World Are fear and ignorance driving our politics?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
He also calls us to use wisdom and be wise

Of course. But where's the wisdom in "lock out a billion people because a few hundred of them are dangerous"? It's a response based on fear and hysteria. It's a response that magnifies a vanishingly small threat and treats it as if it were a near certainty. And when policies are more or less decided by how people appear, you can be sure that the groups that wish us harm will simply seek a disguise. If immigration policy is doing little more than seeking out young men with brown skin and beards, how long before the truly dangerous groups start looking to radicalise people who don't match the rather cliched appearance of Muslims? It's better to have a more rational policy before we start to see young white men radicalised and slipping through the safety nets undetected because they speak with an English or West European accent and can talk convincingly about the (Christian) church they attend at home.

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Of course. But where's the wisdom in "lock out a billion people because a few hundred of them are dangerous"? It's a response based on fear and hysteria. It's a response that magnifies a vanishingly small threat and treats it as if it were a near certainty. And when policies are more or less decided by how people appear, you can be sure that the groups that wish us harm will simply seek a disguise. If immigration policy is doing little more than seeking out young men with brown skin and beards, how long before the truly dangerous groups start looking to radicalise people who don't match the rather cliched appearance of Muslims? It's better to have a more rational policy before we start to see young white men radicalised and slipping through the safety nets undetected because they speak with an English or West European accent and can talk convincingly about the (Christian) church they attend at home.

The real question, tango, is where the wisdom is in bringing in thousands of those people who want to kill us. Why do you want innocent Americans dead? Whose side are you one???
Another question, why do you want to bring in a BILLION people when our nation only has about 230 million?

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Tango, with great political inebriation, said: *****My point is that it's silly to focus on Muslims as being some kind of unique threat when all sorts of other superficially similar groups of people include dangerous individuals - as I mentioned an Oriental might be a member of the Triads or Yakuza, an Italian might be a Mafia don, a Hispanic might be a drug lord. Where's the sense in ignoring all those possibilities to focus with such passion on young men with brown skin and beards?*****

Focus on Muslims as a UNIQUE threat? And would you be kind enough to reveal what other group is beheading people and forcing them to adopt their religion or face death? Indeed, the deeds -- and the perpetrators -- represent unique threats (note the pluralization there) that you are deliberately trying to ignore.

I don't like referring to idiots as idiots -- but you are coming so very, very close to earning that designation. People JUST LIKE YOU are directly responsible for the deaths of innocent Americans over the past 20+ years from Muslim savages. And no, that does not mean that every Muslim is a savage. But those who savage innocent life ARE indeed savages.

And, of course, are the kind of people you seem to support.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Tango, with great political inebriation, said: *****My point is that it's silly to focus on Muslims as being some kind of unique threat when all sorts of other superficially similar groups of people include dangerous individuals - as I mentioned an Oriental might be a member of the Triads or Yakuza, an Italian might be a Mafia don, a Hispanic might be a drug lord. Where's the sense in ignoring all those possibilities to focus with such passion on young men with brown skin and beards?*****

Focus on Muslims as a UNIQUE threat? And would you be kind enough to reveal what other group is beheading people and forcing them to adopt their religion or face death? Indeed, the deeds -- and the perpetrators -- represent unique threats (note the pluralization there) that you are deliberately trying to ignore.

I don't like referring to idiots as idiots -- but you are coming so very, very close to earning that designation. People JUST LIKE YOU are directly responsible for the deaths of innocent Americans over the past 20+ years from Muslim savages. And no, that does not mean that every Muslim is a savage. But those who savage innocent life ARE indeed savages.

He3re here, so true

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The real question, tango, is where the wisdom is in bringing in thousands of those people who want to kill us. Why do you want innocent Americans dead? Whose side are you one???
Another question, why do you want to bring in a BILLION people when our nation only has about 230 million?

Here's an idea for you. How about you actually read my posts and ask questions that are relevant.

To make things simple for you:

1. I never said I want to bring in people who will kill us. (Clue: I don't)
2. I never said I want innocent Americans dead. (Clue: I don't)
3. Figure it out for yourself.
4. I never said I want to bring in a billion people. (Clue: I don't)

Try reading what I post and asking useful questions, then maybe we can have an intelligent discussion. In the meantime you could perhaps answer one of my questions that I've asked a few times now, which is why it's appropriate to focus so much time and energy on young men with brown skin and beards while not putting vastly more energy into problems that cause more deaths (e.g. anaphylaxis and deaths on the roads).

