Are Preachers not just peddlers of wares?

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
umm that's supposed to be wares in the title ... mod could you change that please...

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

IACOBVS

Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
umm that's supposed to be wares in the title ... mod could you change that please...

Thoughts?

Some certainly are.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Thoughts?

Lol! Wasn't sure what this was going to be about with the original title. "Click bate" couldn't help but find out.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I changed the title for you.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I changed the title for you.
thank you.
I was thinking about the different denominations and the wares that were in the courtyard at the Jerusalem temple. Wouldn't it be more productive
In finding commonalities or is that too boring :yawn: that's probably just me. It feels like summer yahoo lazy days

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
thank you.
I was thinking about the different denominations and the wares that were in the courtyard at the Jerusalem temple. Wouldn't it be more productive
In finding commonalities or is that too boring :yawn: that's probably just me. It feels like summer yahoo lazy days

Does your church have wares? What kind does your pastor peddle?

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Does your church have wares? What kind does your pastor peddle?
Denominational differences would the the wares that all of us preach I would think.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What gets me is the current version of selling indulgences repacked as seed faith tithing. Where the more money you give to 'that' particular ministry the more God will bless you.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when standing before the judgement seat of Christ.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
What gets me is the current version of selling indulgences repacked as seed faith tithing. Where the more money you give to 'that' particular ministry the more God will bless you.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes when standing before the judgement seat of Christ.
i quite going to Pentecostles for awhile during the time that was quite prevalient. But there were many in the church that stood against philosophy. thats definately a particular ware thats obvious to th eyes.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Denominational differences would the the wares that all of us preach I would think.

I don't think of them as wares since they all consider their beliefs to be biblical. Is there anything in particular that you think is being "sold" that Jesus would disapprove of?

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I don't think of them as wares since they all consider their beliefs to be biblical. Is there anything in particular that you think is being "sold" that Jesus would disapprove of?[/QUOT
Well if Jesus said only yes and no are of Him then anything but raw scripture would be considered an addition. And different denominations have different ways of expressing their interpretations.
In a sence that would be the traditions of the denominations.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well if Jesus said only yes and no are of Him then anything but raw scripture would be considered an addition. And different denominations have different ways of expressing their interpretations.
In a sence that would be the traditions of the denominations.

Are there specific traditions you have in mind that don't point to Jesus (or the cross) that you think the pastors are peddling?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I confess, I'm confused about this thread.....

I don't think it is common for churches to sell goods. Occasionally, there might be some books for something and the church asks for a donation to cover the cost.... but I don't think even that is common. Last Christmas, my Lutheran church asked individuals to donate Pointsettia plants for the altar area ($6.00 each - cost) and then we could take the plant home after the Christmas service, but I don't see that as exactly selling stuff and again, there was no profit involved.

In my Catholic parish, they constantly had fundraisers (for the parish, for the school, for various groups in the church such as the youth or Knights, etc.) and I did get a little tired of the persistence of this, but these were fundraisers for charity, to help support various ministries. I wish people would just donate but there was a bit of a culture that they had to get something (an overpriced hot dog or bag of popcorn or lasagna or pony ride) for their donation. But while I though the fundraisers "overdone" I didn't see it as making the church into a business, I think it was simply efforts to fund ministries: the people involved were all volunteers and it was all for worthy charities. Parish school kids selling overpriced candy bars didn't seem to be so much different than girl scouts selling overpriced cookies... both are efforts to fund good things, and one certainly may not participate by not purchasing such.

In almost all churches, there is a "stewardship" emphasis once a year. My church has 3 Sundays in the Fall dedicated to this. But I find this very biblical; the Bible has a LOT to say about the godly management and use of our time, talents/gifts and money. Yeah.... one can see self-service in this (it is to the parish that this use of time, talent and treasure is typically directed) but it's not exclusively so and it is quite biblical. I think it's important to remind people of godly stewardship and to not think everything revolves around the growth of the kingdom of self.

My probably off-topic half cent.

- Josiah

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
1-Exclusiveness would be a common one whereby others of different denominations are judged because they don't share the beliefs in said tradition. Compassion is much better than execution.
2-Over emphasis on anything besides Christ would be another. Fi focus on security thru acquirement of finances rather than security of life in Him. Visualize Christ not money.
3-Seemingly inequality of the uniqeness of persons. It matters not who gets what from God because it's in the sharing that the whole body is lifted up. Lack of collective consciousness and the evolution of.
4-Christianity isn't lacking in rules of conduct but much of denominations ignor them to achieve worldly popularity.
5-Church elder's care that should protect newcomers in their most vulnerable position from wolves in that place but don't.

There's the rationalization of behaviors. Those are really the straightout lies of denominationalism. The biggest being lies to oneself. Laws of cause and effect automatically place the value of believing lies equal to not recognizing truth.
Incorperating oneself in Him rather than a congegation helps to clarify the word. Hebrews 4:12

Then there's projecting mankind's lower qualities onto children by telling them a loving God will burn them in hell if they don't behave. Sunday school should be about Jesus' love and forgiveness not blocking the way to Him with unfounded lies. Those who are not for Him are against Him.

Lack of recognition of our Great High Priest by placing some power hungry priest in His place and call that Christ's representative.

Those are a few of the things that don't point to the cross but rather away from that not all denominations are guilty of but in general you can usually see one or two enacted in any church setting. Any of those actions would be something that I could see Jesus taking a whip and cleansing the temple thereof.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
1-Exclusiveness would be a common one whereby others of different denominations are judged because they don't share the beliefs in said tradition. Compassion is much better than execution.

By judged do you mean that some churches have closed communion and you disagree with that?

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

By judged do you mean that some churches have closed communion and you disagree with that?
No that's not what I meant having never been to a closed communion church. You would be more of a judge than I on that. But that could be one of many thought patterns that exclude. More prevalient ones are called cults but I think there are many subtle forms of exclusion. Josiah has pointed out the lack of that exclusion by stressing the inclusion of all as full partners in salvation. So basically that would cover that view of one of things that are not christ or cross related.

Top Bottom