Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In the bible God showed the emotion of anger. So we can learn from that that it is not sinful to be angry with our neighbor. Hatred because of anger is not what God wants.

What would you say to someone who thought that anger was a sin?

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have no idea. I used to be angry at my neighbour. That was sin. She controlled me which made me crazy to have to have 3 kids shut up all day or she complained. Lot of stress, outbursts of anger.
Said sorry a zillion times to God and was friendly to her. Oh sorry mrs. blablabla slime slime.
and then a guy on a forum said the dog of the neighbours drove him crazy. day in day out yanking the whole day.
So he asked them if he should let the dog out for them. They barked at him that he shouldnt whine cause everyone whines sometimes. Called the police and animal welfare. They did nothing. He moved.
I was like: hey that's it! Be completely antisocial, do your thing, don't care about what mrs controlfreak wants and live your life. Then they leave you alone.
Lol she once told the kids they were allowed to sing or play flute. So the youngest was also sooooo sick of this constant stress of shutting up, he sang her a song,everyone could hear it throygh the walls cause he sang really loud: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT Lololol a pity i cant post the video.
Lovely. Bye bye buy earplugs not my problem. I ignore her and dont even say hi anymore. If I would it'd be fake and fake holy we call that. Act normal, stop threatening or I put you on ignore.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
In the bible God showed the emotion of anger. So we can learn from that that it is not sinful to be angry with our neighbor. Hatred because of anger is not what God wants.

What would you say to someone who thought that anger was a sin?

Jesus was angry with the scribes and Pharisees.
And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand. And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him. And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth. And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace. And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other. And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him.
Mark 3:1-6 KJV

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I have no idea. I used to be angry at my neighbour. That was sin. She controlled me which made me crazy to have to have 3 kids shut up all day or she complained. Lot of stress, outbursts of anger.
Said sorry a zillion times to God and was friendly to her. Oh sorry mrs. blablabla slime slime.
and then a guy on a forum said the dog of the neighbours drove him crazy. day in day out yanking the whole day.
So he asked them if he should let the dog out for them. They barked at him that he shouldnt whine cause everyone whines sometimes. Called the police and animal welfare. They did nothing. He moved.
I was like: hey that's it! Be completely antisocial, do your thing, don't care about what mrs controlfreak wants and live your life. Then they leave you alone.
Lol she once told the kids they were allowed to sing or play flute. So the youngest was also sooooo sick of this constant stress of shutting up, he sang her a song,everyone could hear it throygh the walls cause he sang really loud: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT Lololol a pity i cant post the video.
Lovely. Bye bye buy earplugs not my problem. I ignore her and dont even say hi anymore. If I would it'd be fake and fake holy we call that. Act normal, stop threatening or I put you on ignore.
All I can say is HOOOOORRAAAAYYY!!!:cheer2: Finally!
It's what I've been trying to tell you for a while.
And I remember you telling me how nice I was supposed to be to the drug-dealing racist thugs next to us (I don't even like to use the word 'neighbor' with some of them) ..... we've been putting up with their garbage for a long time, .... Unfortunately, we've gotten pushed to the brink, and with little to no official help ( but I dont blame the police, I understand their situation) we're being forced to move, but it's taking a long time to get things in order.
Meanwhile, the warm weather is here, and the trouble has started already, and even the gangs of their children are getting worse. Just had a car window smashed out up the driveway last night.

I've done the 'pray for your enemies' thing, .... Even tried to share the gospel at one point, but I struggle with knowing the diff between 'going to ninevah' and 'casting pearls before swine'. I know I dont deserve salvation, and Im no better than anybody else, but does God really want me killed or thrown in jail? idk

But Im glad for you, Rens ... It's a genuine answer to prayer, but I will keep praying that things continue to improve in your situation. You have a right to live and breathe, and I believe that applies to those two other situations as well. In due time.

I will update soon, as I was answering the OP, the rest of my post was conveniently cut-off. :=D:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO, Christians have made a distinction between "righteous indignation" and "anger."

The first is a function of the Law - rebuking where there is wrong. Jesus at the Temple overturning the tables of the money changers is an example.

The second is failing to forgive and to love, to wag a finger of self-righteousness in condemnation of others, to show hatred. THIS we are forbidden to do. Think of Jesus on Maundy Thursday as He had every right to be mad, to seek revenge and yet....

Josiah

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
IMO, Christians have made a distinction between "righteous indignation" and "anger."

The first is a function of the Law - rebuking where there is wrong. Jesus at the Temple overturning the tables of the money changers is an example.

The second is failing to forgive and to love, to wag a finger of self-righteousness in condemnation of others, to show hatred. THIS we are forbidden to do. Think of Jesus on Maundy Thursday as He had every right to be mad, to seek revenge and yet....

Josiah
Yes, but too many have made failed distinctions. Angry at alot of the wrong things, and the righteous indignation is often 'self'righteous indignation, and it's often pretty selective at that. I've seen too many examples, been a victim of it myself .... After somebody lying repeatedly, I called them a liar and a phony, only to have ppl jump all over me for saying that. It was proven and admitted that the person was a stinkin phony hypochrite liar, but somehow that was ok, because the lies were said 'nicely' (blech) but I was STILL looked at as the bad guy because (whisper whisper, you just cant SAY that, that's mean). ... (Aarrgghh) :banghead:
OY VAY! Jesus wouldnt fit in some of their circles, I'm afraid.