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Woohoo! More of the exciting reasoning.

Did I ever say anything to suggest anything even remotely in support of individuals who behead others? (Hint: I didn't). I'm glad to see one of my points finally got through to you.

Did I ever say the Yakuza and Triads are forcing people to convert or die? (Hint: no). Do you think that means the Yakuza and the Triads are nice, well-mannered individuals who wouldn't hurt a fly? Or are you looking for an immigration policy that shouts and waves its arms a lot and implements things based on hysteria rather than a considered approach?

I'm not ignoring threats at all. I'm just looking to consider the threat in a rational manner rather than a hysterical way that would have us think the sky is falling in on us every time we see a young man with brown skin and a beard. But wait, he might be one of those Nasty Muslims we've heard about who will cut our heads off. Of course he might, but the odds are against it. It would be more rational to get into our motor vehicles afraid we might not live to reach our final destination. After all, deaths on our roads run to some 30,000 in a year while the Nasty Brown People only managed to kill 3,000 in 12 years (hint: that's about 250 a year on average).

But hey, 250 dead in a year thanks to terrorism against 30,000 dead in a year on our roads. Let's focus lots of attention on the 250, that's keeping things in a healthy perspective. Whether I get my head cut off by a Qu'ran wielding fanatic because I refused to bow down to Allah or get taken out on the interstate by a drunk driver in a minivan the end result is much the same. It's just that on the balance of probabilities it seems I'm more likely to get taken out on the interstate than by some nutter with a big knife and a Qu'ran.

Which comes right back a question of fear and ignorance. Fear of people who are Not Like Us, ignorance of people who are Not Like Us, and ignorance of what is more likely to kill us.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Did I ever say anything to suggest anything even remotely in support of individuals who behead others? (Hint: I didn't). I'm glad to see one of my points finally got through to you.

Did I ever say the Yakuza and Triads are forcing people to convert or die? (Hint: no). Do you think that means the Yakuza and the Triads are nice, well-mannered individuals who wouldn't hurt a fly? Or are you looking for an immigration policy that shouts and waves its arms a lot and implements things based on hysteria rather than a considered approach?

I'm not ignoring threats at all. I'm just looking to consider the threat in a rational manner rather than a hysterical way that would have us think the sky is falling in on us every time we see a young man with brown skin and a beard. But wait, he might be one of those Nasty Muslims we've heard about who will cut our heads off. Of course he might, but the odds are against it. It would be more rational to get into our motor vehicles afraid we might not live to reach our final destination. After all, deaths on our roads run to some 30,000 in a year while the Nasty Brown People only managed to kill 3,000 in 12 years (hint: that's about 250 a year on average).

But hey, 250 dead in a year thanks to terrorism against 30,000 dead in a year on our roads. Let's focus lots of attention on the 250, that's keeping things in a healthy perspective. Whether I get my head cut off by a Qu'ran wielding fanatic because I refused to bow down to Allah or get taken out on the interstate by a drunk driver in a minivan the end result is much the same. It's just that on the balance of probabilities it seems I'm more likely to get taken out on the interstate than by some nutter with a big knife and a Qu'ran.

Which comes right back a question of fear and ignorance. Fear of people who are Not Like Us, ignorance of people who are Not Like Us, and ignorance of what is more likely to kill us.
Autos are here to stay and we choose to use the convienence on the other hand muslims are not automatically here until we let them in and if the screening process is such that it does not weed out thethreat then yes we should close the borders till we can tellthe difference. Again if you feel so strongly then advocate for them IN your COUNTRY not ours

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Did I ever say anything to suggest anything even remotely in support of individuals who behead others? (Hint: I didn't).

HINT: Actually you have. Numerous times you have said you have no problem with the killing of innocent Americans.

You would be much more valuable to the human race if you were to relinquish your American citizenship and relocate to a nation that more closely lines up with your sick philosophy -- such as the old Soviet Union, or Saudi Arabia or Syria -- pretty much any Muslim nation of your choice.

You would be fine living under Sharia Law and I'm sure would think it is ideal for the USA.

In other words, we're stronger WITHOUT people like you than we are with you.

Top Bottom