Why does the KJV talk about a cockatrice?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
According to mythology, it’s like a lizard with a rooster head. But what is the Bible talking about?

08c1fb8a71493c8325dff75d66a3d36d.jpg

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
a poisonous snake

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's a reference to the Phoenix that carved the priestly stones meant for the breastplate

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's a reference to the Phoenix that carved the priestly stones meant for the breastplate
Time in the wilderness till temperance was endured by those whom had not grumbled.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Shabbat Shalom

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
a poisonous snake
The venomous snake was doubt in the wilderness of life.
The cockatrice was an answer and relief to those on the sands of Fire.
So that some would remember a promised inheritance.

Do you recall the number of those that endured by temperance and suffered a 7 fold furnace.?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
According to mythology, it’s like a lizard with a rooster head. But what is the Bible talking about?

08c1fb8a71493c8325dff75d66a3d36d.jpg
How many were in the furnace?
Answers how many times the cockatrice is mentioned.

As for Fire and sand becoming a glass mirror that ole sh'aul once admired.

He learned a valuable lesson about the 10 Windows of the temple and the direction of light.

Curtains are for warmth.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
what is the Bible talking about?

The Scripture doesn't say "cockatrice." Scripture uses the Hebrew word "tsepha"

"Cockatrice" is an OLD ENGLISH word. Scripture wasn't written in English. English didn't exist when divine Scripture was written.

The KJV is a TRANSLATION of Scripture. One of many thousands. It is not Scripture, it's a TRANSLATION of such. And while the KJV is a remarkable translation, it's far from a perfect one. Understandably, it uses 17th Century English, not 21st Century modern Americanism. Sometimes the word used in the translation had a different meaning or connotation 400 years ago in England (as in "Suffer the little children to come unto me"). And sometimes, the translation is just wrong. In 1611, biblical Hebrew was simply not as well understood as it is today.

It is now known that the word "tsepha" refers to a snake, any snake but it seems especially poisonous ones.

Thus, newer translations into English use the word "snake" or "viper" or "serpent."

Simple.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

"Cockatrice" is an OLD ENGLISH word. Scripture wasn't written in English. English didn't exist when divine Scripture was written.

The KJV is a TRANSLATION of Scripture. One of many thousands. It is not Scripture, it's a TRANSLATION of such. And while the KJV is a remarkable translation, it's far from a perfect one. Understandably, it uses 17th Century English, not 21st Century modern Americanism. Sometimes the word used in the translation had a different meaning or connotation 400 years ago in England (as in "Suffer the little children to come unto me"). And sometimes, the translation is just wrong. In 1611, biblical Hebrew was simply not as well understood as it is today.

It is now known that the word "tsepha" refers to a snake, any snake but it seems especially poisonous ones.

Thus, newer translations into English use the word "snake" or "viper" or "serpent."

Simple.

Yea, I know that.
I’m wondering what the KJV translators thought they were translating. Like what that word meant to them in 1611.
I looked it up in Robert Caldwell’s dictionary as well as another dictionary from the 1700’s and couldn’t find it.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Simple.

The teqha opposes the nachash.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The teqha opposes the nachash.
ח וְשִׁעֲשַׁע יוֹנֵק, עַל-חֻר פָּתֶן; וְעַל מְאוּרַת צִפְעוֹנִי, גָּמוּל יָדוֹ הָדָה.

8 And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the basilisk's den.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Simple.

צִפְעוֹנִי

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yea, I know that.
I’m wondering what the KJV translators thought they were translating. Like what that word meant to them in 1611.
I looked it up in Robert Caldwell’s dictionary as well as another dictionary from the 1700’s and couldn’t find it.
Be as wise as____and gentle as__.
The distinction is in spiritual fruits.

Blessings Always

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Simple.

A nonvemous snake that eats venomous snakes

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Be as wise as____and gentle as__.
The distinction is in spiritual fruits.

Blessings Always
serpents, doves.. what do I win?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Do any readers here know how and why a king snake devoured 2 venomous serpents?

Hint.

A scarlet thread reveals beauty
Like a staff gifted to a very good friend.
Shepherding is about trust.

Blessings Always

Top Bottom