Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

Excellent; not many group therapy sessions are intended to be evangelism. AA, being a kind of group therapy, is not specifically designed to be evangelistic.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Excellent; not many group therapy sessions are intended to be evangelism. AA, being a kind of group therapy, is not specifically designed to be evangelistic.

That's nice.

Did you even read the OP?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I know of people who have been to AA and they accepted that a higher power could restore them to sanity as they were bowled over by alcohol. People have come up with different instances of what a higher power is to them. Can Christian people accept that others do not always have the same higher power or is that a stupid question?

That's nice.

Did you even read the OP?

Yes. Did you?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I know of people who have been to AA and they accepted that a higher power could restore them to sanity as they were bowled over by alcohol. People have come up with different instances of what a higher power is to them. Can Christian people accept that others do not always have the same higher power or is that a stupid question?

I responded first.

What's your response to the OP?

I responded to it before, I think, but if I didn't then okay this is my response.

Ruth, It is not a stupid question and yes Christians can accept that people attend AA and have a different perception of God and that they "Came to believe that a Power greater than themselves could restore them to sanity". Saint Paul gives us a fine example in one of his evangelistic sermons where he said, "Men of Athens, I have seen for myself how extremely scrupulous you are in all religious matters, because, as I strolled round looking at your sacred monuments, I noticed among other things an altar inscribed: To An Unknown God. In fact, the unknown God you revere is the one I proclaim to you." so a Christian may accept that others are scrupulous about their religious observances and, God willing and God providing the opportunity, share the gospel about the Lord Jesus Christ with them if they are willing to hear it.

Hammster, I am not sure why you want to read my response to Ruth, but there it is. I hope it is beneficial to you.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I responded to it before, I think, but if I didn't then okay this is my response.

Ruth, It is not a stupid question and yes Christians can accept that people attend AA and have a different perception of God and that they "Came to believe that a Power greater than themselves could restore them to sanity". Saint Paul gives us a fine example in one of his evangelistic sermons where he said, "Men of Athens, I have seen for myself how extremely scrupulous you are in all religious matters, because, as I strolled round looking at your sacred monuments, I noticed among other things an altar inscribed: To An Unknown God. In fact, the unknown God you revere is the one I proclaim to you." so a Christian may accept that others are scrupulous about their religious observances and, God willing and God providing the opportunity, share the gospel about the Lord Jesus Christ with them if they are willing to hear it.

Hammster, I am not sure why you want to read my response to Ruth, but there it is. I hope it is beneficial to you.

Thanks. It let me see once again how you take things out of context and misapply them.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Thanks. It let me see once again how you take things out of context and misapply them.

I do not understand why you respond to my posts since it is evident from your comments that what I write is not respected or heard as the thoughts of a Christian brother.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I do not understand why you respond to my posts since it is evident from your comments that what I write is not respected or heard as the thoughts of a Christian brother.

I respond to what I feel needs responding to.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I respond to what I feel needs responding to.

Excellent, but since many of your responses are highly inflammatory I'll skip responding to many of them from now on. I'll, like you, respond when I want to ;)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
And another one that feels as I do

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Excellent, but since many of your responses are highly inflammatory I'll skip responding to many of them from now on. I'll, like you, respond when I want to ;)

You've already demonstrated that. :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Back to the OP please or go outside and play :)

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Thou shalt have no other gods(higher powers aka demons) before me.

I still think others can have other higher powers.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I still think others can have other higher powers.

Given that one of the steps is to admit we are powerless, there are many things that are higher powers. In this context, a higher power is anything or anyone who is able to help you out of addiction. That could be as simple as the power in the love of family and friends to give you whatever inner resources you need to address your addictions. I don't really think that's making an idol out of the love of family and friends.

I do believe that for the Christian believer, Jesus Christ is our higher power. For those who are not Christian believers, I think the whole point of the AA philosophy is to admit that there is a greater power than the power within ourselves...that there is a God as we understand him. Personally, I can think of many ways I've understood God throughout the years. One is an unreachable, holy and almighty somewhere on an unapproachable throne in some distant plane of existence. And when I got to know him, God became a Father, and Jesus the "friend who sticks closer than a brother." This is how I understand God. I'm sure there are others who understand him as a Creator, or as a provider, the author of their faith, and for those who are addicted, perhaps they will come to understand God as their healer and provider and strength.

Top Bottom