... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I'm surprised colleges haven't reverted to grunting and pointing given just about any form of words seems to be offensive to someone these days.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's why we started saying 'Merica. :rofl3:

SO many people getting offended about everything these days. It's a bit annoying to keep reading and sometimes it's just the media finding 2 people who are offended and then decide to make some drama out of it.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
America is a geographical region comprising two continents and adjoining islands, some 35 nations in all. The United States of America comprises one part of that area. That is precisely why the founding fathers of the USA chose to name their nation in that way --- to distinguish themselves from all the other states that compromise America. At one point in my life I lived in a very old Canadian town that had a wonderful, and equally ancient,l pub known as "The American House".

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Well, there is real oppression out there - nasty fellows! However, with "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" thing is going on - soon - nobody will believe the real oppression.

In fact, I wonder if a lot of this PC stuff - is actually some espionage work by the people - supposedly PC is against. It's a sort of "Divide and Conquer" thing.

America is a geographical region comprising two continents and adjoining islands, some 35 nations in all. The United States of America comprises one part of that area. That is precisely why the founding fathers of the USA chose to name their nation in that way --- to distinguish themselves from all the other states that compromise America. At one point in my life I lived in a very old Canadian town that had a wonderful, and equally ancient,l pub known as "The American House".

Well, technically - the US isn't America. It's the United States of America - which means it's a bunch of United States which happen to be located in America. It would be like the United Hot Dog Vendors of Germany. That would be one hot dog company, but not the only one in Germany.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, there is real oppression out there - nasty fellows! However, with "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" thing is going on - soon - nobody will believe the real oppression.

In fact, I wonder if a lot of this PC stuff - is actually some espionage work by the people - supposedly PC is against. It's a sort of "Divide and Conquer" thing.

Well, technically - the US isn't America. It's the United States of America - which means it's a bunch of United States which happen to be located in America. It would be like the United Hot Dog Vendors of Germany. That would be one hot dog company, but not the only one in Germany.

I imagine that's why JRT said that "the United States of America comprises one part of that area".

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
America, though, even applied to all of "America", is offensive to PC types - because, well, that would be a symbol of white male oppression, no? :yawning: It shouldn't be called America - because it's very arrogant to name a place that you invaded - ha ha.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some CHOOSE to feel offense at just about everything..... Their choice.

Just today in the newspaper, there was an article about the City of Berkley in my own Peoples Republic of California that OFFICIALLY and FORMALLY renamed "mancovers" to "maintainance access covers" because some choose to feel offended by the word "man."

I will defend the "right" of anyone to choose to feel offended, and also the "right" to regard such as not only baseless but silly.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No

Just today in the newspaper, there was an article about the City of Berkley in my own Peoples Republic of California that OFFICIALLY and FORMALLY renamed "mancovers" to "maintainance access covers" because some choose to feel offended by the word "man."

I will defend the "right" of anyone to choose to feel offended, and also the "right" to regard such as not only baseless but silly.

As I was saying in other threads, "The Boy who Cried Wolf." thing is at work. Soon nobody will believe real cases of injustice! In fact, it seems like this stuff is infiltration from anti-PC types - trying to discredit the enemy.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The name of the USA is "United States of America" not "America". America is the name of the continent; though English speakers typically divide it into two Continents, namely North America and South America. The largest land area in North America is occupied by Canada. The USA is the most populous nation in North America and occupies the second largest portion of the land area of the Continent. Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, Argentinians and so forth are all Americans and all live in America. It is no wonder that some dislike the USA using "America" as a short form for the name of the nation.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The name of the USA is "United States of America" not "America". America is the name of the continent; though English speakers typically divide it into two Continents, namely North America and South America. The largest land area in North America is occupied by Canada. The USA is the most populous nation in North America and occupies the second largest portion of the land area of the Continent. Canadians, Mexicans, Brazilians, Argentinians and so forth are all Americans and all live in America. It is no wonder that some dislike the USA using "America" as a short form for the name of the nation.
United States citizens are still "Americans" ;)
I was waiting for you to respond to this thread MC!
Anyway, a person from say Europe can say that they are from Europe, so why can't someone from the Americas say they are from America? Does that missing "s" really offend people?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I find the concept of covering up such a vital working part of a city to be offensive. They should be called access hatches. Never mind the fact that "maintenance" is only slightly removed from the word "man", they should be called "personentance access hatches".

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If people truly dislike the USA for using "America" as a short form I can only assume they have nothing else of any significance to worry about. Is it really any different to the way Germans use their word "Englander" to describe someone from the United Kingdom, even if that person is really Scottish or Welsh?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Get over it is all I can say. How sad that that is all they can get upset by

MeowsePad

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
In Relationship
America, though, even applied to all of "America", is offensive to PC types - because, well, that would be a symbol of white male oppression, no? :yawning: It shouldn't be called America - because it's very arrogant to name a place that you invaded - ha ha.
I think the point is that it is simply incorrect to refer to the U.S. as "America" since America, as others have stated, goes from Canada to Argentina. The fact that people even in other countries refer to the U.S. specifically as "America" shows the influence of U.S. hypernationalism. We in the U.S. really have no reason to view ourselves as being "better" than other countries considering the fact that we are lagging behind the rest of the industrialized world in significant areas that impact quality of life--healthcare and education, for example.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think the point is that it is simply incorrect to refer to the U.S. as "America" since America, as others have stated, goes from Canada to Argentina. The fact that people even in other countries refer to the U.S. specifically as "America" shows the influence of U.S. hypernationalism. We in the U.S. really have no reason to view ourselves as being "better" than other countries considering the fact that we are lagging behind the rest of the industrialized world in significant areas that impact quality of life--healthcare and education, for example.

I think people referring to the US as "America" is simply laziness.

The UK comprises England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland but internationally people are often known as "English" rather than "British". A friend of mine is Welsh and he travels quite a lot around continental Europe. The Germans call him an "Englander" - they have a word for "Briton" (i.e. a British person) but it's very seldom used. He's not English, he's Welsh, but often people in other nations regard "British" and "English" as being more or less synonymous. Even within the UK it's not uncommon for the terms to be considered more or less interchangeable unless it's obvious someone is from a part that isn't England.

Just like sometimes a Canadian gets asked what state they are from, sometimes a Welshman gets asked what part of England they are from. It happens. There used to be a time when people could accept a genuine mistake without acting like it was the greatest insult imaginable.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I find the concept of covering up such a vital working part of a city to be offensive. They should be called access hatches. Never mind the fact that "maintenance" is only slightly removed from the word "man", they should be called "personentance access hatches".

... you got my point.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's also curious that it now seems offensive to refer to a land mass by its name, offensive to make any assumptions that someone might be from the US, while also offensive to say anything that suggests someone isn't from the same country as you. Perhaps we should just revert to grunting and pointing, at least until some genius decides that's offensive too :)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If people truly dislike the USA for using "America" as a short form I can only assume they have nothing else of any significance to worry about. Is it really any different to the way Germans use their word "Englander" to describe someone from the United Kingdom, even if that person is really Scottish or Welsh?

Yes, it is very different.

Had you asked is it any different from the way Welsh and Scottish people call themselves "English" then you'd be closer except that Welshmen and Scots call themselves "English" only sarcastically while USA people call themselves "Americans" without intended irony.

Last edited:

JPPT1974

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Sadly that is the world we live in. Everything sadly is so PC!

Top Bottom