The double-standards and selective outrage by some is what angers me. :=D:

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Ephesians 4:26New King James Version (NKJV)

26 “Be angry, and do not sin”:[a] do not let the sun go down on your wrath,

I believe this verse shows anger and sin do not have to go hand in hand.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

BINGO! .... (oops, sorry, it's just an expression, the game hasnt started yet)
But .... BINGO! GOD gets angry, JESUS gets angry, why do some ppl think christians shouldnt get angry. Jesus used all kinds of harsh language, so did the rest of the New Testament writers, let alone the OT.
There's a time and a season for everything, and anger is a necessary part of our make-up.
I actually think that sometimes it's a sin, not only for ppl to get angry at the wrong things, or take it out the wrong way, but also when christians DONT get angry, when they should, or again, pretend they dont, but then take their self-righteousness indignation out on other believers.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Amen :amen: And don't forget to forgive. I think it was Rens who said set some healthy boundaries. :)
We have a saying at our church. " Some people you have to love out of a long handled spoon." I always add, "Some you have to love out out of a shovel." Sometimes the things that cause us to respond in anger are just triggers.But, we have to remember that temperance is a fruit of the Spirit. My daughter-in-law is a very sweet lady. But, when she is driving, she has the worst road rage.:lol: .I don't think she sins with it though. When we are stressed out, we tend to succumb to anger easier also.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Amen :amen:And don't forget to forgive.
I think it was Rens who said set some healthy boundaries. :)
We have a saying at our church. " Some people you have to love out of a long handled spoon." I always add, "Some you have to love out out of a shovel." Sometimes the things that cause us to respond in anger are just triggers.But, we have to remember that temperance is a fruit of the Spirit. My daughter-in-law is a very sweet lady. But, when she is driving, she has the worst road rage.:lol: .I don't think she sins with it though. When we are stressed out, we tend to succumb to anger easier also.

Exactly. I don't think its coincidence God's word immediately follows up with {do not let the sun go down on your wrath,}

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
nm

Last edited:

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anger indeed can be sin for some, and I think you should watch declaring what is sin for another.

Man angered GOD. That in no way whatsoever insinuates that it is acceptable for man to be angered​ with man or creation; let alone GOD almighty.

Why don't you set back for a moment and contemplate the fruits of your own personal anger in the past.

Now consider to what percentage of men in power have acted on anger. What have been the fruits of their labors? Do you think it was counted to them for righteousness?

I assure you anger can be sin.

Perhaps you've never witnessed such destructive, malevolent anger as to understand it's nature. I can only assume you've never had it dwell and grow within your heart.

Count it as one of inummerable blessings from our GOD.

Take it how you want, but know that I'm speaking from extensive experience; and as such, not out of my butt.

peace

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Pops, I think your post speaks more about what men do with their anger instead of the anger itself. Wouldn't you agree?

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pops, I think your post speaks more about what men do with their anger instead of the anger itself. Wouldn't you agree?

Perhaps, but let us reflect on what we know by the will of GOD.

Is it the sin we hate or the sinner?

Does thought lead to action?

If I was never angered would I ever be motivated by anger?

If I don't desire the wants of he flesh can I commit adultery or fornication?

What of hatred? Can it not stem from anger among pride and fear?

Anger too can empower and motivate, but eventually that too can become exceedingly detrimental to the practitioner as it eventually hardens the heart.

Would you agree with any of that?

peace

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Perhaps, but let us reflect on what we know by the will of GOD.

Is it the sin we hate or the sinner?

Does thought lead to action?

If I was never angered would I ever be motivated by anger?

If I don't desire the wants of he flesh can I commit adultery or fornication?

What of hatred? Can it not stem from anger among pride and fear?

Anger too can empower and motivate, but eventually that too can become exceedingly detrimental to the practitioner as it eventually hardens the heart.

Would you agree with any of that?

peace

I think your questions back up what I asked about action instead of just the emotion which is not sinful in itself.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
If you are angry at your brother you have committed murder, this points to the spitritual which we are supposed to be in rather than the physical as far being in Christ. The Old Testament was based on physical action but the New is based on spiritual so that our very thoughts can be sin. We are held to a higher standard

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If you are angry at your brother you have committed murder, this points to the spitritual which we are supposed to be in rather than the physical as far being in Christ. The Old Testament was based on physical action but the New is based on spiritual so that our very thoughts can be sin. We are held to a higher standard

Nevertheless Jesus was angry and did not sin.
And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand. And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him. And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth. And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace. And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other. And the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him.
Mark 3:1-6 KJV

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

Statement 1 - Anger at another person = having Murdered them. This is false and I am not aware of anywhere this is taught by Messiah or elsewhere.
Statement 2 - This grand generalization is also false. Thoughts and action can be sinful in either the "old" testament or the new.

What a measure that is, psalms. By your very own measure you are/were a murderer when you expressed that you wanted to punch me in the mouth in a thread where I disagreed with you about the war glory you seem to like to revel in.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Amen

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

You forgot to add the rest of the verse:

Matthew 5:21-22 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment."

Underline is mine to show you how we CAN be angry if we have a cause. God got angry in the OT and we see Jesus get angry too and as MC pointed out, He is without sin.

Top Bottom