are both subject to the condemnation of the law and redeemed from that condemnation through the mercy of God.

4. Worship: Unlike most Protestant religions, Lutheranism retains many of the outward symbols and liturgical structure of Catholicism.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
#4 is really the main difference. Martin Luther couldn't quite take his feet out of Romanism. He modified things (with the help of Melanchthon), but left himself with a similar concept regarding communion and infant baptism. Like many other early reformers he retained a liturgical style. I suspect this was mostly due to the vast number of illiterate people. Lutheranism, like Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy and the Church of England could not conceive of the separation between Church and State. This merging meant it was very hard to live in a world of independent reasoning. The liturgy fed right into the concept of an entire State learning the same doctrines without individuals questioning those doctrines.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I was reading an article called 4 Beliefs That Set Lutherans Apart From Other Protestant Christians and I agree with these points brought up. Are there more? I'm sure there are.

Here are the 4:
1. The Elect: Whereas many Protestant denominations focus on the believer's decision to accept salvation from Jesus, Lutherans turn that around and focus on God choosing the believer.

2. The Role of Good Works: While Lutherans steadfastly believe that salvation can never be earned, they also believe that God nonetheless expects us to love our neighbors.

3. Paradoxes: Some people claim that Lutheranism is a religion of "ands." For instance, Lutherans believe that people are both bound by sin and death and, because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross, freed from sin and its consequences. Another belief balances justice with mercy: That people are both subject to the condemnation of the law and redeemed from that condemnation through the mercy of God.

4. Worship: Unlike most Protestant religions, Lutheranism retains many of the outward symbols and liturgical structure of Catholicism.

As much as I appreciate this, I have to disagree with at least 3 of the 4 points.

1. Whereas Lutheran accept POSITIVE election and reject the radical invention of a few later-day radical Calvinists who invented DOUBLE predestination, this view is by no means unique to Lutherans. It is the position of the Council of Orange and thus tghe official Catholic position (although I admit most Catholics became "free will" Arminianist during the Middle Ages- the primary reason for the Reformation. It's also largely the position of Anglicanism and many Reformed Christians.

2. This is the position of all monergists, not just Lutherans. ALL who believe that Jesus is the Savior agree with Lutherans on this point, as many dol

3. This probably DOES count! Lutherans have a deep sense of humility as they approach theology.... a deep sense that we are stewards of the mysteries of God rather than the correctors of God, the ones responsible for making God correct, reasonable, logical and jibing with the thoughts and theories of fallen, limited, puny humans. I see SOME of this in Orthodoxy but largely absent in modern Protestantism outside of Lutheranism (and perhaps historic, conservative Anglicanism).

4. Lutheran worship is very similar to Catholicism and Anglicanism and thus HARDLY unique; it is part of liturgical worship that is embraced by the great majority of Christians.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
As much as I appreciate this, I have to disagree with at least 3 of the 4 points.

1. Whereas Lutheran accept POSITIVE election and reject the radical invention of a few later-day radical Calvinists who invented DOUBLE predestination, this view is by no means unique to Lutherans. It is the position of the Council of Orange and thus tghe official Catholic position (although I admit most Catholics became "free will" Arminianist during the Middle Ages- the primary reason for the Reformation. It's also largely the position of Anglicanism and many Reformed Christians.

2. This is the position of all monergists, not just Lutherans. ALL who believe that Jesus is the Savior agree with Lutherans on this point, as many dol

3. This probably DOES count! Lutherans have a deep sense of humility as they approach theology.... a deep sense that we are stewards of the mysteries of God rather than the correctors of God, the ones responsible for making God correct, reasonable, logical and jibing with the thoughts and theories of fallen, limited, puny humans. I see SOME of this in Orthodoxy but largely absent in modern Protestantism outside of Lutheranism (and perhaps historic, conservative Anglicanism).

4. Lutheran worship is very similar to Catholicism and Anglicanism and thus HARDLY unique; it is part of liturgical worship that is embraced by the great majority of Christians.

There is no negative election. All are born in sin. They are destined to damnation except by the grace of God. Man you struggle with this truth.

Most Lutheran's are Arminians, like Roman Catholics.

Top Bottom